RECOVERY GEAR : A Must Have Before Hitting the Trails

Armydog

So.......

To beat a dying horse.... Chain is in the bag! Just need a moving blanket and an e- tool

I'll keep ya'll posted

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely. Everyone passes and can have a certificate. :thumb:

PS: Sorry, but I didn't make any pamphlets.

Oh, well what good is a certificate if you don't have a pamphlet :rolleyes2: :crazyeyes: :cheesy:

So.......

To beat a dying horse.... Chain is in the bag! Just need a moving blanket and an e- tool

I'll keep ya'll posted

Yup, moving blanket is what I carry and it serves a lot of different purposes. A short chain is nice to have as it'll help give you recovery and trail fix options that you wouldn't otherwise have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, here is an example of how a short chain can help with a recovery. After one of the guys in our group broke his 3-link rear axle mount, there was nothing to keep the pinion from shooting straight up. Unfortunately, the yoke ended up jamming up against the gas tank skid and was near impossible to free. At first, we used the winch on the Jeep itself to hold it in place while a 2nd winch from behind tried pulling the yoke down but, that wasn't enough to do the job. The only way we were going to free it was by using a 3rd winch to pull it down from the front but there was no way to safely get a tow hook or d-ring secured safely to it. Fortunately, I had my short chain with me and it allowed me to do this...

main.php

As is the case with anything that can become a deadly projectile, it is important to be aware of it, take steps to mitigate the dangers and ONLY use it for slow, calculated pulling. NEVER uses things like this where hillbilly horsepower is required.

Again, I have not taken any courses and have not read any pamphlets so please, take what I say and show for whatever they are worth.

munstie

main.php

Again, I have not taken any courses and have not read any pamphlets so please, take what I say and show for whatever they are worth.

A chain and a D ring, Damn you're daring...:D

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Who cares? He's giving out awesome certificates.

Well poop. I tried.

Well, I'll give you an A+ for effort then. After all, his certificate is indeed awesome. I feel safer already just by looking at it. :yup:

A chain and a D ring, Damn your daring...:D

Daring? I don't know, I think some would say that I'm just ignorant or flat out stupid. I'm sure if I had taken a course and read a pamphlet, I would have known of a better way to make this recovery possible. :crazyeyes:

David1tontj

]

As is the case with anything that can become a deadly projectile, it is important to be aware of it, take steps to mitigate the dangers and ONLY use it for slow, calculated pulling. NEVER uses things like this where hillbilly horsepower is required

I think this exact way, and I think that this is the major point that everyone on here keeps missing.

If something requires more than a simple tug, then in my opinion the winch needs to come out to keep things safe.

It's never good when someone needs to rev up the recovery rig and dump the clutch!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Just wanted to possibly add to this thread....watching the earlier video of the aussies tipping over the recovery vehicle, it seems to me they were using the wrong tool for the job. What they should have been using is the same kind of rope they used on the Top Gear polar special, the stretchy bungie stuff made to SNATCH. The strap they used in the video seems to be a tow strap, something I don't believe you should use for snatching, as the line is too solid and presents massive shock to the vehicles, the tow points, and the strap itself. Having said that, I am a noob and have not done nearly as many recoveries as most here, just some things I picked up over the last few years.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I haven't watched the video, but I would NEVER use a static line (tow strap or chain) for a pull where momentum was required. Doing so is asking for vehicle damage and in some cases personal injury. If you are using slack and getting momentum, you need to be using a dynamic (snatch) strap or rope. The entire purpose is to stretch the dynamic line which will then hopefully free the stuck vehicle when the dynamic line contracts after the stretch.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
main.php

If there's one question I get asked all the time from new Jeepers it's, “what’s the first mod I should do to my Jeep?” And, my answer to them is always the same, “recovery gear”. Fact of the matter is, whether you’re new to the world of off-roading with a right off the show room floor stock Jeep, or a long time veteran with a highly modified built up trail rig, everyone gets into a jam sooner or later.

Tow Points
At the top of the list of things that every Jeeper should have, it's tow hooks, D-ring mounts or some kind of recovery point (like a hitch receiver) on the front and rear of their Jeep. A good tow hook or recovery point will bolt directly to your Jeep’s frame or to an aftermarket heavy duty steel bumper that's been reinforced to act as a frame crossmember. Without this basic and very affordable modification to your Jeep, you won’t be able to help anybody get out of a jam let alone get yourself out if needed.

Factory Jeep JK Wrangler Tow Hook
main.php

Universal Hitch Receiver Shackle
main.php

Tow Strap
Now, a tow point is pretty useless without if you don't have anything to pull or be pulled with and so, the next piece of recovery that every Jeeper should have with them at all times is a tow strap. A good tow strap should be at least 20-30 feet long, have NO metal hooks or clips on it (these are extremely dangerous and should never be used) and has a pulling capacity about twice the weight of your Jeep. In the case of something like a Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited which weighs a little over 5,000 lbs., I would recommend a strap that has a breaking strength rating of least 10,000 lbs. or more. For me, I use a 30 ft. ARB Snatch Strap that has a 100% nylon webbing construction, reinforced eyes, a genuine stretch of 20%, and a breaking strength of 8,000 kg or 17,640 lbs., basically, more than enough for a big heavy built up Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited. What I like about the ARB Snatch Straps is that they come with a unique safety warning indicator built into them and signals you if your strap ever gets overloaded. Of course, any strap that meets the grade is better than nothing.

