Finally popping the question.. but where in Colorado should I do it?

Tx07JKU

Hello fellow WAL'ers! I hope all is well, and that there is mud on your tires. :driving: I need your wisdom and advise.

I am finally going to ask my girlfriend to marry me. We both go to college here in Texas, but plan to relocate to Colorado after our degree's are complete next fall. We have a Colorado vacation planned for the first week in august. I want to ask her when we are on a trail with great scenic views. The big question is, what trail to choose? We will be in a 2007 JKU X, stock suspension and 285 BFG KO2's. Also, we are staying outside of Fairplay, Co. Thank you all for your input! :beer: Cheers!

Black Beaver

I don't live there. But I have seen lot of pictures form Yankee Boy Basin, and Crystal City. Both have great scenic views. Congrats by the way hope it goes well.

Shamrocked

Look on trail damage.com. There are 6 trails around FairPlay. Most are forest service roads. Rated a 2 or a 3. This is from Weston Pass. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435953846.617512.jpg
There are a ton on pics on the site.

Tx07JKU

Thanks Hobolobo! :thumb:

Thanks Black Beaver! I will look into those, I have heard a little about Yankee Boy Basin, and Crystal City. Definitely makes the list! I just received my Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book in from amazon today.

Ok Shamrocked, I have seen traildamage.com referenced before, but have never explored the site. Thanks for aiding me in my search for the right place! That picture looks awesome!

CastleRockJeep, thanks for the suggestion. That's not too far of a drive, I think google maps says its 3 1/2 one way. I tend to drive from Lubbock to Houston (8 hours) to see family... but I might enjoy this drive! lol! :thumb:

Thanks for the input guys! Keep the suggestions coming! We really love nature, and I want it to be special for her... Cheesy moment sorry!

Tx07JKU

Run wheeler lake. It's not far from FairPlay and there's a sweet alpine lake at the top. Here's the link on trail damage.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=40

In the Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book it says that wheeler lake has several large rock obstacles and is not recommended for stock Suv's. Do you think that my rig could take it? It's a stock suspension X with 285's and no armor. I'm not afraid to push my rig, it's just that I dont want to go looking for trouble. lol.

t8er

In the Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails book it says that wheeler lake has several large rock obstacles and is not recommended for stock Suv's. Do you think that my rig could take it? It's a stock suspension X with 285's and no armor. I'm not afraid to push my rig, it's just that I dont want to go looking for trouble. lol.

There's bypasses on all of the obstacles except the gatekeeper. There was a large rock pile at the top but that's been blasted away. We've gotten stock tacomas up there and keeps like yours. You may drag the belly in a spot or two but that's about it.

CastleRockJeep

Not really any 4 wheeling but a good hike and one of the prettiest lakes anywhere:
Hanging lake:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435964705.614740.jpg

It's near Glenwood Springs..

Coloradan

You could drive to the top of Peak 10 in Breckenridge, that way you could spend the rest of the day in town and drive back to Fairplay that evening. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435972373.855847.jpg

boardsurfer

From Fairplay I would run either Twin Cone or better yet, Red Cone. Literally drive to the top of a mountain peak. It's gorgeous.

Top Bottom