OE Fender Cleaning

SWRUBI

Washed and detailed the Jeep yesterday and used a small amount of Pledge on the OEM plastic fenders and the transformation was pretty spectacular. Was too lazy to go pick up a bottle of Back to Black and figured I'd give it a try -- results were excellent. Just thought I share the experience.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine that Pledge would work well but I'd have to wonder if over time the wax in it will build up in the pores. Be sure to let us know how it works out in the long run.

georgi.photo

Soooo. I have been wondering about this. I have tape residue still stuck on my fender from when I was cutting the fender. I used googone and rubbing alcohol to no avail. Anyone have suggestions to clean that up?

Peak

I've been using the mothers back to black. Once mud reaches it it's starts to fade away after a wash. I will have to try these other ways out.

DMF

I'm not a big fan of Turtle Wax but their back to black works great! It's like tire shine but you can lean up against it without getting your clothes dirty.

jrutrubi11

Believe it or not the as seen on tv product called wipe new works awesome!!! It is intimidating to spend $15 on such a small bottle of product but it works and last for many months. One bottle will do one whole jeep including bumpers, fenders, door handles, winch and still have a little left over. I put that on my hood hinges.

JKMag

I use something called 303 Aerospace Protectant, I thought someone from here had recommended it but I found it on Amazon and read some of the reviews of people using it on their Jeeps. I do like it and it seems to work, I just started using this summer so time will tell i guess.

USMC Wrangler

I used Back to Black for a year and wasn't impressed. In my current climate it faded within a day or two.

I recently switched to 303 like JKMag mentioned and it lasts much longer, as in weeks instead of days.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I used Back to Black for a year and wasn't impressed. In my current climate it faded within a day or two.

I recently switched to 303 like JKMag mentioned and it lasts much longer, as in weeks instead of days.

303 works great but is pricey and hard to find unless you order it online.

Havoc40

When I first bought me Jeep, I religiously used back to black every wash (which it needed). Went through about 5 bottles of the stuff. Besides for being expensive, it didn't last long, and was a PITA to apply when the fenders were really bad. I tried 303 a few times and wasn't really impressed for the $$ either. Now I just use Meguiar's Natural Shine...same stuff I use on the interior. Works great, quick to apply, and lasts longer than Back to Black or 303.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g4116-natural-shine-protectant-16-oz/

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I really think the secret to keeping oe fenders looking black is starting off with a good base. The top half was scrubbed good, the bottom half has little pores filled with dirt, wax build up. If I were to wipe with any kind of product, the top would look and stay blacker longer.

Attachments

• 1435590320059.jpg
    1435590320059.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 143

SWRUBI

Washed and detailed the Jeep yesterday and used a small amount of Pledge on the OEM plastic fenders and the transformation was pretty spectacular. Was too lazy to go pick up a bottle of Back to Black and figured I'd give it a try -- results were excellent. Just thought I share the experience.

UPDATE - Here is the result. For comparison, take a look at the hood latches.
IMG_0280.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I would imagine that Pledge would work well but I'd have to wonder if over time the wax in it will build up in the pores. Be sure to let us know how it works out in the long run.

Bingo....pledge is full of wax....and oils...the oils make the plastic looks nice and shiny...for a while...as it dries, it will leave the wax and they will be whiter and whiter....more than they were to begin with. IF you want black fenders without damage, use vynilex or 303. :thumb:

BRUTICON

My jeep has maybe seen 10 days of full sun since I bought it in February but on my Dodge Ram, I use AutoMagic interior shine on the plastics and they look super black and slick but do not have that greasy feel to them. I can post a pic of the container later if any of you are interested. One would assume that since both vehicles are Mopar, the plastic trim is made from pretty similar material and the same product would render similar results. Another thing I've noticed that helps a lot is to pressure wash the trim after every off-road trip to get rid of all the super fine dust that nestles down into the textured surface.

Top Bottom