Rock Hard 4x4 JK Sport Cage Installation Write-Up

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Looks good all finished up.

Man thanks for the help.
[wv running

storeQUOTE=CCTX50;458137]Looking really nice. I am hoping to get my cage back from powder coating tomorrow and get it installed ASAP. I will post up pictures when install is complete. I have a white JK with black interior. I decided to go with white paint to contrast. I hope that it turns out the way I pictured it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it was a slow process. But I'm glad I have it in there. did you you install yours already?

big dr

I'm not sure of the exact color. the guy that painted it said it was a jeep color. I assumed it was one of the colors you could get from factory. I like yours a lot. Do you paint your yourself?

Oh hell no,,, I was just tired and worn out from the install, removal, and re-install. Had mine powered by a local shop.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I put tape over the dash on passenger side but never had a problem on driver side it slipped right in without touching dash.

FYI trick to save the dash! We installed one this weekend in a 2013. I cut a piece of plastic from a washer fluid jug and used it under the part that slides over the dash. Zero scratches with the 3 slides across the dash! Worked great.

FYI trick to save the dash! We installed one this weekend in a 2013. I cut a piece of plastic from a washer fluid jug and used it under the part that slides over the dash. Zero scratches with the 3 slides across the dash! Worked great.

I was there I know all about your trick.

upnover

Any of you with soft tops had issues with leaks? since I had installed the top cross bar it sucked in the sides and the door doesn't fully seal. I am not sure if I need to loosen something up and adjust.

Any of you with soft tops had issues with leaks? since I had installed the top cross bar it sucked in the sides and the door doesn't fully seal. I am not sure if I need to loosen something up and adjust.
Take a look at your door surrounds and make sure our collar isn't hitting it. May just need a little more trimming. That could cause the surround to bow or not sit as it should and provide a proper seal. Also make sure your collars are oriented the right way - flats on caps should face upwards where they secure to your factory cage section above your doors. Please feel free to PM or email in photos of your cage - we may see something you can adjust to solve your leak.

Don't forget we also have an Open Tech Line thread on WAYALIFE.com we check near hourly for anyone needing assistance.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24222-WAYALIFE-com-Rock-Hard-4x4-Open-Tech-Install-Support-Line

great write up! this is incredibly helpful in deciding how i want to go as far at getting these. i wish more products had this level of detail.
thanks!

colo dean

Colo Dean,,,
What happened to the pics of the candy green we were promised??
Due to the cold weather took a bit longer to get back from powder coat. Just finished the install, will get photos up tomorrow. Still have to trim the drivers side plastic but other than that its done!!!!!

colo dean

Thank you!

A few more, just finished cutting the drivers trim piece, little too dark to get a shot of that but did manage to get the blue tooth mic cut in just to the side of where it originally was. Didn't get the padding kit with the cage but made a cover with some canvas, padding and velcro. Not exact but close in color.
Used some door trim on the cut edges of the trim but need to find something else or some glue as it doesn't want to stay on all the time. May just need warmer weather before putting it on.
IMG_4998_zpstnydvqvk.jpg
IMG_5002_zpsdtxtiozd.jpg
top w/homemade padding/cover
IMG_5006_zpsjgvljssx.jpg
IMG_5013_zpsyymh26l8.jpg
IMG_5007_zpsqatwwidp.jpg
All in all, very happy with it. Had a couple snags with the install getting things lined up but nothing too drastic.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Love my cage! Thanks for a great product.

Attachments

• 1426387862604.jpg
    1426387862604.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 513
I installed the cage this weekend. It came with a lot of hard edges, a few pointy areas and some choppy welds so I took an angle grinder and smoothed them out.

Thanks again for the write up. And the video was great too.

Attachments

• rckHrdCge.jpg
    rckHrdCge.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 533
Top Bottom