Dedicated winter tire in 37 and up

mackey

I currently have Toyo Open Country 40x13.5x17. Living two hours from Canada and having pretty harsh winters I am thinking of getting a dedicated winter tire only for the snowy / icy months. I've hard a hard time finding a winter rated tire in 37 and up.

Yokohama Geolander appears to be a winter tire. I can get it in a 37x12.5x17 or 38x13.5x17. I'd normally stay away from an odd 38, but this will primarily be used for street / highway driving.

Has anyone used this tire during during a snowy / icy winter? Pros vs cons? Or any other recommended winter tire in a 37 or up? Thanks.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Have you looked at the KO2s? Pretty sure they come in a 37 and are winter rated.

07JKSahara

Nothing near the size you want, but I had the Yok geolanders on my 2003 Trailblazer on MI. Mostly wet snow and ice and those things bite. They were great all around street/snow/sand tires for a mild SUV. I loved them and wouldn't hesitate to get them again. Mind you, mine were only 255/75s or something..

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do the goodyears duratrec's come in a 37? If so they would be a great tire to look into

daverawr

Idk about winter yet. Houston we don't have winter 😂 but I have the KO and they are great. And only have heard great things of the KO2.

Wardell

Yeah, there are really only 5 different kinds of winter rated off road tires: Duratracs, Exo Grapplers, KO2s, Open Country C/Ts, and a few sizes of General Grabbers. The KO2s are the only ones with a 37" size. I think most brands see that big a tire as a size only off road enthusiasts are going to buy agressive mud terrains, and not be worried so much for driving in other conditions. Mind you, up to last year the only off road winter tire on the market was the Duratrac, so maybe that will slowly change if they see the demand is there.

Unless I missed something, I don't see anything about the Geolanders being a winter tire. The manufacturer's website doesn't say if they have a mountain snowflake rating, which is an industry standard to show they can keep traction below 7°C. If your winters are bad enough to worry about driving in snow and ice, I personally wouldn't get anything that doesn't have this rating.

mackey

Yeah, there are really only 5 different kinds of winter rated off road tires: Duratracs, Exo Grapplers, KO2s, Open Country C/Ts, and a few sizes of General Grabbers. The KO2s are the only ones with a 37" size. I think most brands see that big a tire as a size only off road enthusiasts are going to buy agressive mud terrains, and not be worried so much for driving in other conditions. Mind you, up to last year the only off road winter tire on the market was the Duratrac, so maybe that will slowly change if they see the demand is there.

Unless I missed something, I don't see anything about the Geolanders being a winter tire. The manufacturer's website doesn't say if they have a mountain snowflake rating, which is an industry standard to show they can keep traction below 7°C. If your winters are bad enough to worry about driving in snow and ice, I personally wouldn't get anything that doesn't have this rating.

You are correct, the Geolanders do not have the winter approval snowflake. I've been reading about how several people in Canada and the East Coast use them as winter tires. I didn't even know about the new KO2 until someone posted it here. I would assume it should be better since it has a winter rating. I will probably end up going that route. A big thanks to all those who helped out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping to pick up a set of KO2's for our Renegade and with the hopes of using it for winter driving. I'd have them already but apparently, they won't have it in a size that I need until October. If all the news about the El Nino being what it's supposed to be this year, I'm sure we'll get a chance to test them out. :yup:

mackey

I'm hoping to pick up a set of KO2's for our Renegade and with the hopes of using it for winter driving. I'd have them already but apparently, they won't have it in a size that I need until October. If all the news about the El Nino being what it's supposed to be this year, I'm sure we'll get a chance to test them out. :yup:

If I get the KO2s in a 37x12.5x17 for winter driving, will I need to modify my DTD suspension since it is set up for 40s right now?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I get the KO2s in a 37x12.5x17 for winter driving, will I need to modify my DTD suspension since it is set up for 40s right now?

Nah, you'll just look like you're sitting a bit higher. You will need to calibrate your speedo though.

Top Bottom