Fire Extinguishers....where and how is yours mounted?

sjd78

I was thinking it would be cool if we could get some photos of where and what mounting method was used to mount our fire extinguishers? Maybe even the year of the jeep, brand and size of extinguisher so we'll know if the location is feasible? Thanks!

I'm away from my jeep but will post a photo later today....

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Over the years I'd say 99% of people have them mounted to the rear rollbars in some fashion, or to the front seat. I have rarely if ever seen it any other way.

Highly suggest you do a dry run for a fire scenario. You'll quickly move the fire bottle as close to the driver seat as possible. This is a personal pet peeve and everyone is welcome to their own method, but rear mounted fire bottles really need to be rethought.

Imagine you are smelling smoke, someone yells that your Jeep is on fire, or if you are lucky, you see the flames first. Most likely not the case though as fires typically are near your t-case or engine bay.

So, your Jeep is on fire.
1. If on grass or brush, drive to an open area. Putting out your Jeep is one thing, putting out the brush or grass that could inevitably burn your Jeep down is another. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
2. Put Jeep in park. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
3. Turn off Jeep. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
4. Unbuckle seat belt. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
5. Open door. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
6. Climb out. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
7. Accessing rear mounted fire bottle: open rear door and reach around rear bench, open tail gate, lift hardtop lid, or lift / unzip soft top window. Fumble with soft sided mount or pull metal pin from mount. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
8. Locate source of flames. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
9. Pull pin. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
10. Aim bottle away from you. (9 or 10 are interchangeable depending on your adrenaline and panic level). (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)
11. Fight fire. (YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)

SaddleTramp

I mounted mine in the same locations as Branman above with the same PSC soft mounts but turned them around to help keep them from shooting out of the wraps in case of a front end impact.

Wardell

I have mine right beside me at all times. View attachment 155253

I'm interested in what mount you got too. That looks perfect.

I'm thinking about mounting two: once either beside the driver's seat like the pic, or mounted to the centre bars on an aftermarket roll cage (when I ever get one) so that both the driver and passenger can reach it. The other will be mounted on the tire carrier, and it's is more for assisting someone in another vehicle (or for someone outside the Jeep to help me) as well as for use in camp.

cfr

...(YOUR ADRENALINE AND PANIC LEVELS ARE UNHEARD OF)...

Are you a fire fighter or fire survivor? Seems like your (good) advice is coming from personal experience.

I had a engine-compartment gas fire in an old POS nearly 30 years ago. My extinguisher was next to the driver seat and I managed to put it out without hurting myself (you're spot on about panic and adrenaline). I've since had kids, have more insurance, and have a new perspective. Get your passengers to safety and THEN figure out if you really want to fight a fire. Right now, I'd only fight it if it were going to put others at risk (e.g., in the garage or would start a brush fire). Otherwise, I'd let it burn to the ground rather than risk injury.

OJK12

what mount did you use? I kind of like it right there just because its closer to me as what Rock Hard said in there post above.

Well that's just a Walmart special fire extinguisher that they carry. They carry an auto (bc) and this one (abc). The red one comes with a really cheesy short mount but the auto one comes with this mount. So I just swapped the mounts when I grabbed this one. It's really not that great of a mount, it's just all plastic but it serves it's purpose very well. It just fits between the door and the seat. I try to keep the nozzle at an angle so it doesn't get slammed in the door. I had my last one in the rear on the roll bar and I moved it here on my new JK for the exact reason Hard Rock says. Now I have half doors with different door panels so I'm not sure how it will work out with full doors and their door panels but I love mine where it's at.

mcsjk

I have mine on the roll bar by my head. It's in a neoprene sleeve with a Velcro strap and a rope strap to hold it in place (I believe it's made by smittybilt). In the event of a fire I can grab it on my way out of the jeep without very much added time.

GraniteCrystal

Reviving an old thread for some more pics. Just got this and need to mount it up. Anyone make their own homemade mounts? Not afraid of sewing or drilling but I like it when it just bolts on. The thing came with a mount but I need to mount that to the Jeep.

Attachments

• 1467948783658.jpg
    1467948783658.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 357
  • 1467948796009.jpg
    1467948796009.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 362

Tree Frog

Good thread, got me thinking. (Dangerous I know)

5 lb mounted with a very large velcro strap in back.
Thought is this, if there is a fire, I get out then make sure everyone else is out and away. Then go about fighting the fire.
If wheeling in the bad fire season I carry an extra 5 lb. er right behind the drivers seat.

Rock Hard posted up some good ideas.

For you guys with the extinguishers mounted right by heads, does this not scare you?

One of my next big mods is going to be some sort of fire suppression system. I just start looking at all the stuff Summit has and get overwhelmed.
What size bottle? What type? How many nozzles? Placement of the nozzles?

TRLJNKY

Ive never had to deal with a fire suppression system due to fire but Ive had them pop off due to gremlins and couldnt imagine them going off while driving down the freeway at 70 mph. Granted thats a halon system. Nothing worse than not being able to see and breathe. My point is just make sure you seriously research pros and cons. In a race application sure. In a surface street situation Im not necessarily sold on it being the safest option for everyone on the road. Just an honest opinion.

benatc1

Hooked
bartact holder on the roll bar, high quality and holds it very well

Attachments

• 1467953189376.jpg
    1467953189376.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 346

Sharkey

Word Ninja
One on each front seat. If my engine bay is on fire, I want access to the extinguisher as I'm getting out of the vehicle.

Top Bottom