Sea foam

legendarybear

I just did an engine rebuild 1981 cj 7 4.2 straight 6. Not idling the best. Someone recommended I use C foam... Should I ate should I not?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Sea foam removed build up and deposits inside the engine. If it was just rebuilt there shouldn't be any buildup or deposits to remove.

JT Bone

Use it. Suck up half a can through a vacuum line then shut it off. 20 min later when you fire it off there will be a cloud of white smoke float down your street that you can see from space. I'd almost recommend you do it at night. My friend told me about sea foam and the smoke and I thought he was joking. Makes older engines run way better getting all the carbon build up out. It was like a tuneup in a can for my 79' CJ 7. I even tried it in my Yamaha golf cart. Works.

I use it in my riding lawn mower every spring and all my other small engine garden stuff.

Every now and then I dunk a can while fueling up an old truck.

I like it and yeah the smoke is no joke. YouTube it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just did an engine rebuild 1981 cj 7 4.2 straight 6. Not idling the best. Someone recommended I use C foam... Should I ate should I not?

Oh man, how I do miss my old 1981 CJ7!! Seafoam can help but, if you're still running a Carter BBD, your needles are probably clogged.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Original carburetor. What would you recommend?

Well, if you don't have to keep it, a Motocraft 2100 would be what I would go with if you're on a budget. Of course, there are plenty of other carbs that you can use as well. But, if you need to keep what you have or just want to work with it, I would bypass the computer and/or rebuild the carb. Clean out the needles thoroughly as them dribbling is what's most likely causing your rough idle.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
You could run sea foam in the gas tank to help clean out the fuel system and carb. Stuff works great for that. There's instructions on the bottle showing how much sea foam to run based on how many gallons of fuel you have. I did it on my old '89 Range Rover for three consecutive tanks. Cleaned out great. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to do a good cleaning on the carb.

Last edited:

Peak

Not related to sea foam but it may fix your idle. Try putting a ford distributor cap and wireset on from a late 70's ford. There should be me information if you google it. I've had about 3 Cj7s and this fixed all the misfires and weird idles.

Shantz

Sea Foam is very aggressive... clean your throttle body and throw some Mystery Oil in the gas and oil you'll see a nice improvement.

holliewood61

Something I always reccomend to the I6 guys is the nutter bypass and team rush upgrade. Plenty of info on the web about both. If you think it may br deposits causing your issues, trickling some ATF down the carb while its running will help tremendously. Better than a seafoam cleaning in my experience.

legendarybear

Well, if you don't have to keep it, a Motocraft 2100 would be what I would go with if you're on a budget. Of course, there are plenty of other carbs that you can use as well. But, if you need to keep what you have or just want to work with it, I would bypass the computer and/or rebuild the carb. Clean out the needles thoroughly as them dribbling is what's most likely causing your rough idle.

Would MC 2300 work?

legendarybear

Would MC 2300 work?

Just got my MC 2100 in. Bought it used. Going to rebuild. Can't wait to make the swap. Thanks!

geberhard

Douchebag
Also one thing you did not mention, but assuming teh distro, cap, rotor are also ingood shape? Some of the distro and rotors out there are crappy, I would start there before doing a full carb swap, check wires etc. Also run fuel froma gas can (fresh gas) I am hoping you did not run old fuel from the gas tank :D

legendarybear

Also one thing you did not mention, but assuming teh distro, cap, rotor are also ingood shape? Some of the distro and rotors out there are crappy, I would start there before doing a full carb swap, check wires etc. Also run fuel froma gas can (fresh gas) I am hoping you did not run old fuel from the gas tank :D

Haven't run any old fuel through. The distributor seems to be in good shape. Cap as well.

Top Bottom