Squealing/screeching noise from under jeep

Randonizer

I have a 2014 JKUR with a rc 6.5 in lift and rc drive shafts. Whenever I first got the lift installed (last summer) I got a loud screeching noise from the bottom of the jeep. Eventually the noise went away. Now after an entire winter the noise is back. Sounds like it's coming from a driveshaft. Only makes the noise while it's moving and recently has only been starting by the time I get to fourth gear. Maybe the summer heat causes the issue??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You had a loud screeching sound and it just went away? Are you sure it's from the drive shafts? Front or rear? Can you reproduce the sound with your Jeep on jack stands and drive shaft turning?

Randonizer

You had a loud screeching sound and it just went away? Are you sure it's from the drive shafts? Front or rear? Can you reproduce the sound with your Jeep on jack stands and drive shaft turning?

Yeah it just went away for several months and now it just came back. Makes no sense I know. I can't pinpoint where it comes from but sounds like it's coming from directly under the jeep where the transfer case is. I'll try to get a recording but the sound only comes randomly when driving.

Randonizer

Video two. Can hear the noise a lot more towards the end. Once I get to a lower speed you can hear the noise stopping.

dillard09

I'm with eddie. You should try and put it up on stand and rotate everything and see if you can pinpoint.
How long did it do it the first time? And how long has it been doing it now? Anything else change on your jeep? New parts or reapirs?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I only hear the whining at :18 of the second video. Don't think that it's coming from the jeep. :idontknow:

Randonizer

I don't hear anything abnormal.....

I'll try to get a better video. Definitely is a squealing noise going on. It's hard to hear in the first video because of the tires. It the second you can hear it all the way until :22 on the video then it just stops. It's not a loud noise. Kind of sounds like something grinding more than a whine.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked your profile, are you really running factory drive shafts with your crazy tall 6.5" of lift?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First post says he's also running the rc driveshafts.

Thanks, I see that now :doh:

I still say if you can get your jeep on jack stands and recreate the sound that way, it'll help you to track down where the problem is coming from. Sounds have a way of traveling throughout a Jeep and just because you hear it from under your center console doesn't mean it's originating from there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you check the dust shield on the brakes? Sounds like metal on metal to me.

Definitely metal to metal. If I could guess, it's the dust shield on the pinion or yoke. I have seen that happen a lot and is why I typically remove them before installing a new yoke.

Randonizer

Definitely metal to metal. If I could guess, it's the dust shield on the pinion or yoke. I have seen that happen a lot and is why I typically remove them before installing a new yoke.

Where is this dust shield on the pinion? I'll crawl under my jeep during my lunch break and see if it's loose.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Where is this dust shield on the pinion? I'll crawl under my jeep during my lunch break and see if it's loose.

Not all drive shafts come with it but if yours did, the dust shield will sit on the base of your pinion yoke and sit next to the differential housing. You would need to remove the yoke to remove the shield or, you might be able to cut it off with a dremel and cutoff wheel. It won't be loose but may be rubbing against the housing.

Top Bottom