Question about LJ Paint Issue

AZMikeD

I looked at a 2006 LJ today at a local used car dealer. I noticed some crazing in the paint on the hood and front fenders. Looked like snow flakes sort of. The salesman told me this is a common issue with Wranglers of that vintage in darker colors (this one is red) due to the lack of any type of heat insulation under the hood. Is that true? If so, I wouldn't have expected it on the fenders, too.

I'm not real concerned about some minor paint/body issues since I'm going to be taking it off road but was just curious. This one was not for me anyway as the interior smelled like wet dogs. Nothing against dogs, I love pets, just don't want that smell in the interior. ;)

I also noticed one side of the transfer case was pretty crusty. Like its had some good seepage going on for a while. I would expect some seepage on an older, higher mileage vehicle (this one had 123k miles) but this seemed a bit crustier than expected. The transfer case seemed to shift in to 4 hi and 4 low easy and seemed to drive OK.

With the high miles and lack of service history as well as the interior smell and high-ish price I guess my search continues.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jeff_in_rc

My 04 Red TJ has the same thing, cracking in the clear coat all over the front of the hood. I will have to check the fenders, never paid much attention to them regarding the clear coat.
To me it's a non-issue, nothing to worry about.

Regarding the dog smell, Fabreeze works pretty well.

jeff_in_rc

Just checked my fenders, no cracking. I also noticed that the cracking is the worst anywhere around the radiator on the hood and the grill, again no problem for me.

Moabbnd

I know this is a few days old now, but my 06 black LJ has the "snowflake" on the hood and doors. Might be a common thing, but it doesn't bother me. I just use black wax and it helps a lot

AZMikeD

I know this is a few days old now, but my 06 black LJ has the "snowflake" on the hood and doors. Might be a common thing, but it doesn't bother me. I just use black wax and it helps a lot

Thanks! Was curious if the salesman was just saying that.

herb04

yea my 04 has it too but as others said its a non issue, for the dog smell some ozium works wonders.

Top Bottom