Death Wobble....REALLY?!

Chad

Dropped my 04 Rubicon off at dealership to have leaking axle seals replaced and a tire rotation. NEVER had a death wobble in the 6 1/2 months I've owned it. Picked it up after repair and major death wobble. Talk about a 'holy shit' moment. Brought it back to them and told them to do an alignment. They did, I picked it up and death wobble AGAIN, SVEREAL TIMES as I was driving it back to dealership. They called me back today (little did they know I read Eddie's thread first) and said I needed a new drag link end, I called bs and told them 'no' I put a new one on less than 2 months ago. Then they said I need a stronger steering stabilizer, I called bs again and said 'no' the jeep should drive fine without even having one. Then they said I should get a more 'heavy duty' trackbar. I asked them if there was something wrong with the current one, they said 'not really' and I called bs on them again. WTF. I told them I know they did a regular alignment and asked them if they have the capability to do a 'road force alignment' to which I told them 'Then Do It!', then check the torque on the trackbar, and let me know when you're done. It never did a death wobble before you had it, now you need to fix it. Unreal! So aggravating. So now, I will see what happens when they call me tomorrow. Eddie, thank you for your invaluable information! Without it I would be out about $800 by now.

Moabbnd

So seeing that it happened after they did a rotation, did you rotate them back to what they were at before the rotation to see if it occurs? Cheap way of testing

Otherwise, I'd check the hub bolts to see if they were torqued down. The only parts to be removed to change the seals would be removing the axles/hub (3 bolts each knuckle).

In that case, check the tires, check the torque, and check to see if anything is missing

Last edited:

Chad

Yea, I told them to put the tires where they were in the first place, and to check ALL the bolts. I even asked them if the tires were 'out of round' or possible separation, they said all looked good. I'm running 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers, so all should be good. I just feel like they have no clue and are blowing smoke up my butt. Frustrating. Hopefully after the road force alignment all will be good. This is a jeep dealership shop, and its starting to give ma a bad feeling now.

holliewood61

The only thing they really should of taken loose is the unit bearings. It may be possible they didnt get the pulled up to the knuckle when reinstalling them

Top Bottom