First Time Differential Oil Change

Mr.Mango

Bare with me. I fiddle around a bit but this is my first diff change. I am fairly capable and not afraid to try but it's the little things that I worry about.
Had some concerns and questions.
First, getting that silicone seal off was just painful. I would say I got 98% of it. Left some very thin, small spots. Will this cause issues later?
Second, when I created the new gasket, I waited 5-8 minutes before mounting the cover. When I tried lining up the cover and bolt holes, I smudged the line up. Had to manoeuvre it around a bit. Will this cause it to not create a decent seal?
Lastly, the RTV seal I used suggested a 1 hour wait before torquing to spec and then 24hrs before refilling. Is this standard?
Like I said, little things, but they all add up.
Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First, getting that silicone seal off was just painful. I would say I got 98% of it. Left some very thin, small spots. Will this cause issues later?

No, you should be fine.

Second, when I created the new gasket, I waited 5-8 minutes before mounting the cover. When I tried lining up the cover and bolt holes, I smudged the line up. Had to manoeuvre it around a bit. Will this cause it to not create a decent seal?

Probably not. So long as you kept the cover pushed up against the housing while you were maneuvering it around, you should be fine.

Lastly, the RTV seal I used suggested a 1 hour wait before torquing to spec and then 24hrs before refilling. Is this standard?

Depends on the RTV you used. If that's what it recommends, you might want to follow their directions.

Mr.Mango

No, you should be fine.

Probably not. So long as you kept the cover pushed up against the housing while you were maneuvering it around, you should be fine.

Depends on the RTV you used. If that's what it recommends, you might want to follow their directions.

Thanks. Guess I will find out tomorrow if I will be doing it again. Least I will get more experience doing it.

egralia

When I did my diff fluid change I took the cover off to inspect the gears. Good thing I did it because one of the shims back out.

Mr.Mango

So, diff seal seems ok, so a win for me.
Leak is still present. Seems to be running down from where the drive shaft enters. Just learning the terms, so be patient. Included a pic.

Attachments

• 1435862435941.jpg
    1435862435941.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 71

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, diff seal seems ok, so a win for me.
Leak is still present. Seems to be running down from where the drive shaft enters. Just learning the terms, so be patient. Included a pic.

Looks like a pinion seal leak to me. Being that you just had new gears installed, I would say this was caused by installer error. I know you said it was a drive but, it might be worth it to have them take care of this under warranty.

Mr.Mango

I am guessing that this would be way out of my comfort level then? I will likely take it to a local shop and eat the cost. Unfortunately, taking it back to this shop will likely require me to leave it with them and after my last experience, I will not do this. How much shop time would this be?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am guessing that this would be way out of my comfort level then? I will likely take it to a local shop and eat the cost. Unfortunately, taking it back to this shop will likely require me to leave it with them and after my last experience, I will not do this. How much shop time would this be?

Well, in order to replace the inner seal, you would need to pull your carrier. Getting it back together again and right might be out of your comfort zone.

Mr.Mango

Kind of what I thought. No worries. What's a few more bucks at her.
Thank you very much for the straight answers. Love this site.

Top Bottom