Templar's Build

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Joey,

Well I am kind of in the same boat with the gear break in, only worse - I work from home and have a 0 mile commute LOL! I guess after work is over I am going to have to drive it just to put the miles on it.

I just ran through your build thread and subscribed - WOW nice job, I love your Jeep and congrats on the D44's! I have a few questions for you. How did you like the 4.88's with 35's? I am scheduled to install 4.88's with my 37's that measure out to exactly 36" right now. I typically drive 75 on the freeway which was the main decision for the gear ratio choice. Also, did you install the 1/4 pounder & stinger yourself? If so how long did it take you? That is my next project and I want to get it knocked out asap, just curious what kind of time I should plan on. It looks like you have the EVO Hi-lift tailgate mount, Is that a 48" Hi-Lift you have, and if so, how much does it stick above the top? I am curious if I got one of those if I would still fit in my garage or not...

Having just put my 1/4 pounder and stinger on the other day again, Id say factor about 2 hours to get it installed or so. Longest part is cutting off the lower crash bar.

Templar

Having just put my 1/4 pounder and stinger on the other day again, Id say factor about 2 hours to get it installed or so. Longest part is cutting off the lower crash bar.

That's good news. I may do this tonight then. Stinger is still at the powder coaters - irritation. I was curious since you have done a couple of these installs now, did you rotate the motor forward or backward? I read of people doing it both ways in StrizzyChris's "EVO 1/4 Pounder install and Swaybar Relocation" thread. - also sent you a PM.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Joey,

Well I am kind of in the same boat with the gear break in, only worse - I work from home and have a 0 mile commute LOL! I guess after work is over I am going to have to drive it just to put the miles on it.

I just ran through your build thread and subscribed - WOW nice job, I love your Jeep and congrats on the D44's! I have a few questions for you. How did you like the 4.88's with 35's? I am scheduled to install 4.88's with my 37's that measure out to exactly 36" right now. I typically drive 75 on the freeway which was the main decision for the gear ratio choice. Also, did you install the 1/4 pounder & stinger yourself? If so how long did it take you? That is my next project and I want to get it knocked out asap, just curious what kind of time I should plan on. It looks like you have the EVO Hi-lift tailgate mount, Is that a 48" Hi-Lift you have, and if so, how much does it stick above the top? I am curious if I got one of those if I would still fit in my garage or not...

Oh man, that would be tough! A nice scenic drive helps when you have to keep the speed down, hope you can get some miles soon. 👍🏻

I had the 1/4 pounder installed at Off Road Evolution along with my Zeon 10. I would have liked to do it myself, but recently moved to the Bay Area and am currently renting so no place to work on the Jeep. I recently made some great WAL friends up here that have been helping me out big time, especially with the D44s (thanks too! 😄) and have been incredibly helpful and have a ton of combined knowledge.

I'm not sure on the length of the Hi Jack, I think it is 48", it's the "xtreme" one with that extra gold colored piece on it. The EVO mount is great be it works with the carrier and also mounts to the tailgate hinge so it's quite secure.

Oops forgot you asked about gears too. The 35s with 4.88 were perfect and helped me out on the trails for sure, I was very happy and shift points were on the spot. I now have 5.13s in the new axles and am hoping to get some 37s here asap. It still rides great with the procal but I feel like it's a little overgeared I think it will be perfect with the 37s. I'm still getting about 16.5-17.5mpg per the dash calculator so I'm happy 👍🏻

Last edited:

Templar

Did you get the 1/4 pounder on? Cant wait to see it!

No, I decided to start early this morning when it was cooler (I took the family out for Mexican food last night, and the Margarita did not help my motivation one bit...)

Kids woke me up early as usual and I started about 6:45 AM - just taking a break to enjoy my coffee before I start cutting the crash bar.

20150829_071940.jpg

The EVO 1/4 Pounder install and Swaybar Relocation thread by StrizzyChris helped with this one, one side came out no problem, the other I used his little trick with the self tapping screw to work like a charm.

20150829_070218.jpg

Arizona

Very Nice, Looking good my friend!

Were your MCE fenders color matched locally?

Last edited:

Templar

Thanks bud :)

I found that just using a dremel with a cuttoff wheel on the inside worked a lot better than a cuttoff wheel which does not fit well back there.

Passenger side cut.

20150829_084006.jpg

Test fitting right now, still need to rotate the sway bar motor.

20150829_085554.jpg

RDE2ROK

That's a nice looking rig you've got there Templar! I realy like the color matching. My wife wouldn't let me go that route! She wanted the black.:icon_crazy:

Templar

Were your MCE fenders color matched locally?

Yes, I have a buddy who owns a body shop on the west side. He did our mini van when my wife was rear ended a while back, they do great work. He would not go off a paint code to match, he said Red is one of the hardest colors to match and insisted on having his guy match the paint while the Jeep was there. I'm glad he did, they look good. Now that they are installed I need to bring it back for him for the final sanding and buffing.

Templar

That's a nice looking rig you've got there Templar! I realy like the color matching. My wife wouldn't let me go that route! She wanted the black.:icon_crazy:

Thanks bud :) I LOVE your rig - it's just sick - and I hope I can see it in person some day - seriously. If you wind up going to any of the local meet and greets or want to grab a burger and a beer sometime please let me know!

My wife liked the stock black fenders better, she says it made it look more "beefy". She does not get (or care) about the whole clearance thing :cheesy: But she is right, the stock fenders do look really good - she just doesn't give a crap about my reasoning :)

Last edited:

RDE2ROK

Thanks bud :) I LOVE your rig - it's just sick - and I hope I can see it in person some day - seriously. If you wind up going to any of the local meet and greets or want to grab a burger and a beer sometime please let me know!

My wife liked the stock black fenders better, she says it made it look more "beefy". She does not get (or care) about the whole clearance thing :cheesy:

:cheesy: that's funny, my wife said the same thing " looks more Beefy", :cheesy: I thought the color match Red woulda looked pretty cool myself!
We will be at the offroad Expo in Scotsdale on Sept 25. The jeep will be in one of the booths. I will keep you posted on exactly when I will be there. Also at jeep Jamboree at Airpark Scotsdale Oct 10th. :beer:

Templar

All done. The swaybar motor rotation turned out to be simple. Now I just need to get my stinger back from powdercoating, and fill up that gaping hole with a winch, and I will be all set. No more rubbing the stock bumper (annoying!) and one more thing partially marked off the to install list... :clap2:

Next up: trim and re-install splash guards.

Before:

20150829_062250.jpg

After:

20150829_113537.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
1/4 pounder looks good, like seeing them without a stinger once and a while even thought I know your waiting on that yet.

Top Bottom