EMMA : 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You sure aren't wasting any time! Were those parts fairly easy to come by?

It's been a while since I've worked on a project Jeep like this and forgot how much fun it is. Fortunately, there is strong support amongst Jeepster enthusiasts and so, in spite of it being so rare, a lot of parts are surprisingly pretty easy to come by.

That's one of those rare gem you come across in life. I wish I get to see it in person.

Well, if you ever make it out to the Rubicon with us, you can stop by Camp WAYALIFE and see it. :cool:

Wow you're getting it cleaned up really nice, looks great :thumb:

It's coming together nicely!

Thanks! Working on an old Jeep like this is so gratifying because anything you do to it is an improvement. You can literally take a rag and wipe a door handle and it looks better :D

AZMikeD

Looking good! I hope I have the opportunity to tackle a project like this some day. Think it would be fun and something I can use as a bonding experience with my son.

I appeciate and enjoy seeing the progress!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Emma is looking good! I look forward to the updated family photo of your collection. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got Emma's new plates in and so Cindy and I decided to celebrate by going on a short drive. Here are some shots that we took after we got back and as the sun was going down behind the smoke from all the forest fires going on. The lighting it gave was surreal.

As you can see in this shot, we got some new hub caps for Emma.
DSC00693.jpg

DSC00728.jpg

We also got a new grill medallion.
DSC00741.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

Couple of shots of Emma's new plates.
DSC00714.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

DSC00752.jpg

GCM 2

Man that is super sweet! It would be an extremely tough decision for me to keep it stock or go with something like an EVO EBay Jeepster makeover. I do like the clean survivors though [emoji12]

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442071145.192873.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man that is super sweet! It would be an extremely tough decision for me to keep it stock or go with something like an EVO EBay Jeepster makeover. I do like the clean survivors though [emoji12]

View attachment 164562

Oh yeah, that thing was SWEET!! In fact, doing something like the EVO eBay Jeepster was kind of what we were wanting to do being that the only ones we could find were beat up, modified all wrong or just shells needing a motor, tranny or what have you. But, after we found ours and saw how original it was and 100% driveable, we decided to keep it stock and have already started on restoring it.

Trail JK

I guess I've been under a rock. I completely missed this. Awesome find! Congrats on the new addition! Your work already looks good!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, it's been a while since I've updated this thread and thought I should bring ya'll up to speed on what we've been doing with Emma. As some of you may recall, the floor of this Jeepster Commando C101 was cover with a dynamat like material and we were concerned that it might be hiding some rust or worse. Needless to say, we decided to pull up the matting to see what was going on underneath it.
main.php

Unfortunately, our suspicions were right as we found several rust spots that needed to be dealt with, multiple holes that needed to be plugged and even a large hole with cracks radiating from it that needed to be fixed.
main.php

main.php

This is the large hole with the cracks around it. Looks like it once was the location of an improperly made seat mount.
main.php

Here's a shot of what the floor looked like after removing all the matting.
main.php

Time to clean up the loose rust and prepare the holes and cracks areas to be welded up.
main.php

With most of the loose rust removed, there were a few spots that broke all the way through and would need to be patched or cut out.
main.php

As you can see here, I was able to clear enough rust to open up a pretty good depression but, enough metal was still present that I decided to just patch it. The gaping hole to the right would need to be repaired.
main.php

main.php

Time to weld up some of the excess holes.
main.php

Having a copper spoon is real helpful to with this especially being that the steel on the floor pan is so thin.
main.php

One down and about a dozen more to go.
main.php

Using a sheet of stock steel of the same gauge that I bought from the local hardware store, I cut out a piece and fashioned it to match the hole in the floor pan. I used a magnet to help hold it in place until I could tack weld it on.
main.php

Taking my time, I was able to get it welded on and get all the radiating cracks stitched up as well.
main.php

Cleaning up welds a bit to make sure they don't interfere with the installation of the seat mounts.
main.php

I know it's not the best solution but short of replacing the entire floor pans, I felt that some POR 15 putty would do well enough to patch up some of the rougher spots.
main.php

main.php

After sanding, cleaning and treating the floor, I applied POR 15 Silver on the remaining lightly rusted areas.
main.php

Finally, after sanding, cleaning and prepping the floor again, I painted the entire floor pan with POR Top Coat to give it a nice finish.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Next up will be installing a new carpet kit and new seats - stay tuned. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There was some factory weather stripping that was in the blue color that came standard on this Jeepster and I spent some time getting them painted black.
main.php

main.php

I also picked up some new door lock buttons to cap off the thread-all that was sticking up out of the holes.
main.php

The carpet kit I got came with an insulating pad but, much like the carpet itself, it needed to be trimmed and have holes cut out of it to make it work.
main.php

main.php

Time to repeat the process on the carpet.
main.php

It took a lot of effort but, I was finally able to get the carpeting installed as well as our new seats and seat belts and here are a few initial shots of what it looked like when all was said and done.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Top Bottom