12v switched to run KC Lights

Just installed a set of KC lights and I'm done less the final wire hook up. There is white wire that to be installed directly to the battery which connects to the switch in the cab that triggers the coil in the relay. Ok...but this means you can turn the lights on without the key in the on position. Hmm.

Looking to hook the white wire to a switched 12v source instead, help avoid me leaving the lights on or some smart a$$ turning them on when doorless in a parking lot.

I looked at the fuse box adjacent to the battery and one could pick up a switched source there but not sure how to route the wire and not violate the weather seal of the fuse box.

Looking for advice and suggestions.

Thanks

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Looks like you have an '08. Tap the wire in your cab going to the switched 12 volt outlet. There is plenty of power there to run your switch. That power passes through your switch and triggers the relay. I presume your relay is wired directly to the battery (like it should be).

Probably a little late now, but you should keep your relays pretty close to your battery if possible. Make sure the direct lead from the relay to the battery has an inline fuse.

Thanks for the response. Yup 08, it's late here in the East will check your suggestion out tomorrow.

Yes relay installed nice and close to battery and wired to battery as you noted on the load side.
I'm anal that way, even do wire loam on all wires.

Cheers

Top Bottom