Buying Backup Lighting - help and suggestions please

UNLIMITED_FUN

Hello,

I want to add some backup lights to my rear bumper area. My replacement LED tail lights just aren't bright enough for me to see properly at night, esp with the tinted windows. Other people can tell I'm in reverse, but I can't see behind me so well.

My thoughts are to add some of the 4 LED flood type lights to the bumper in an area where they aren't as likely to get knocked off, but I would prefer not to spend big bucks on it.

Does anyone have some LED light suggestions for the bumper or tire carried that you're happy with?

I was thinking something along these lines of the Pro Comp 2x2 Square LED Flood Lights as a pair. I don't know how many lumen these are or how bright, but they've got to be better than what I have now.

These are slightly less cost than the RIGID versions. I can place these at the far end of the bumpers where the tire carrier arm won't knock them off etc.

Thanks for your input before I pull the trigger on the July 4th weekend sales.

Also I'm interested in these products if you have opinions or experiences, thx in advance:

Poisen Spyder PSC17-04-112 License Plate Delete Plug

Rock Hard RFPRH4006

Smittybuilt S/B4430 Front License Plate Bracket

TeraFlex TER4808401 Mud Flaps

asullivan920

I put two 50 watt lights from walmart ($20)on the back of my truck. Have a switch in the cab for when I need the light. I mounted them under my bumper so I didn't want to pay to much for something that could get broken easily.

UNLIMITED_FUN

That's some fine solid logic there!

I suppose at 50w ea it would be better to switch them al la cart than all the time. Don't really need them in well lit parking garages etc.

I'll poke around the Wally site and see if they still exist etc.

Thx again for the info, much appreciated.

Gmwelder86

Goto amazon find water cheap led lights you like and order them. At this point I've got two 2" cube lights to the side and a 6"light bar going straight back. All said probably 50-60 bucks in lighting and no problems setting up camp in the dark.

Trembley

I have some of those amazon cheap led lights, single row 6 led's. Less than a year in...finish on the fins is shot and water inside..can't take them apart and dry em out either.

You get what you pay for...I'd consider something else.

Rccrwlr

If your moving your license plate you could mount them from the bottom of the tail light housing

UNLIMITED_FUN

Thanks for the suggestion!

I bought expensive LED tail lights so I prefer not to tamper with those housings.

If I buy the Rock Hard license plate relocation, maybe I can just add a bracket to that and add a couple of small lights?

plext0r

I would consider some of the Eyourlife LEDs on Amazon. I bought some of these for my son's 2008 JKU:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EJFH6YA

Since we had read about possible water filtration, we bought a $5 tube of flowable silicone sealant and sealed all around the front lens. My son has powerwashed the Jeep multiple times and no clouding or leaking so far.

Eyourlife appears to make 4-LED squares, but they appear be spot and not flood. I would imagine for reverse you want flood lights.
EDIT: Something like this might work.

Last edited:

UNLIMITED_FUN

Thx plext0r !

Ironically I have the same style lights in my cart at Amazon from another seller

I can ensure they are waterproof with some silicon too, and mount them above the license plate in the wheel on the tire carrier and angle down and slightly to the left and right.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I picked up these 1.5" square 10w LED lights for my reverse lighting. Each one puts out 900 lumens so they work really well and are pretty low profile.i found them on Craigslist for around $20ea. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436054685.811317.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436054698.076597.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1436054761.707876.jpg

UNLIMITED_FUN

While I had the "Nilight 2pcs 18w 1260lm Cree Flood Led Work Light Bar Off-road SUV Boat 4x4 Jeep Lamp 4wd" in my cart, they went on the lightening deal, so I bought 2 pair.

They arrived in 2 different box styles and insulation, packaging but they are the same lights.

I hooked one up to a 12v battery in my office and BAM these suckers are bright! I might put them on a switch and just use as needed.

I need to make a bracket to bolt around the tire carrier or spare then do the wiring.

Last edited:

P1TBU11

I've got a pair of those to mount on my rear crossmember. Just got to drill one hole.

Have them on the a pillars and I agree that they are bright. Well worth the $9/each I spent.

UNLIMITED_FUN

In the end I added these two Nilight 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree LED Flood Beam lights to the rear tire mount to and above the License Plate Relocation bracket.

I used 2 L brackets and bolts I had in my garage. I angled them off to the sides a tad on purpose. These are hella bright enough and have come in very handy in parking garages and at camp sites etc. The relay for these is wired to the BU light hot wire through the hole to the tail light wiring.

I also added small beads of silicone to the screws and lens edges, and cut some XPEL Headlight Protection film to them so the never get scratched up. I have 2 on the rear and 2 on the front.

I'm very happy with the results, this was an affordable easy to do project that just took the usual amount of time to plan and figure out on the fly.

lidless07X

Rigid Industries sells some flush mount lights that can go right in the spot where your stock back up lights are. They are VERY bright. You just cut out the little clear lens in your stock tail lights and these go right in. There are some write ups somewhere.

Top Bottom