All things Colorado

Good for this time of year? GPS would be great. Thanks.

Driving down tomorrow, spending half the day, then continuing on to Canon City where we have a cabin for two night.

Not been to Garden of the God's in 12 years and don't know the area at all.

You can go on upper gold camp road if it's open or old stage road is not bad with good views of the city

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Good for this time of year? GPS would be great. Thanks.

Driving down tomorrow, spending half the day, then continuing on to Canon City where we have a cabin for two night.

Not been to Garden of the God's in 12 years and don't know the area at all.

Probably too late, but just realized you will also be near Pikes Peak. I hope you guys have safe travels.

GraniteCrystal

Great time in the mountains near Canon City

Family and I had a great time this weekend in the mountains. Left Friday and drove to Garden of the Gods

IMG_20160212_112911.jpg
PANO_20160212_111457.jpg
Juniper Loop is the main loop through the Gardens. Did a time laps of the second half of it:

Then went to a cabin we rented for the weekend. Here is a timelapse of the drive up:

And here are some shots of the sunset taken just above our cabin:
IMG_20160212_165505-EFFECTS.jpg
IMG_20160212_174740.jpg

Got one with the moon in it:
IMG_20160212_174757.jpg

Did some hiking around the area on Saturday:
IMG_20160213_092945.jpg
IMG_20160213_141305.jpg
IMG_20160213_143304.jpg
IMG_20160213_154605~2.jpg
IMG_20160213_160735.jpg

On the way back to the cabin, checked out the General Store. Got to meet the owner, an elderly gentleman who said they used to serve steak dinners for 70 people a night back in the hay day, but they were getting too old to run it and would probably stay closed permanently.
IMG_20160213_162035.jpg

He also owned one of the coolest Jeeps I've ever parked by. He said it was a 1967 Brush Hog, but he may have been a little shaky on the year. He welded the differential and modified it to plow snow. Said the thing was a little beast:
IMG_20160213_162049.jpg

On the way back to Denver, we stopped by Rosie's cafe, which was awesome. Totally old school diner serving good food. Worth checking out:
IMG_20160214_111546.jpg
IMG_20160214_111153.jpg
IMG_20160214_114606.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Sweet pics! Glad you had a good time. I was in the springs and the gardens on Saturday keeping an eye out if I saw your rig.

GraniteCrystal

Sweet pics! Glad you had a good time. I was in the springs and the gardens on Saturday keeping an eye out if I saw your rig.

Any info on cabin or pics

Would've just missed each other. We were there on Friday.

Cabin was off air bnb. The views were amazing, the cabin itself left something to be desired. Had to bring our own tp, no dish soap, dead gecko in one of the books, crappy cookware, etc. For two nights it was $380 after cleaning fee, etc. I can pm you a link if you want it. Not a bad experience but could've been a lot better with a little effort from the owner.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Would've just missed each other. We were there on Friday.

Cabin was off air bnb. The views were amazing, the cabin itself left something to be desired. Had to bring our own tp, no dish soap, dead gecko in one of the books, crappy cookware, etc. For two nights it was $380 after cleaning fee, etc. I can pm you a link if you want it. Not a bad experience but could've been a lot better with a little effort from the owner.

Airbnb is awesome. Sure would like the like. If you are ever up again and need a place I can send link of Casita we stayed in in Colorado Springs.

We are going to make two or three trips to the mountains this summer to look at towns and houses in the mountains. I typically trailer the Jeep from Iowa/Illinois as my back can't take driving the Jeep 850 miles each way. Do any of you have any ideas how to begin to find a place for my crew cab pickup and 20' trailer for a week at a time? I'm not afraid to spend what it takes for reasonable safety. Parking it in a Walmart parking lot for a week and hoping it is still there when I return is not likely the best idea. Thoughts?

GraniteCrystal

We are going to make two or three trips to the mountains this summer to look at towns and houses in the mountains. I typically trailer the Jeep from Iowa/Illinois as my back can't take driving the Jeep 850 miles each way. Do any of you have any ideas how to begin to find a place for my crew cab pickup and 20' trailer for a week at a time? I'm not afraid to spend what it takes for reasonable safety. Parking it in a Walmart parking lot for a week and hoping it is still there when I return is not likely the best idea. Thoughts?

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32818

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hit some places today if I can get my frickin phone to work. Pics to come.

We drove Skyline Drive.

http://www.royalgorgetravel.com/skyline-drive

Also, we completed one of the Gold Belt Scenic Byway trails called Phantom Canyon Road. This place was absolutely breathtaking. There are several turn offs you can stay and camp or have a nice lunch by a stream. There are a few bridges and tunnels as well. Got on it about 3:30 from Canon City took about 2 hours and ended up in a mining town called Victor. Then went around the mountains through Woodland Park, Manitou and Colorado Springs to home.

Look forward to hitting Shelf, High Park, and Teller down the road.

Here is the link for anybody wanting to on.

http://www.goldbeltbyway.com/index.php/map-guide

:beer:

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Found this cool rocking chair outside of Penrose.

IMG_20160220_100925.jpg

A few of old building by the Canon City Prison Museum built in the 1900's.

IMG_20160221_115145.jpg

IMG_20160221_115322.jpg

IMG_20160221_132453.jpg

Top Bottom