Reason Behind the JL Wrangler Delay

Out of curiousity, how many of you jk-ers plan on swapping to the JL?

We are waiting to see for sure, but we will more than likely end up with one. It will be an add to the stable. The orange one my wife DDs will become my son's (If he proves himself responsible and earns it).

I was keeping an open mind to the IFS/IRS. (Remember I laid eyes on some of the test arms and they looked fairly beefy). I was bummed about the AL body. I worked very closely with the forming and stamping lines for the current AL F-150 and am impressed with the alloy. I had and have a feeling the AL body was a bargaining thing with Toledo. (They were bluffing leaving to get tax cuts.) The companies that were successful with the ford body are also suppliers to Fiat and Chrysler yet were never even talked to or given an opportunity to quote stamping and forming machines for Jeep. :thinking:

This has been eluded to but not directly pointed out....

The JL will need to have a drastic MPG improvement. With no IFS/IRS, no AL body, and increasing safety requirements saving weight seems out of the question. So, I expect to see a turbo 4-banger and more aerodynamic body. I'm not sure how I feel about either.

Brent McCartney

The JL will need to have a drastic MPG improvement. With no IFS/IRS, no AL body, and increasing safety requirements saving weight seems out of the question. So, I expect to see a turbo 4-banger and more aerodynamic body. I'm not sure how I feel about either.

I'm glad I bought a 2015.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Just curious..when does everyone think we'll start to see true concepts of the JL be leaked?!

I think it is still a long ways off, because I dont think they even know what they are going to do yet. If all of the major changes are going away that would have distinguished the JL from the JK, I say just offer the Mopar 60s and a V8 as options. That would be enough for me to buy one! :thumb:

JamesWyatt

Half will probably be turbo 4 cylinders and the rest... "Here's your fucking diesels, assholes. Enjoy!" :p

AU Bronc N JK

Out of curiousity, how many of you jk-ers plan on swapping to the JL?

I haven't made up my mind.. I'm still debating whether or not to pick up an additional JK at the end of this year (a 2DR to go with my 4 dr). I'll have to wait and see what the jeep engineers come up with before making that decision..

However, as a mechanical engineer myself (and having worked as a design/testing engineer for one of the big 3 Motor Companies), they/we, the engineers, generally come up with some great designs and highly functional suspensions, engines, transmissions, etc (ie Ford's SVT group and Chrysler's Mopar Underground group). Then when the finance groups (CEO's, accountants,etc) get involved, all of the great ideas and functionality usually goes out the window and has to become 'affordable' and appeal to the 'general public.' Not just the 'avid offroaders' or 'road course racers' (for autos) etc. I'm a jeep and car enthusiast and it's my passion, and one of the main reasons I became a mechanical engineer... However, I now work in the Nuclear energy/power industry, as I couldn't handle having fully functional designs thrown out the window just bc the accountants said, 'too expensive' or 'not practical for the money and general public/soccer moms.' - Hence the success of our Vendors (like EVO, Trucklite, King, etc) for enabling everyone to build/enhance their vehicles as they see fit!!

That being said, I'll have to wait and see what JEEP decides to produce with the new JL before making my decision to add one to the stables... otherwise, i'll be purchasing a second JK!!!

Luke

TrailHawk

If anything, I think the success fo the JKU has caught the competitions attention. So now Ford, Land Rover, and maybe even Toyota are going to try to get in on the action. Hopefully, this will just make the JL better. I'd love to see a Wrangler with Land Cruiser build quality and attention to detail.

Very interesting observation about Ford, Land Rover, and Toyota (and maybe Chevy or GM?). I've wondered it they may try to bring something new to the market. Maybe the Ford Bronco but do you think Toyota already tried and failed with the FJ Cruiser or perhaps, as some have said, that was a intentional one generation vehicle.

Either way it would be great to encourage Jeep to make more quality improvements.

By the way, I've been over on the toasterjeep.com forum for a while but joined here to learn more about the Wrangler.

TRAILN

With all the recalls that Jeep /FCA are plagued with at the mo, I'm a little concerned that we'll even see ANY Jeeps into the future! :(

dagdag

If IFS / IRS is so much better in your opinions. Why do you guys have wranglers? Why not an FJ cruiser or a Ford raptor?

dagdag

Speaking strictly simple geometry. Many of you have long arms for obvious reasons. If you take those long arms and turn them sideways you end up with a significantly wider track width. You simply cannot maintain the same arc of travel with independent suspension without going wider. I agree it's nice to have one wheel not affect another 25% of the wheels. However it will always cost you a tighter arc (smaller radius) of movement. Unless you go wider...

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Speaking strictly simple geometry. Many of you have long arms for obvious reasons. If you take those long arms and turn them sideways you end up with a significantly wider track width. You simply cannot maintain the same arc of travel with independent suspension without going wider. I agree it's nice to have one wheel not affect another 25% of the wheels. However it will always cost you a tighter arc (smaller radius) of movement. Unless you go wider...

I understand geometry and I've also seen how wide a JK is with full width axles. Still not seeing your point.

CREEPR

I understand geometry and I've also seen how wide a JK is with full width axles. Still not seeing your point.

With ifs you expose all the drive train as each wheel can be stuffed/bottomed out. While this is great for driving on roads or high speed on slightly uneven ground due to being independent of the other wheels, this could be catastrophic when going over rocks.

You will not win an ifs > sfa on a Jeep forum.

thardy

Banned
With ifs you expose all the drive train as each wheel can be stuffed/bottomed out. While this is great for driving on roads or high speed on slightly uneven ground due to being independent of the other wheels, this could be catastrophic when going over rocks.

You will not win an ifs > sfa on a Jeep forum.

You're right but it can also be done, it's just a different mind set. For IFS/IRS, you would want an almost complete smooth underbody skid. There's benefits to both. So the the only "losing" in this debate is the person that isn't open minded enough to be interested in what an IFS/IRS Wrangler could be capable of.

Top Bottom