CB help

atxbold

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/jeep-cb-radio/products/jk-jeep-cb-kit

I've read in a few posts the cobra 75 is a good CB to go with. I like the compact size and ability to unplug and remove from vehicle. I just have a few questions for the quorum please.

1. Is this a good kit? Fair price and everything I need?

2. Which antenna and length do people recommend?

3. Do you suggest an install in combination of this install? I ask because if this requires me to run a wire under the carpet maybe I should put in a Flux capacitor as well since carpet is up? That sort of thing. Only thing I can think of is backup camera but maybe someone has other ideas.

4. Anything I should be aware of? Pitfalls?

Thanks!

Grubbicon

1. I believe it is a good kit and this is what I started with. It is everything you will need other then wire to run power. EDIT: also worth mentioning that you might have to get a longer coax depending on how you mount the CB and if you have a 4dr or not.

2. Id get the firestik and I personally like the 4ft but that is personal preference really.

3. You will have to run your coax cable under the carpet or in the trim. Just depends on how you decide to do it.

4. I would be aware that this CB is great for trail communication but at highway speeds with top or doors off I found it hard to hear.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I would agree with 4 above. I don't have this model, but the midland 75, which is similar.

Consider adding an external mic maybe at some point. The mic I have is a radio shack.

jjlong

I also have the Cobra 75. Good CB for trails but could be a bit louder, but has an external mic option. I also have the 4ft firestik. Ran an 18ft coax from the spare tire mount to under the dash on the driver's side. It barely made it. I think the radio is a good by for around $100
Jeeps a 4 door.

MattMc

I installed this exact kit as one of the first mods on my JKUR. The comments about volume are correct, but it does come with the external speaker which can also easily be attached and detached easily, like the handset. You will have to scrape some of the powder coating off of the teraflex mount to ground the antenna. Plus the kit comes with a SWR for tuning. You'd be surprised how much that comes in handy because a lot of people seem to have not tuned their antenna.

Right Channel Radios actually didn't include the external speaker in the initial delivery, but they sent it quickly when I contacted them about it.

The instructions are for wiring into the stereo, but I wired straight to the battery and put the control box behind the glove box. The 18 feet of coax worked fine for my four door. Through the tailgate and up the passenger side corner.

Any questions, let me know.

Only thing I would say is I've personally seen and I'm sure a few others can say the same thing, WAY better range and clarity with the Wilson 2000 antenna (not the flex they are offering) than a firestick. I'm only referring to use with the cobra 75 but I've ran every possible firestick combo from 2ft-4ft, tunable and non. Nothing came close to the Wilson 2000 I have now.

Also the external speaker is a must with those. Makes it a whole new CB, lol.

Fitzbsly

Only thing I would say is I've personally seen and I'm sure a few others can say the same thing, WAY better range and clarity with the Wilson 2000 antenna (not the flex they are offering) than a firestick. I'm only referring to use with the cobra 75 but I've ran every possible firestick combo from 2ft-4ft, tunable and non. Nothing came close to the Wilson 2000 I have now.

Also the external speaker is a must with those. Makes it a whole new CB, lol.

I would second the fact that the Wilson 2000 makes a huge differance !! Hearing the clarity and range that cripplepetey had, I got one to use with my bearcat 980 and noticed a big change. Tune it with a SWR meter and you'll love it!

atxbold

Thanks all for the advice. My jeep is an Unlimited so I was wondering if 18 ft were enough. One reason I was considering this package is because of the extra speaker which a lot of you marked as weakness for the 75.

I'll see about getting the Wilson 2000. Maybe I can sell the firestick if I can't get it added to the package.

Spudcannons

A few people in my club have them and the work nicely and can be wired into the glove box so they tuck out of sight. I think you could save some money on amazon though, I paid less than that for my Cobra 29 LX camo and everything needed.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/jeep-cb-radio/products/jk-jeep-cb-kit

I've read in a few posts the cobra 75 is a good CB to go with. I like the compact size and ability to unplug and remove from vehicle. I just have a few questions for the quorum please.

1. Is this a good kit? Fair price and everything I need?

2. Which antenna and length do people recommend?

3. Do you suggest an install in combination of this install? I ask because if this requires me to run a wire under the carpet maybe I should put in a Flux capacitor as well since carpet is up? That sort of thing. Only thing I can think of is backup camera but maybe someone has other ideas.

4. Anything I should be aware of? Pitfalls?

Thanks!

Is it a good kit that has everything you need? Yes. Is it overpriced? Yes. Personally not a fan of the 75WXST, but it does work as required. Antenna standard would probably be 4ft, but a 2ft will just clear the roofline, especially if you add a quick disconnect. That's what I run and allows me to easily drive in the garage without taking it off everytime. Reception is fine, you're not a trucker.

If you plan on running a backup camera, it would definitely be a good time to run it because the wires are going the same path. It's really a simple install, pretty straight forward. If you have any issues, please feel free to PM me and I can talk you through it by phone if you need it.

So what are better CB alternatives to the Cobra 75?

You're going to find a lot of varying opinions on CB's, antennas, etc. The only real difference are options / features you want.

All CB's broadcast at the same 4 watts (unless modified) so the only gains you'll get are with your antenna, a proper tune and / or a linear (which are not legal or accepted).

I may not be a trucker but I'll choose a good center load tunable antenna over a cheap end load tunable antenna any day. As I said before this is my opinion from my results. But hey maybe I got lucky :idontknow:

Good luck choosing what set up to run. I'm sure you'll love it.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
So what are better CB alternatives to the Cobra 75?

I have a handheld CB (midland 75) and enjoy the fact that it is "removeable." The midland also just plugs into the sig lighter so no wiring is needed....other than running the coax. To Jason's point below, if you properly install and tune your antenna to your CB, you can still get good results. A lot of folks simply don't take the time to install and tune properly.

