Anyone running 14 " coilovers with double throwdown?

jeeper52

LOSER
Hey guys im wondering if any of you are running 14" coilovers with the Evo double throwdown system. I haven't received my shocks yet but i do have access to a set of 14 " coilovers. Just thought id see the pros and cons to running a longer shock up front. How much higher will the jeep sit over 12"shocks? Ride quality? and any difference between flex between the two?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey guys im wondering if any of you are running 14" coilovers with the Evo double throwdown system. I haven't received my shocks yet but i do have access to a set of 14 " coilovers. Just thought id see the pros and cons to running a longer shock up front. How much higher will the jeep sit over 12"shocks? Ride quality? and any difference between flex between the two?

They used to do a 14" coil over kit and stopped making them. That should tell you enough.

KrawlerJK

Probably a LOT higher when you're running 44" meats!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Hmmm. I dont think so. Not that i can remember anyways lol

Anyways, I don't think they would fit. The towers are probably the correct length for 12" shocks.
14" shocks are pretty big. Plus on your jeep, the front drive line comes into play.

jeeper52

LOSER
They sit stupid tall, and you do not get anymore wheel travel.

I saw on King's website the 12 inch coilover fully extended was like 31 inches and the 14 inch coilover fully extended was like 36 inches fully extended. Does the additional length just go straight to lift? Or do you gain droop as well?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I saw on King's website the 12 inch coilover fully extended was like 31 inches and the 14 inch coilover fully extended was like 36 inches fully extended. Does the additional length just go straight to lift? Or do you gain droop as well?

He said you do not get anymore wheel travel. That means no more droop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you want any decent amount of up travel, you will need to set your ride height no less than 2" higher. Of course, you will NEED to get matching bypass shocks to go with them. Ride quality will be questionable due as whatever you can get your hands on will not have the same spring rates or valving as the EVO coil overs that they specifically sell with their kit. You will NOT get any more droop with this kit as it is IMPOSSIBLE to get "more" useable droop.

Would different spring rates help at all with keeping the ride height lower?

LOL!! Sounds to me like you're determined to run 14" coil overs so just do it. Just know that you will have a stupid tall ride height and will need to run limiting straps in order to do it. Why? Because unlike the lame ass Rebel kit, the amount of droop the DTD towers WILL provide will cause your front drive shaft to BIND at a full droop. But hey, who needs a front drive shaft that actually turns :crazyeyes:

KrawlerJK

If you want any decent amount of up travel, you will need to set your ride height no less than 2" higher. Of course, you will NEED to get matching bypass shocks to go with them. Ride quality will be questionable due as whatever you can get your hands on will not have the same spring rates or valving as the EVO coil overs that they specifically sell with their kit. You will NOT get any more droop with this kit as it is IMPOSSIBLE to get "more" useable droop.

LOL!! Sounds to me like you're determined to run 14" coil overs so just do it. Just know that you will have a stupid tall ride height and will need to run limiting straps in order to do it. Why? Because unlike the lame ass Rebel kit, the amount of droop the DTD towers WILL provide will cause your front drive shaft to BIND at a full droop. But hey, who needs a front drive shaft that actually turns :crazyeyes:

And you'll have to find a 120" high lift to change a tire!!!

Baja

DTD spring rates?

Can you tell me what the DTD kit spring rates are for the two coils in the font. I assume that they say on them, but haven't looked. I just got this kit and while it is very awesome, I have zero preload on my front coils and have plenty of lift with 37's and stock fenders. I want to lower it a little when I get fenders, but its not looking possible. Also, I would like it just a hair more plush. As of now, I have the compression tube valves backed all the way out and I cannot get more than 1/2 of the uptravel that I have available on the bypass (I put zip ties on the shafts to monitor movement) I would think I would want at least an 1" of preload, no?

Thanks

ChaosNein

The 14" Coil-Over is NOT recommended for a number of reasons. A major reason is that the system needs to be "limited" so much with the 14" coil-overs due to driveline bind that and they yield LESS travel than the 12" coil-overs, making it worthless to have them. The vehicle also sits way too high and does not offer the same Highway ride quality as a result.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The 14" Coil-Over is NOT recommended for a number of reasons. A major reason is that the system needs to be "limited" so much with the 14" coil-overs due to driveline bind that and they yield LESS travel than the 12" coil-overs, making it worthless to have them. The vehicle also sits way too high and does not offer the same Highway ride quality as a result.

^^^^^ Whoop, da it is!

Baja

Rates

Can you tell me what the DTD kit spring rates are for the two coils in the font. I assume that they say on them, but haven't looked. I just got this kit and while it is very awesome, I have zero preload on my front coils and have plenty of lift with 37's and stock fenders. I want to lower it a little when I get fenders, but its not looking possible. Also, I would like it just a hair more plush. As of now, I have the compression tube valves backed all the way out and I cannot get more than 1/2 of the uptravel that I have available on the bypass (I put zip ties on the shafts to monitor movement) I would think I would want at least an 1" of preload, no?

Thanks

I just looked at my springs and saw that they are 250 over 250.

ttfhell

I understand but why?

Top Bottom