Anyone run Barret lake trail?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
After measuring, it looks like from sidewall to sidewall is about 82"ish. So probably ring to ring is closer to. 80" like Bobby said.

jk12blk

Cruised up to Barrett today to see if my jeep would fit through the gates. I'm ~85" wide (outside rubber to outside rubber) - running ATX slabs with 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers, tires are 12.5" wide. Although I went to check the gate, I actually aired down and decided to run some of the trail, then it started dumping rain. I had no windows with me so I decided to turn around as I was getting soaked. It must have been a few miles off the trail before I could clear the rain cloud and air back up. Anyway, a fun trip for sure and looking forward to hitting this trail sometime soon.

IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7844.jpg IMG_7845.jpg IMG_7846.jpg IMG_7847.jpg IMG_7848.jpg IMG_7850.jpg IMG_7851.jpg IMG_7853.jpg

ClarksAdventures

Oh boy! Now I'm excited! In two weeks I'm headed down for a rubicon trip. We have enough time to run this one too now that it's open.

jk12blk

Absolutely. I'm from the PNW. So this will be my first California wheeling trip. I've heard what kind of great trails are down there, and even more excited to run as many as I can while I'm there.
You will have a blast. Though I've never run Barrett, I think you've picked two great trails within close proximity of each other. I don't know how much time you have, but there several great trails all within 3-4 hours of each other. If we were not already doing Fordyce in two weeks, we'd be on the Rubicon and Barrett too. As it stands, I don't expect to see Barrett until late Aug/early Sept, so looking forward to seeing your pics. Have a great trip!

ClarksAdventures

You will have a blast. Though I've never run Barrett, I think you've picked two great trails within close proximity of each other. I don't know how much time you have, but there several great trails all within 3-4 hours of each other. If we were not already doing Fordyce in two weeks, we'd be on the Rubicon and Barrett too. As it stands, I don't expect to see Barrett until late Aug/early Sept, so looking forward to seeing your pics. Have a great trip!

I'm leaving Portland friday the 14th after work. And I don't have to be back at work till Monday morning on the 24th. So anything is open to possibilities. We have no plans other than to have a 10 day epic adventure!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Woo hoo! Thanks for the gate/trail update along with this pics! Now I really want to head up there and run the trail!

CA - When you guys wander down here in a couple of weeks, if it looks like you may run Barrett, let us know. I sure you would end up with a few tag alongs! :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ran about half of it last week - past all the new stuff/trail. The gate is new too and now measures 86" across - verified it with a tape measure. Trail is a LOT easier that I remember. Bridge is like the one at Ellis Creek only a lot narrower and with a wooden deck. The new route in this area reminds me of some of the trails out by shaver lake. I'll post some pics when I get home.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rubicat measures 84" wide and we were able to squeak by without too much fuss. Moby would be a different issue altogether.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438481240.756685.jpg

Quite literally, we had about an inch on either side of our wheels.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438481254.931051.jpg

As mentioned, this new gate is swider than the old one that used to be here.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438481340.116698.jpg

There are a few rocks right past the gate but really, they are the only ones you will see for a long time.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438481396.245929.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the new bridge they built as a part of the new route.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438481478.055267.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438481536.374483.jpg

Here's a poser shot that we had to look for. We would have taken more but as I had mentioned earlier, a lot of the trail had been worked the way they have done on the rubicon.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438481691.544700.jpg

Sorry for not getting more shots, we were in a bit of a hurry. That being said, as you can see, the trail is in fact open but, not quite as fun as it used to be.

jk12blk

Nice pics, Eddie. I was curious what the trail was like after that first section just past the gate. I assumed it would be similar all the way through based on all the information I've read. Maybe things get more challenging closer to Barret Lake. At least you had a nice sunny day up there. :yup:

Rubicat measures 84" wide and we were able to squeak by without too much fuss. Moby would be a different issue altogether.
View attachment 156947

Quite literally, we had about an inch on either side of our wheels.
View attachment 156949

As mentioned, this new gate is swider than the old one that used to be here.
View attachment 156950

There are a few rocks right past the gate but really, they are the only ones you will see for a long time.
View attachment 156951

Here are a couple of shots of the new bridge they built as a part of the new route.
View attachment 156952

View attachment 156953

Here's a poser shot that we had to look for. We would have taken more but as I had mentioned earlier, a lot of the trail had been worked the way they have done on the rubicon.
View attachment 156954

Sorry for not getting more shots, we were in a bit of a hurry. That being said, as you can see, the trail is in fact open but, not quite as fun as it used to be.

Thanks for sharing this with us Eddie. I'll try and squeeze though there one day.

TheStick

Good update. Still really want to run this. Assuming there are good camping spots at the lake, seems like a good time

rampagejk

Woo hoo! Thanks for the gate/trail update along with this pics! Now I really want to head up there and run the trail!

CA - When you guys wander down here in a couple of weeks, if it looks like you may run Barrett, let us know. I sure you would end up with a few tag alongs! :beer:

Count me!!!

ClarksAdventures

That would be great to run with you guys again!

Top Bottom