main.php

Tree Saver
In addition to a tow strap, I would highly recommend that you get and carry a tree saver as well. Similar to a tow strap, a good tree saver will be a lot shorter and, as it’s name suggests, is used to wrap around trees that you intend to use as an anchor point. Doing this will help protect the tree from the kind of severe damage that can occur from wrapping a winch cable or recovery chain directly to it. For my purposes, I carry an ARB Tree Truck Protector which has a 3″ webbing made out of 100% polyester and has a breaking strenght of 12000kg/26,000 lbs.

main.php

D-Ring Shackles
Because they are extremely strong and can be separated with ease, a good pair of 3/4" D-Ring shackles is a must have in any recovery bag. D-Ring shackles are great for safely linking tow straps together, securing a snatch block to an ARB Tree Trunk Protector and they will give you more options when helping to recover another vehicle or when getting the help from them.

main.php

Snatch Block
For those of you who have a winch, I would highly recommend that you carry a good snatch block. Essentially a big pulley, a snatch block will allow you to double your winch's capacity if more pulling power is needed and, give you more winching options as well. Attached to a fixed point like a tree or vehicle, you can also use a snatch block as a vector point to triangulate your pull. This option can be especially useful in areas that are difficult to find solid ground or where obsticals and/or terrain prevent you from establishing a safe straight pull.

main.php

Recovery Chain
While it wouldn't be my first choice of things to use, I do carry a short heavy duty recovery chain as it will offer more options when helping to recover a vehicle that has no tow hooks or built in tow points. In a situation like this, a chain can be hooked or wrapped around a secure part of a vehicles frame and then be used as a tow point.

main.php

Gloves
A good pair of leather gloves is something everyone should carry especially if you’re still running a steel wire rope on your winch. Gloves do a great job of helping you to have a better grip on your equipment, protect your hands from rope burns and help prevent steel splinters from lancing you when handling wire winch rope.

main.php

Shovel
Sometimes, the smartest way to get yourself out of a jam is to just do a little digging and because of this, I always carry a small collapsable shovel with me. It may not be the most effective tool but, it's better than using your hands.

main.php

Recovery Bag
Last but not least, having something to carry all your recovery gear is in my opinion, a must. If you can keep everything together and in one bag or container, it'll make it easier for you to remember to pack in your Jeep and ensure you always have it with you.

main.php

Recovery gear is an investment that every Jeeper should make. Isn't just a good idea to have, it's often required equipment on most organized runs and one that I can almost guarantee will pay for itself time and time again. :yup:
I'm a bit late to this thread but... Best post ever.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but I always kept a 2 ton come along in my old CJ5 and Bronco. With shackles and nylon or Kevlar straps, you can get another needed angle to get free of a bad situation.

One thing I'm thinking of adding to the collection is a winch on the rear receiver for the hitch. I'm thinking that it's portable enough to be able to store in the vehicle if I want to pull any kind of trailer, and have an extra option to go along with a winch in the front bumper.

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Here is where I read that you need to rest your snatch/recovery straps. First "NOTE:" near the top of the page.

http://arbusa.com/Getting-Started/Recovery-Techniques-Equipment.aspx
They say to back off the pin of the shackle, intending for it to not over tighten. In construction rigging, that's something that is frowned upon. If you really need to undo the pin, keep a small spud wrench. The tapered end will fit in the eye of the pin, so you can remove it. An adjustable spud wrench is like the Swiss Army knife of wrench spew, too.

Does anyone use those orange traction boards during winter or when in the mud? If so are they worth the investment? Also how do you guys mount them/ carry them in/ on your jeep?

Armydog

Does anyone use those orange traction boards during winter or when in the mud? If so are they worth the investment? Also how do you guys mount them/ carry them in/ on your jeep?

I have a set of ARB traction aids. I think that is what you are talking about. I have not used them and simply through them in the back. Got them late last winter and didn't get to use them, but maybe I can try them out in the mud this spring....... I'll post some pictures if I do.

I have a set of ARB traction aids. I think that is what you are talking about. I have not used them and simply through them in the back. Got them late last winter and didn't get to use them, but maybe I can try them out in the mud this spring....... I'll post some pictures if I do.

Yeah that would be nice! I think there are some called Maxtrax but I just didn't know if they are actually worth it. It'll be interesting to see how the ARB ones work out!

IceColdJK

As a complete noob I MUST agree with (I believe ArmyDog's) post where it was mentioned that this forum has be kind to the newer and less experienced Jeepers and the admins have shown nothing but respect in there answers until someone pipes up with absolute law (from pamphlets, courses, or YouTube). There is no replacing safety; Period. If common sense were truly common then, there would be more of it; Period. All of this said the advice to have a recovery kit in your rig is priceless. What you choose to put in your kit and use is your choice, but it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. This forum is also a place to read advice and other people's experiences. What someone does with the information gained from this forum is that person's own responsibility.

Personally I am going to buy a recovery kit that includes a chain. I am glad to have learned about the moving blanket too. I have never looked at one as a multi-tool before. Thank you for allow us to speak our minds here

Top Bottom