Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

Anybody know who makes this roll cage?
Definitely not our cage - but it does look like it's time to fire up some C&D letters. As that cage is an illegal patent violation we'd appreciate you helping support American jobs by not posting any further information regarding the cage in that photo or directing traffic to the infringing company. Please contact us via private message if you do have any further information regarding that cage that could help our legal team identify the parties involved in the cage design, production, and distribution.

Last edited:

whytiptoe

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a question in regards to the cage and the freedom top. How difficult is it to get the freedom top off, or can you still use the freedom top? If anyone has any photos that would be an awesome help. Thanks in advance.

CCTX50

The top works like it was intended. With the cage installed it does not interfere with installing or removing the Freedom Panels. Now I will say that you will have to trim a little off the inner portion of each panel where the knuckle is. Minor cosmetic work and you cannot see that you did anything when they are installed. When they are off no big deal. Does not weaken the tops any. Great cage though. I don't have any picture right now. But there are some floating around the web that I have seen.

whytiptoe

The top works like it was intended. With the cage installed it does not interfere with installing or removing the Freedom Panels. Now I will say that you will have to trim a little off the inner portion of each panel where the knuckle is. Minor cosmetic work and you cannot see that you did anything when they are installed. When they are off no big deal. Does not weaken the tops any. Great cage though. I don't have any picture right now. But there are some floating around the web that I have seen.

Thank you, I figured they would be able to be used just couldn't see how you where going to get to the back center latch to get it open.

Jzsquared

So I just finished my Sportcage install the other day and wanted to pass on a little tip to save someone else some disappointment. Now to be clear I like the cage very much it took a while to get it to fit right but the end result is great. The issue I had was I installed the cage without the final power coating added so the bare metal blended in with the aluminum frame behind the side panels and didn't notice until after I stepped back for the final inspection that I noticed how much the aluminum stuck out. I have since purchased some touch up paint and I still haven't finished with the painting because it's a pain to get in there with a brush.
I didn't want to risk removing the entire cage because know my luck I would scratch something. So in a nutshell paint the aluminum frame behind the side supports BEFORE you install, if not it sticks out like a sore thumb with the doors off.

I don't have a before pick of mine but this is the area and with a dark color jeep it really pops out

Here is mine with the first coat of touch up

Here is a shot using the camera flash as you can see it needs a few more coats.

Just a few with the cage

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
So I just finished my Sportcage install the other day and wanted to pass on a little tip to save someone else some disappointment. Now to be clear I like the cage very much it took a while to get it to fit right but the end result is great. The issue I had was I installed the cage without the final power coating added so the bare metal blended in with the aluminum frame behind the side panels and didn't notice until after I stepped back for the final inspection that I noticed how much the aluminum stuck out. I have since purchased some touch up paint and I still haven't finished with the painting because it's a pain to get in there with a brush.
I didn't want to risk removing the entire cage because know my luck I would scratch something. So in a nutshell paint the aluminum frame behind the side supports BEFORE you install, if not it sticks out like a sore thumb with the doors off.

I don't have a before pick of mine but this is the area and with a dark color jeep it really pops out

Just a few with the cage

The color match on the cage looks great!

Just a few with the cage

That color looks great! Good idea on painting the aluminum.

Looks like you had a little bit of an issue on the template line up. Using an extra plate on the outside for bracing?

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug

Just a few with the cage

That color match looks great! I'm thinking about doing the same on my Anvil JK when I get a Rockhard cage.

Last edited:

Jzsquared

That color looks great! Good idea on painting the aluminum.

Looks like you had a little bit of an issue on the template line up. Using an extra plate on the outside for bracing?

Yes I guess I misunderstood the directions and placed the template closer to the outer edge. I had to make the holes oval to get it to bolt up so the plate was my way of covering it up. I think it turned out ok. The drivers side lined up better and I didn't need a bracket on that side. I did however paint the bolts and brackets so it blends better.

Yes I guess I misunderstood the directions and placed the template closer to the outer edge. I had to make the holes oval to get it to bolt up so the plate was my way of covering it up. I think it turned out ok. The drivers side lined up better and I didn't need a bracket on that side. I did however paint the bolts and brackets so it blends better.

Yeah, I wouldn't have even noticed except that I was looking at how good that paint look. Still looks great to me.

What's the difference between the RH1030 and the RH1030-1L ?

Hi guys,

I am having a bit of a Dilemma about this Roll cage/ Sports Cage.

I am not questioning its qualities I've read few reviews which were all really good and if Eddie and Cindy decided to fit it to their Jeeps that's another proof that it is indeed good stuff.

My issue is this one: I live in UK so the cheapest option for me to buy from US (shipping and Import Duty wise) is via eBay as lots of Big US Retailers (and I mean related to Jeep) are nowadays selling on eBay.

The problem is my Jeep is a 2008 2 Door Rubicon (see picture below) and the Rock Hard Cage that would fit mine is the RH1030 and I can't find one. The only one for sale are the RH1030-1L for the 2011-16 models.

Could someone tell me what is the difference between the RH1030 and the RH1030-1L ?

Would the RH1030-1L fit the older JK models? If not is it something I could modify to make it fit?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Attachments

• 4X4 Magazine Front Page  Pic 2.JPG
    4X4 Magazine Front Page Pic 2.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 286
Hi guys,

I am having a bit of a Dilemma about this Roll cage/ Sports Cage.

I am not questioning its qualities I've read few reviews which were all really good and if Eddie and Cindy decided to fit it to their Jeeps that's another proof that it is indeed good stuff.

My issue is this one: I live in UK so the cheapest option for me to buy from US (shipping and Import Duty wise) is via eBay as lots of Big US Retailers (and I mean related to Jeep) are nowadays selling on eBay.

The problem is my Jeep is a 2008 2 Door Rubicon (see picture below) and the Rock Hard Cage that would fit mine is the RH1030 and I can't find one. The only one for sale are the RH1030-1L for the 2011-16 models.

Could someone tell me what is the difference between the RH1030 and the RH1030-1L ?

Would the RH1030-1L fit the older JK models? If not is it something I could modify to make it fit?

Thanks for your help.

Chris
The RH-1030-1L and RH-1030 are significantly different as the dashes are significantly different between the old and new design. One cannot be modified to fit the other. Any authorized dealer of ours can access both cage systems for resale. We do not sell on eBay as a manufacturer.

The RH-1030-1L and RH-1030 are significantly different as the dashes are significantly different between the old and new design. One cannot be modified to fit the other. Any authorized dealer of ours can access both cage systems for resale. We do not sell on eBay as a manufacturer.

Thanks for your reply. I would have thought that apart from some minor cosmetic changes the cabin was the same in all JK. I was wrong.

I've already got a shipping quote from one of your authorised dealer. If i can't find one on eBay I will have to go that route.

Top Bottom