You're going to find a lot of varying opinions on CB's antennas, etc. The only real difference is options / features you want.

All CB's broadcast at the same 4 watts (unless modified) so the only gains you'll get are with antenna, proper tune and a linear (which are not legal or accepted).

I may not be a trucker but I'll choose a good center load tunable antenna over a cheap end load tunable antenna any day. As I said before this is my opinion from my results. But hey maybe I got lucky :idontknow:

Good luck choosing what set up to run. I'm sure you'll love it.

I'm curious about this center load tunable option. The one aspect I've come to like about the FireStik (tip tune) is that I can take the antenna off pretty easily and it holds the tuning. I have to park jeep in a parking garage for work. :rolleyes2: Is yours able to unbolt from the spring/mount pretty easily? Go back on and keep the tuning you've done. What's been the improvements over the Firestik?

Last edited:
I have a handheld CB (midland 75) and enjoy the fact that it is "removeable." The midland also just plugs into the sig lighter so no wiring is needed....other than running the coax. To Jason's point below, if you properly install and tune your antenna to your CB, you can still get good results. A lot of folks simply don't take the time to install and tune properly.

I'm curious about this center load tunable option. The one aspect I've come to like about the FireStik (tip tune) is that I can take the antenna off pretty easily and it holds the tuning. I have to park jeep in a parking garage for work. :rolleyes2: Is yours able to unbolt from the spring/mount pretty easily? Go back on and keep the tuning you've done. What's been the improvements over the Firestik?

Center load vs end load is just where the "antenna" is spun. If you look at fire sticks they are tight spun towards the end vs the Wilsons where a they are more centrally or lower spun. Generally end load "should" carry a better tune. I've found with the firesticks those twist tunes don't work very well.

As far as taking it off for garage, parking structures etc, you can get a quick disconnect but just remember most antennas are designed around a 102". All those things are included in that measurement. If you add too much to an antenna it may not tune as good as another. The Wilson has two set screws to lock in the whip so what I do is mark my whip with a sharpie at the base so I know where to drop it back down too. That way I can pull it off and leave the base. My base sits around 12" or so and I can still use it around town...a little.

The large thing about CB's are they are never perfect and so much "knocks" down their range and clarity that it's all subjective.

I've tried a lot of antennas and I've found the quality and versatility in the Wilson antenna is perfect. I grew up on the old 1000's with the huge magnetic bases, etc those just don't work so well on a jeep with a soft top, haha.

drafh

I ordered a CB from Right Channel Radios on Wednesday and it should arrive today or tomorrow. Great service.

JAGS

Hooked
Center load vs end load is just where the "antenna" is spun. If you look at fire sticks they are tight spun towards the end vs the Wilsons where a they are more centrally or lower spun. Generally end load "should" carry a better tune. I've found with the firesticks those twist tunes don't work very well.

As far as taking it off for garage, parking structures etc, you can get a quick disconnect but just remember most antennas are designed around a 102". All those things are included in that measurement. If you add too much to an antenna it may not tune as good as another. The Wilson has two set screws to lock in the whip so what I do is mark my whip with a sharpie at the base so I know where to drop it back down too. That way I can pull it off and leave the base. My base sits around 12" or so and I can still use it around town...a little.

The large thing about CB's are they are never perfect and so much "knocks" down their range and clarity that it's all subjective.

I've tried a lot of antennas and I've found the quality and versatility in the Wilson antenna is perfect. I grew up on the old 1000's with the huge magnetic bases, etc those just don't work so well on a jeep with a soft top, haha.

Thanks for the explanation. Get something new every day. I'm not a fan of the quick-disconnects for the antennas. Most of the ones I've seen used in person have poor connection for signal....or worse...poor connection and the antenna just falls off. Know someone who has lost two antennas all together with the quick releases. Would have to mark it like you do if I ever switch.

I think I've been fairly lucky with my set up. It was a pain to tune though.

Thanks for the explanation. Get something new every day. I'm not a fan of the quick-disconnects for the antennas. Most of the ones I've seen used in person have poor connection for signal....or worse...poor connection and the antenna just falls off. Know someone who has lost two antennas all together with the quick releases. Would have to mark it like you do if I ever switch.

I think I've been fairly lucky with my set up. It was a pain to tune though.

Same here I'm not a huge fan of quick discos, springs, etc. the difficult thing with this topic like suspension's is what's "fine" for me or you may not be for the next person.

Just hope everyone realizes this is about info not trying to sway the OP away from the kit. Everyone's comfort level and needs vary :thumb:

Back Country

I just installed my Cobra 75 last week and it looks nice and works well. I ordered mine from NR4x4 for a little over $100. On Tuesday I went to the 4 Wheel Parts store in San Jose and they had one on the shelve for $63 NIB. That is a smokin deal that somebody should take advantage of!

I just installed my Cobra 75 last week and it looks nice and works well. I ordered mine from NR4x4 for a little over $100. On Tuesday I went to the 4 Wheel Parts store in San Jose and they had one on the shelve for $63 NIB. That is a smokin deal that somebody should take advantage of!

Are you running an external speaker?

JAGS

Hooked
Same here I'm not a huge fan of quick discos, springs, etc. the difficult thing with this topic like suspension's is what's "fine" for me or you may not be for the next person.

Just hope everyone realizes this is about info not trying to sway the OP away from the kit. Everyone's comfort level and needs vary :thumb:

True. It's all based on needs, experiences and opinions, balanced with what the actual person buying needs and opinions are. Info along with install tips can help regardless of what the OP chooses. :thumb: That's how I took your post was just sharing info. :yup:

Top Bottom