Old good year mtr vs new duratracs

BlackBandit

The old good year mtr and the new duratracs look almost identical I was wondering which performs better off road and which one lasts longer?

Grubbicon

I ran a set of older mtr 37s on my rig. They absolutely blew. They were probably about 10 years old which didnt help but I still wasnt thrilled with them. Im running the new version in a 40 and they are a ton better. Like everyone else tried to get the trail grapplers but settled for mtrs. The sidewall is still running strong all though I doubt they will last.

I haven't heard about a "new" Duratrac either.

We run both Goodyear tires. 37 MTR/K on mine and 35 Duratrac on the wife's. I have been very happy with both once I got them balanced. (Don't bother trying any other technique than a Road-Force.)

I know my experiences with the MTR are different than most here. Ultimately, I think it comes down to heat and geographics. They seem to do well here out east and not so well out west. I will say as the tires have aged I have begun to get more and more side cuts. Nothing too deep, but a point of concern.

My wife's Duratracs are amazing. The crap the mild tread pattern sticks too is dumbfounding. Especially in wet or slick conditions.

BlackBandit

There are no new duratracs but they are newer then the old mtr styled ones that came stock on the Jeep tj that they don't make anymore, the duratracs look almost the same and I liked the old mtr performance so I was wondering if the duratrac can perform or out perform the old mtr

suicideking

If it's an AT, it will be better on road than an MT, but not as good off road. I'm on my second set of MTR/K and they have never let me down.

Wardell

I don't know much about the MTRs, but a pretty common complaint about the Duratracs is that they have lower than average tread life. I think a lot of that is due to the winterized rubber compound they're made of - it's a bit softer and doesn't wear quite as well as a normal tire.

Mind you, the Duratracs are 6 years old now. When you compare them to newer winter rated tires like BFG's KO2s or Nitto's Exo Grapplers, both companies are promising significantly better tread life. I'm assuming that's because they've come up with better rubber compounds since the Duratracs were released that are longer wearing yet still keep good traction in the cold. That said, the KO2s and Exos are only just coming up on a year since they hit the market, so it might be a bit early to find a good long term review to compare with.

Top Bottom