Is this normal?- Trektop NX/JKU issue (pics)

GreggNY

I just bought a trektop NX from a buddy that picked up a used JKU with both the hard top and the trektop. He decided he liked the hardtop better for ease of getting things in the cargo area. I installed it today on my '14 JKU with no problems except for the fact that the tailgate bar seems too short. There is roughly 1" of open space on both sides of the bar that leaves an opening. I hosed off the top once it was installed and had to be real careful to not spray water right into the cargo area. Is this how they all fit? Or did I somehow get a short part?

IMG_02071_zpsojv2ukq5.jpg

IMG_02061_zpsovfkb8nb.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Normal from what I've seen. Some will try to find/buy the factory soft top part as that fully extends and forms a better seal at the corners.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
My rear seal goes all the way across. You can check with Beat-Top for the replacement part number.

There was another guy that posted similar to the OP not too long ago. I wonder if BT changed things up or if the OPs is the older model year one that got replaced with the new seal length?

GreggNY

This was just covered recently in another thread...........You need to get the Mopar tailgate bar Mopar part #55395757AC

~Woodrow~

View attachment 144638

Thanks for the replies. Do I need different retainers for the tailgate for the new bar? Or are they the same as the trektop ones?

Quadratec has the bar+retainers:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_400.htm

The part # for just the bar ends in -AD and not -AC here. Same bar??
http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...ChPioL3YsJS9cUvMKaHDmfnVndcqhEPgkpxoCG5Dw_wcB

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
This bar fit my Bestop clips.......if the ones you have are old and showing some wear it wouldn't hurt to get the clips just for good measure....

~Woodrow~

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My bestop bar and mopar bar looked similar. The mopar was a better fit though. That gap doesn't look normal to me.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I don't see your seal in either of your pictures, just the bar...My seal falls off just driving around town and doesnt seal at the corners (probably not at all). Going to eventually get the Mopar rear bar assembly noted above.

King Kork

I have the molar bar but that gap does not look normal. Are you sure the bar isn't backwards or upside down? I've done that once or twice with my mopar bar and it creates a similar gap.

GreggNY

Ok, makes sense that there would be an extra piece in there. Anyone know if the MOPAR replacement tailgate bar comes with this seal or would I have to order that separate?

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Ok, makes sense that there would be an extra piece in there. Anyone know if the MOPAR replacement tailgate bar comes with this seal or would I have to order that separate?

The mopar bar looks to have the seal adhered to it. The seal also has more/better coverage.

GreggNY

Just to follow up in case any one else was having a similar problem, the mopar bar arrived and slides right on. The fit is perfect and it seals all the way to the edges. I really don't know why Bestop didn't just use this bar/seal to begin with.

IMG_0284_zpsfgvb0g33.jpg

IMG_0285_zpshqzrrupt.jpg

Top Bottom