Bead locks?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Another thing, I wouldn't trust my life with those diy bead lock kits. No thanks.
Slabs, chamber pro or spyderlock are the best.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
This is why they aren't street legal. Happened to my buddy on way to moab on freeway at 75mph twoyearsago. Needed new shorts about sums it up.

Yikes! While that definitely looks like a pretty nasty failure, I would probably put money on there were some preexisting issues with that beadlock prior to the failure you posted. Whether a handful of broken bolts or loose bolts, something "triggered" that failure.

Also, that ring looks really thin. Maybe it is just the picture, but I would venture a guess that a Slab/Spyderloc ring is twice, if not three times, thicker than that ring.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Yes the slabs etc rings are much thicker like I said above. Having seen both and even not running them id say they are definitely better.

Ya I just said the ones I bought aren't the best, not afraid to admit it :)

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Do you guys know if the spyderlock and slab rings are still interchangeable? I know SL changed something with the bolt sizes. Been thinking about them for my new project.

utiadam

LOSER
Do you guys know if the spyderlock and slab rings are still interchangeable? I know SL changed something with the bolt sizes. Been thinking about them for my new project.

I believe they are interchangeable. I don't think they have changed anything on the bolts as far as I know. When I first mounted up my chamber pro 2s I stripped one of the thread inserts. I called up SL to order replacement inserts, bolts, and the insert install tool. There are apparently 2 different types of inserts available based on the type of bolts you have. The easiest way to tell they told me was the color of the insert. Mine were black thread inserts with some sort of red dry loctite.

BigBoy

"Like those" as in, they have small bolts and thin rings that sandwich the tire bead but never really sit metal to metal. That more than the bolt heads being exposed can/will lead to bolt failure. But hey, that's just what I have seen over the years. You can take it for what it's worth.

Great info. This is the first I have seen someone mention the thickness of the ring and not the fact that the bolts are exposed. I knew there was a reason, thanks for the added details.

So how many of you run beadlocks on your DD? Would you recommend doing so?

I do and as long as you keep up on checking the torque on your bolts I don't see a problem with it

Exactly what coz said. After the first 100 miles of having beadlocks on I had a couple bolts come loose but ever since then they have all stayed tight. Still check them every oil change though.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

I do and as long as you keep up on checking the torque on your bolts I don't see a problem with it

Exactly what coz said. After the first 100 miles of having beadlocks on I had a couple bolts come loose but ever since then they have all stayed tight. Still check them every oil change though.

Same here. Been running Slabs for about 11,000mi and have been very happy with them. I checked them at the 100mi mark and then every oil change thereafter (roughly every 6k). I did find a few bolts short of torque at the 100mi check, however, not one loose since and I just checked them again yesterday.

2Cross

Caught the Bug

I've been running the heavy Hutchinson rock monsters for 43,000 miles on my DD. I recommend it. I might have one bolt loose when I retorque them at my oil change (5,000 miles).

So I basically second what everyone says. As you have read they are DOT approved and that's why I picked them. I'm sure the slabs are excellent. But I never considered them at the time because they aren't DOT approved.

Suprchrgd_rubi

I'm looking at at the slab or pro from atx, but my other choice is rock monsters. Those are my three I'm trying to choose between for my DD

Top Bottom