RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

j.house013

Yep! Just got my recovery hooks in the mail today from a fellow JK Forum member! (front and rear) Why a JKU with locking diff and elect-disconnect would be built without them I have no idea..... Now, problem solved! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1359185530.262154.jpg

arashi

Nice!

I was literally beginning to make a list of the things I needed for the beginning of the trailing season... You saved me some time :)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

i have the ARB Premium Recovery Kit...its a little pricey but well worth the investment! came with everything needed in the strap department plus d-rings, gloves and a great snatch block, the bag is even large enough for an extra pair of gloves, winch remote and my throw away "home depot" tow strap. i would never leave home with plans to hit any trail without my recovery bag,
that shovel that Eddie showed in the pic (E Tool in the army) velcro's nicely across the c pillar cross bar with a couple of velcro straps to be out of the way but still accessible and secure when loaded with gear.

groovebus

That's the first thing I bought. The wife kept asking why I needed all that stuff, I said, "I don't want to be that guy on the news found dead next to his Jeep because I didn't have something that I should have had." That includes the above stated equipment plus tire repair kit, 12 volt compressor, MRE's, 5 gal Gott water cooler and either my Ruger Mini-14 or my Remington 870 Express. I don't carry the water cooler or firearms around town. :)

BlackKnight

Going to be picking up one of the ARB recovery kits once I get the Rig, Looks to have just about everything you need.

Tow Strap, tree strap, Winch extension strap(?), cable dampener, gloves, 2 shackles, snatch block, all in one of their large recovery bags.

Last edited:

4X4PLAY

Great article! I agree with everything.... BUT

D-Ring shackles are great for safely linking tow straps together

Linking two straps together with a d-ring is extremely dangerous and is cause for more than one wheeling death over the years. Two straps should NEVER be put together using a d-ring, if that strap was to come off the tow point or if a strap was to break that d-ring is going to become a projectile potentially killing someone if it hits them! Google it, I am sure you will find stories!

The best way to put two straps together is with a wooden dowel or stick, hell even a newspaper stuck in between will work ;)

Happy and SAFE wheeling!
Jeff

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great article! I agree with everything.... BUT

Linking two straps together with a d-ring is extremely dangerous and is cause for more than one wheeling death over the years. Two straps should NEVER be put together using a d-ring, if that strap was to come off the tow point or if a strap was to break that d-ring is going to become a projectile potentially killing someone if it hits them! Google it, I am sure you will find stories!

IF you do not secure your tow strap to a solid point on the frame and in a way that it can't come off, yes, you are correct, this can be dangerous. IF you are using a cheap, under rated or worn out strap, yes, there is a potential for it to break making the d-ring a dangerous projectile. IF you Google it, you can find just about anything you want including how a tow hook or even entire bumper can get ripped off a Jeep and become a lethal projectile. But hey, what do I know.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny, most people come on to a forum like this and make their first post to talk about their Jeep and how much they love the forum. Of course, you came on here digging up old posts just to tell people how they are right or wrong about tow straps or snatch straps and even took the time to point them to YouTube videos you've made. :naw:

You my friend are clearly here to promote your own agenda and believe it or not, I have a rule for that:
http://wayalife.com/faq.php?faq=wayaliferules#faq_promoteagenda

You wanna leave on your own or do I need to show you the door?

The best way to put two straps together is with a wooden dowel or stick, hell even a newspaper stuck in between will work ;)
WTF kind of shrooms have you been chewing on?!! Were you born Stupid or was that something you had to work on?:screwy:

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I smell troll!!!! Jeep TJ Pirate Ship Edition? Sounds like the moron who came on to post he only goes on pIRATE 4x4 and had an affinity for Eddie's pony tail...

:asshat:

This guy is gonna get someone killed with his stupid ass ideas. Thankfully it won't be me.

4X4PLAY

This guy is gonna get someone killed with his stupid ass ideas. Thankfully it won't be me.

You guys can call me what you want, I wasn't being a troll, and Eddie, I didn't post any video on this thread. I am just an advocate for safety and what you posted is 100% wrong, I don't care how new your straps are, you DON'T hook two straps together using a clevis. I copied a story I read many years ago and it is a prime example why you don't put two straps together with a clevis.

It is so easy to put two straps together without having a projectile in between them.

I won't even waste my breath responding to the two idiot followers who obviously don't have a fawkin' clue.

You boys can flame me all you want, I know the proper and safe methods for recovery and it's a shame that you guys have to learn the hard way.

Peace!
Jeff

My best friend Died today at age of 37 Over a basic simple mistake!
We where at our truckwars/mudbog for The Moonlight stompers On Duffield RD.

After he broke his front end he decided to still play in 2wd. I had left and didn't see it happen but what happened was everyone got in a hurry and lots of trucks stuck with dozers and 6" straps all over the place ...
David was an advocate of safety But we'll never know what went through his head this time... But they broke the cardinal rule os Hooking 2 (small) 3" straps together with a Clevis (wich is like a rocket and what killed him)and David was unfortunate to have the brand new strap on his Jeep (they where out of 6" straps that day so he bought a 3") so when the strap let loose from the other Jeep while David was truned around looking backwards being pulled out from the back...The Clevis hit him in the head and killed him instantly..
He was the nicest man I know and would do anything for anyone!
He was survived by his Wife and 5 yr old Son Both where there the wife seen it happen the son still doesn't know and wont be told until tomorrow!
I will post funeral arrangements tomorrow and would request that anyone who cares PLEASE Show up and pay respects to his family..
He died doing what he loved best and the wife said it would be a blessing to her to see all his friend show suport!
He was the man that came Up to Grandmans and yogies with me....and if anyone has a picture of us in teh Jeep AT ALL could you post it here so we can print it out ...we are doing a clage of him and his Jeep for his wife and also a vidieo of him at all our mud bogs!
We will set up a trust fund for his wife at a later date! I will repost all this info when I get back in town or have my wife do it all because im going away for work for 4 weeks But I will get the info to you!
Any donations would be Great! also all vidios of that bog and of the vidieo of Just him will go to his wife!

SO please use this as a warning and be more careful of using to small of a strap while pulling out people..and try to never use a Clevis in the middle..
David knew this but failed to do it this one time probley figureing he wasn't stuck back and it would be ok and he paid for it with his Life

Armydog

OP: awesome advice delivered well. Tango yet again

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Serg5000

Believe it or not I have seen it before. I also want to say I see a piece of wood being used in an off road magazine. And no I'm not saying it's ok. Or not ok. I don't know. But if your in a real pinch, what does one do if you have link two straps together? Knowing that when using the choke method is the least strong way to use a strap.

YOU, Sir are dangerous and I pray NOBODY is stupid enough to wheel with you. I'd take a flying D-Ring any day of the week over a flying Jeep. You're no advocate for safety, you're a recipe for disaster!

Armydog

I saw some of the negative reviews some people said. In any sense, overkill is looked at as overkill until somebody needs it...then all of a sudden you're a savior.

-Molon labe-

Agreed. There is never a bad guy or situation that is "too dead", thus overkill is not a possibility

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Top Bottom