Black Bear Pass, CO

bigtrucker52

Hey everyone! From the videos i've seen of Black Bear Pass in Colorado it looks like a pretty tough trail. I'm currently stock and i was wondering if I could make it on the trail stock if i make it out to Colorado before i lift my jeep. For those that have been on it, is it possible for a stock 2door to make it through? I have a feeling that I won't be able to judging by the videos I've watched on YouTube

2Cross

Caught the Bug
HAHAHA :naw::thinking::doh:

You should be fine doing Black Bear Pass in a stock jeep, as one of my friends did it in his grand. I would just make sure you have your brakes checked first.

Ditto. A stock jeep can do this trail easily. Won't be open until around the end of June or early July. They've had a ton of late snow this year.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Yep. As others have said, your jeep will do fine. It's more psychologically unnerving than technically challenging. Being that you have a 2-door, the tight switchbacks should be a bit less hairy than my unlimited. With all the weather we've been having, it's a good chance the trail won't be open until late July or early August. We've gone camping in that area for the last 6 years for July 4th and its only been open twice if memory serves me correct.

CerOf

you will be fine and im showing the trail is already open.

Black bear is still closed. I use Switzerlandofamerica soajeep.com for my reference on trail openings in that area.

As for stock making it? Should be super easy. The tour companies take full size trucks on it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
HAHAHA :naw::thinking::doh:

You should be fine doing Black Bear Pass in a stock jeep, as one of my friends did it in his grand. I would just make sure you have your brakes checked first.

Lol. Good one!!

Maybe check your brakes before the trip??? Hear they came in handy.

Who was the one that lost their brakes in the "Keep it Tight" JKX video?

A good friend of mine has a built CJ-7 that he has had for years. Twice since he has owned it, it has lost brakes. Both times on Black Bear. Nothing leaks, the pedal just all of a sudden will go to the floor. The first time it happened, he thought it to be a bad booster/master cyl so he replaced both. Never had an issue until he got on Black Bear again and lost the pedal for the 2nd time. He was able to keep his wits and pumped it several times. They came back. His Jeep doesn't like Black Bear apparently and is trying to kill him. LOL.

Top Bottom