Bead locks?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I wanted the rock monsters, and did plan to get them but the back spacing is not idea for our jeeps, especially if you intend to run coilovers. I didnt think I would ever be getting a set, but still wanted the 3.5" back spacing and not have to run a spacer.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I wanted the rock monsters, and did plan to get them but the back spacing is not idea for our jeeps, especially if you intend to run coilovers. I didnt think I would ever be getting a set, but still wanted the 3.5" back spacing and not have to run a spacer.

Great point about the back spacing. I have the rock monsters and I don't like that there isn't a rock ring. My rims are torn up and eventually I'll switch to the slabs.

Moabbnd

Any feedback on Walker Evans? I really like their beadlocks, but all I hear about are Racelines, ATX, SL, and Hutchinson

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Any feedback on Walker Evans? I really like their beadlocks, but all I hear about are Racelines, ATX, SL, and Hutchinson

Loved my Walkers. Other than the bolt heads being exposed. I snapped several off. Easy to fix.

I might even go back to Walkers for my new jk

RockyJk

Loved my Walkers. Other than the bolt heads being exposed. I snapped several off. Easy to fix.

I might even go back to Walkers for my new jk

Their new design has the bolts sunken like the slabs/prochambers

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been running the Chamber Pro II since March. put them on about a week before heading to Moab, did the torque check as instructed and haven't had any loose bolts since - they've covered a lot of miles.

I decided on the ATX because of the sunken/ larger diameter bolt, thicker rings and just looked easier to mount (they are easy to mount) and they were polished (sort of).

I do wish I had treated them with Sharkhide or similar aluminum sealer before mounting them but I plan to pull them and give them a good polish and sealer coating in the Fall.

Depending on the beadlock, they will hold the water even when moving. I keep an old chamois to get rid of standing water but wish they had some drain holes.

jk12blk

I've been running the Chamber Pro II since March. put them on about a week before heading to Moab, did the torque check as instructed and haven't had any loose bolts since - they've covered a lot of miles.

I decided on the ATX because of the sunken/ larger diameter bolt, thicker rings and just looked easier to mount (they are easy to mount) and they were polished (sort of).

I do wish I had treated them with Sharkhide or similar aluminum sealer before mounting them but I plan to pull them and give them a good polish and sealer coating in the Fall.

Depending on the beadlock, they will hold the water even when moving. I keep an old chamois to get rid of standing water but wish they had some drain holes.
speaking of water, I swapped my 37 tires out this weekend for 40s. I noticed my ATX slabs had rust in every wheel bolt hole and every lock ring bolt has rust as well. I used a small pipe brush to clean out the wheels and used my wire brush wheel on my grinder to remove the rust from the bolts. Everything looked good once cleaned and re-assembly went smooth. I know the ATX lock ring bolts are larger than most, but now I'm curious if these bolts (zinc?) can rust overtime. Maybe htey are stainless - not sure. I'm going to call ATX and see what they say. I assume the rust on the bolts is coming from the wheel, so maybe the bolts themselves are ok. I mention this as simply checking the bolt torque periodically may not be enough maintenance. Might be a good idea to clean each wheel thoroughly periodically as well.

Big b

speaking of water, I swapped my 37 tires out this weekend for 40s. I noticed my ATX slabs had rust in every wheel bolt hole and every lock ring bolt has rust as well. I used a small pipe brush to clean out the wheels and used my wire brush wheel on my grinder to remove the rust from the bolts. Everything looked good once cleaned and re-assembly went smooth. I know the ATX lock ring bolts are larger than most, but now I'm curious if these bolts (zinc?) can rust overtime. Maybe htey are stainless - not sure. I'm going to call ATX and see what they say. I assume the rust on the bolts is coming from the wheel, so maybe the bolts themselves are ok. I mention this as simply checking the bolt torque periodically may not be enough maintenance. Might be a good idea to clean each wheel thoroughly periodically as well.

The rust comes from the threaded inserts. Some ATX wheels come with corrosion resistant bolts some do not.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
If one were to buy bead locks, say with 35" or larger tires in mind, would a 17" rim be a better investment than a smaller rim?

I'm assuming that sidewall strength would be a bit better with a larger rim. Is my thinking wrong?

JakeJK

If one were to buy bead locks, say with 35" or larger tires in mind, would a 17" rim be a better investment than a smaller rim?

I'm assuming that sidewall strength would be a bit better with a larger rim. Is my thinking wrong?

Smaller rim=cheaper tire but most everyone here likes 17s because the wider variety of tire sizes that are available with it

Top Bottom