West Texas - Big Bend Ranch State Park 7/3 or 7/5

Mikead40

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone will be in the area...I'm going there to do some exploring either this Friday or Sunday.

Here's a guide to the roads there http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf

I've been out there a bunch. It's amazing - I'm sure you'll have a great weekend. Just a heads up, the trails in the state park are not well marked. That PDF you posted is quite helpful though. The whole place is incredibly remote. Nothing too challenging from an off roading standpoint, but well worth the trip for the stunning scenery. I'm curious to see how the trails have changed since all the rain we've had in TX this year. I'd love to see pics if you take any.

Checkout the Starlight Theater in Terlingua for dinner if you have time. Try to catch a sunset from their front porch - you won't forget it.

Anyway, have a great trip, travel safe.

**EDIT** I just looked up where brewster county was - I now realize I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't already know. haha, my bad.

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

**EDIT** I just looked up where brewster county was - I now realize I probably didn't tell you anything you didn't already know. haha, my bad.

Ha ha, no worries. I'm pretty familiar with the national park, Study Butte, Terlingua and Lajitas. I just haven't ventured into the state park much, so really looking forward to it. I'll post pics when we get back.

Wish I was closer, wife and I want to spend some time there, but its a full blown trip from the DFW area...

I hear ya. It is the middle of nowhere.

Mikead40

Ha ha, no worries. I'm pretty familiar with the national park, Study Butte, Terlingua and Lajitas. I just haven't ventured into the state park much, so really looking forward to it. I'll post pics when we get back.

Here's an (admittedly crappy) video I made of the east casa piedra trail out to Casa Ramon in BBRSP. It's a great area to go explore. The trees in the little alamita creek bed are a great place (lots of shade under the surprisingly tall trees) to eat lunch. We would've gone further past Casa Ramon but it was thanksgiving and we had to get back in time for a dinner reservation. We also did the Los Alamos loop - which was a really fun and moderately challenging in a couple of places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6YAOIeHkes.

USMC Wrangler

I actually watched your video a few days ago! Thanks for posting it!

We actually hit the pool today at Terlingua Ranch. We will probably go to the state park Sunday or Monday...

USMC Wrangler

Well, still haven't made it out to the State Park. Now that it is officially hotter than the surface of the sun, I may wait until fall or winter. :naw:

Mikead40

Well, still haven't made it out to the State Park. Now that it is officially hotter than the surface of the sun, I may wait until fall or winter. :naw:

Probably a good idea - it was beautiful in late november. The trees in the little alamitos creek basin were bright yellow at their peak foliage color then.

Kumar

Thanks for the update USMC! The heat index is pretty high here in San Antonio too. We're looking at renting a place in Lajitas for a few days the week of 8/10, just waiting on the property management to get back with me.

USMC Wrangler

Glad to help. I just wanted you to know what you're getting into to avoid disappointment. Let me know if you have questions. Again, I'm not an expert on the area but am familiar enough to get answers for you.

Mikead40

Thanks for the update USMC! The heat index is pretty high here in San Antonio too. We're looking at renting a place in Lajitas for a few days the week of 8/10, just waiting on the property management to get back with me.
If you haven't been there...La Jitas is awesome. You'll have fun for sure. Enjoy!

Top Bottom