Whats going on with my keys??

TJM

Hi all,

I have a strange issue with my wife's '07. Sometimes, when we get near the Jeep, it unlocks on its own - doors unlock, lights go on, the whole bit. Just a few minutes ago I locked the doors with the key fob and it unlocked about four seconds later. I relocked it and it stayed put, but I don't know if it's a problem with the key fob or the electrical system.

The battery died two days ago, so we had it jumped and it was dead again today. I just finished replacing it. Could the door lock issue be tied to the battery dying?

Hopefully someone has experience with this because it's all Chinese Hula Hoops to me.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Sounds like you have a short in your door lock system. Chances are it's not your key or key fob it's happening while you are away as well. Pull your door lock fuse and see if it stops.

TJM

I thought about that, but haven't figured out which fuse to pull yet. As long as the key fob is within site of the vehicle it seems to be happening. It's weird.

I will post more if I figure anything out.

TJM

So according to a preliminary inspection it might be something with the motherboard. Apparently there was more going on than my wife filled me in on, like all the dashboard lights and indicator/warning lights coming on at once while on the highway. I don't think that's a key fob issue. It will get a deeper look in a few days and I'll let you know what the name of the gremlin is.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Check your battery cables and make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. May also have your battery tested. I've seen dying batteries cause all kinds of electrical issues on the newer vehicles.

TJM

Check your battery cables and make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. May also have your battery tested. I've seen dying batteries cause all kinds of electrical issues on the newer vehicles.

I checked the cables and the battery, and ended up getting a new battery. It's still going on though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried taking your key apart to make sure the buttons aren't jammed in a depressed position under the cover?

Top Bottom