Rubicat Caged Up with a Rock Hard Sport Cage

Holeshot

Banned
ho mann, I was balanced between the rockhard and the orfab, but the rockhard look much better imo. There's one thing though that would make me choose the orfab, is the floor bracket.

I have two related questions also.

First, With a rollcage installed, Cb mounted at the same place, would it block access to a spod swith panel? It would be easier with the cb a little more rearward, like with the kc bracket flipped to the rear.

And with the cb installed there, can you see well in the rearview mirror?

And by the way, I'm jealous :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was just looking at this kit online. Did they offer the black, or is that something you had done?

no, they only come in bare metal. i had one on my old TJ and on it, i painted it - came out great but the prep work was a pain and for the amount of time it took to do, i decided to just get them powder coated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ho mann, I was balanced between the rockhard and the orfab, but the rockhard look much better imo. There's one thing though that would make me choose the orfab, is the floor bracket.

i installed the or-fab kit on our old 2009 jk. it's a good kit but a real pain to install. as far as floor mounts go, they are nice to have but, maybe a bit over-rated. i've seen a jk after it rolled 3 times out in johnson valley - totalled the JK but the rock hard cage without floor mounts held up amazingly well. it was enough to convince me that it would do the job without them.

First, With a rollcage installed, Cb mounted at the same place, would it block access to a spod swith panel? It would be easier with the cb a little more rearward, like with the kc bracket flipped to the rear.

i don't think so but, i would never run an spod so it makes no difference to me.

And with the cb installed there, can you see well in the rearview mirror?

with the mic installed, the cord does get in the way but even without it, i wouldn't be able to see past my spare.

Yeahright

Eddie, Does the hard top fit properly without leaking(much) with one of these cages I don't tend to take the hard top off all that often.

Last edited:

GCM 2

Did you have to modify the top where the clamps mount? I've seen some people have had to cut their hard top to fit correctly.

I had to trim my hard top freedom panels and my soft tops door surround brackets to fit with the Rock Hard cage. Have not met anyone that has not had to do it.

Nicholas

He uses a Gear Keeper for his CB mic. I have the same setup and works great. You can zoom in on the pics in this write up and see the gear keeper.

Yeah I have the same thing but in the pic I was wondering where he go his attachment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, Does the hard top fit properly without leaking(much) with one of these cages I don't tend to take the hard top off all that often.

Did you have to modify the top where the clamps mount? I've seen some people have had to cut their hard top to fit correctly.

I had to trim my hard top freedom panels and my soft tops door surround brackets to fit with the Rock Hard cage. Have not met anyone that has not had to do it.

What GCM 2, you will need to trim your hard top freedom panels in order to maintain a proper leak free fit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, what did you use to mount your cb mic attachment? 3m tape?

He uses a Gear Keeper for his CB mic. I have the same setup and works great. You can zoom in on the pics in this write up and see the gear keeper.

Yeah I have the same thing but in the pic I was wondering where he go his attachment

I used double stick tape to secure the Gear Keeper box to the side of my CB. I'll try and take a pic of this when there's more light out.

08GumbyJKU

Reviving and old thread (whoops) Eddie, I've read around that some have issues with dash bowing from the RH cage. Have you had issues/heard of others? I'm going to guess it had to do with installer error, but seems it's happened multiple times.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Reviving and old thread (whoops) Eddie, I've read around that some have issues with dash bowing from the RH cage. Have you had issues/heard of others? I'm going to guess it had to do with installer error, but seems it's happened multiple times.

Happened to a friend of mine who had a very reputable shop install his. Not sure what the cause is but its noticeable if you know what to look for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I have not had this problem on either of the two Rock Hard cages I've installed on my JK's but, I have had this problem with the OR-Fab cage installed on my old 2009 JK. The problem comes from the A-Pillar supports pushing on the side of the dash. For the most part, you won't even notice any bowing but, when it warms up or you have your defroster on with heat, it'll soften up the plastic and cause it to bow. The fix is to trim the sides of your dash plastic where the A-pillar supports push on it. I hope that helps.

SFNick

When I installed my cage I also had some bowing in the center of the dash. I took it all back apart & trimmed the edges of the dash a little more for clearance & I haven't had any issues since. But this was a ORF cage not sure if it's the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom