Anyone running the OME BP-51 Bypass Shocks?

rovingshoe

I have been running the Old Man Emu 4" Suspension on my 2010 JKU for several years now, and looking to upgrade before I replace my well worn tires. I find the OME too stiff for my liking.

I am thinking of the following set up and would like some feedback:

1. Replace OME heavy-duty coils with Teraflex 4" progressive rate coils (already purchased these)
  2. King 2" Hydraulic Bump Stops in the front
  3. Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back

Does anyone have experience yet with the OME BP-51? Thoughts on mating it with the King bump-stops?

Is there an option for a King REAR hydraulic bump stops on the JKU? I only see mounting hardware for the front.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Lol no offense but if your hoping for a smoother ride out of the teraflex coils good luck as it isn't happening. If you wanted a smooth ride you should have gotten the evo plush ride coils.

rovingshoe

Lol no offense but if your hoping for a smoother ride out of the teraflex coils good luck as it isn't happening. If you wanted a smooth ride you should have gotten the evo plush ride coils.

:doh:Maybe I am off to a bad start already. I'll have to see, as I took the recommendation for Northridge 4x4, who I generally trust. They are already unboxed [but not installed], but perhaps I will call them and ask about my options.:thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
:doh:Maybe I am off to a bad start already. I'll have to see, as I took the recommendation for Northridge 4x4, who I generally trust. They are already unboxed [but not installed], but perhaps I will call them and ask about my options.:thumb:

Lol they are in the business to make money. They will sell whatever shit they make the most money on. Ask them why they don't run terrorflex on any of there rigs.

rovingshoe

Lol they are in the business to make money. They will sell whatever shit they make the most money on. Ask them why they don't run terrorflex on any of there rigs.

This is the main reason I am not asking their advice on the BP-51 or the King bump stops. The forum can be brutal, but at least it is generally honest.

Wardell

I'm pretty sure that EVO makes a weld on bracket to mount the King bump stops in the rear. IIRC Northridge should carry it.

As far as the BP-51 shocks, what OME and ARB said about the design when they were announced sounded really promising, but I think the Jeep version of these shocks only hit the market about a month ago. I haven't seen a review anywhere online, and I doubt anyone here has them yet.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Just looked into these shocks, at that price point, I would suggest getting some plush ride coils and pairing them with some king shocks. I have read that that combo can actually ride better than bolt on coilovers.

rovingshoe

Just looked into these shocks, at that price point, I would suggest getting some plush ride coils and pairing them with some king shocks. I have read that that combo can actually ride better than bolt on coilovers.

I like this suggestion. :thumb: I can just do the build in stages and judge the impact of each as I go along. No sense shelling out the $2K for BP-51 if I can be made happy for far less money.

rovingshoe

I have the Teraflex coils, King bump stops and ARB BP-51 shocks installed in the front end, with all the arms adjusted. Moving on to the rear end.

The BP-51 comes with a fancy offset shock mount. It does not fit with onto my Dynatrac Rock Jock 44 Unlimited without significant modification. The Unlimited has an slightly offset shock mount from stock. With all the front end geometries properly adjusted the Unlimited shock mount provides enough clearance by itself. Just make sure that you move the axel forward to properly line up the bump stops, and center the axel with the trackbar.

IMG_1970.jpg

jkjouster

Street Smarts PIMP
I have the Teraflex coils, King bump stops and ARB BP-51 shocks installed in the front end, with all the arms adjusted. Moving on to the rear end.

The BP-51 comes with a fancy offset shock mount. It does not fit with onto my Dynatrac Rock Jock 44 Unlimited without significant modification. The Unlimited has an slightly offset shock mount from stock. With all the front end geometries properly adjusted the Unlimited shock mount provides enough clearance by itself. Just make sure that you move the axel forward to properly line up the bump stops, and center the axel with the trackbar.

View attachment 165272

wondering if your willing to update us on your OME BP51s.

doing a rock krawler kit and cant decide on the OME or King External bypass...

Bluetango

View attachment 165272

is BP-51 as good as the arb said good? how do they feel on road and off road?

Bluetango

I know one of the guys on the Aus forum has them and reckons they ride awesome on and off road.

do you know, this bp-51 only have 4" lift or they do some 2' as well? since I heard this shock i am very interesting them, but I do not plan too high lift in the future.

jkjouster

Street Smarts PIMP
I am currently doing a rock Krawler 2.5 X factor with the bp51. IF Need be, I will be adding up too 1inch spacer in front, the rear springs are their expedition part number for heavily loaded rigs to reduce sag.

I'm hoping the shocks will be in the right range at about 3 inch lift front and rear. My main concern with my build is up travel/ compression, so the need for the spacer will depend how much shaft I have exposed at ride height

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
do you know, this bp-51 only have 4" lift or they do some 2' as well? since I heard this shock i am very interesting them, but I do not plan too high lift in the future.

As far as I know they are only available as a 4" and being bypass shocks you need to be careful about setting your ride height otherwise they won't be working correctly.

Desertman

My friend is running them on his Fj and they are as good a shocks twice the price. It's only the FJ guys who have the cash for upgrades here!

Necro

My review of the BP-51's

The shocks are AWESOME!!! The completely change the ride in ways that are sooooo much better. Even lifted 4" with 37's the OME BP-51's make my Jeep ride even better than it did at stock height factory tires on the way home from the dealership.

Installing the shocks sucks badly, and they can't even be installed as is unless you custom fab something. If you want them to work with your factory JK mounts then you'll need to buy the front and rear install kits that are sold separately.

Also I think they are valved for a 4 door, so if you have a 2 door they will be just slightly firmer than what would be ideal, so you would need to adjust them 1 click less firm on a 2 door than a 4 door, but softening up the shocks also allows more nose lift/squat when accelerating, dive on braking, and allows the Jeep to lean slightly more than wanted when cornering.

So a notch higher and all the squat/dive/lean firms up, but now the small event compliance becomes more noticeable.

Fortunately the adjusters aren't "clickers" which limit you to one setting or another. The adjusters are variable, so if you really wanted you can play with them very slightly until you feel satisfied with the softness, yet also comfortable with the firmness, but basically you're trading one unwanted thing for another unwanted thing.

Overall I give the shocks a 4 out of 5.

I deducted half a point because they are a royal pain to install and you have to buy separate front and rear mounting kits. They are also really big requiring lots of clearance, and I had to chop my rear trackbar mount with a sawzall to provide room for the axle to compress without the trackbar bracket hitting the shock.

I deducted another half a point, because even though the custom front and rear mounting kits are required, they're not the only things needed to install these shocks. The custom mounting brackets don't work with the factory brakelines, so custom brake line relocation brackets had to be fabricated.

Overall these shocks cost as much each, as a full set of quality shocks cost. So is the ride quality improvement good enough to justify the price increase?

That depends... how sensitive is your butt dyno?

IMO they're a giant improvement over the Rancho 9000xl's that I was running before.

However, after the first few days of "Wow! These ride much smoother!" I was right back at noticing bumps and harshness like I did before. So while they ARE an improvement, eventually you'll get used to them, and start noticing crappy roads just like you did before.

So after a few days of getting used to them, I started noticing harsh spots in their performance and I dialed the compression and rebound levels down.

That made bumps a lot softer, but also handling became soft. The Jeep now leans in corners, squats in the rear when I accelerate, and rises in the front. It's a more comfortable straight line ride, but much worse in corners, clover leafs, sweeping turns etc...

Exodus 4x4

The shocks are AWESOME!!! The completely change the ride in ways that are sooooo much better. Even lifted 4" with 37's the OME BP-51's make my Jeep ride even better than it did at stock height factory tires on the way home from the dealership.

Installing the shocks sucks badly, and they can't even be installed as is unless you custom fab something. If you want them to work with your factory JK mounts then you'll need to buy the front and rear install kits that are sold separately.

Also I think they are valved for a 4 door, so if you have a 2 door they will be just slightly firmer than what would be ideal, so you would need to adjust them 1 click less firm on a 2 door than a 4 door, but softening up the shocks also allows more nose lift/squat when accelerating, dive on braking, and allows the Jeep to lean slightly more than wanted when cornering.

So a notch higher and all the squat/dive/lean firms up, but now the small event compliance becomes more noticeable.

Fortunately the adjusters aren't "clickers" which limit you to one setting or another. The adjusters are variable, so if you really wanted you can play with them very slightly until you feel satisfied with the softness, yet also comfortable with the firmness, but basically you're trading one unwanted thing for another unwanted thing.

Overall I give the shocks a 4 out of 5.

I deducted half a point because they are a royal pain to install and you have to buy separate front and rear mounting kits. They are also really big requiring lots of clearance, and I had to chop my rear trackbar mount with a sawzall to provide room for the axle to compress without the trackbar bracket hitting the shock.

I deducted another half a point, because even though the custom front and rear mounting kits are required, they're not the only things needed to install these shocks. The custom mounting brackets don't work with the factory brakelines, so custom brake line relocation brackets had to be fabricated.

Overall these shocks cost as much each, as a full set of quality shocks cost. So is the ride quality improvement good enough to justify the price increase?

That depends... how sensitive is your butt dyno?

IMO they're a giant improvement over the Rancho 9000xl's that I was running before.

However, after the first few days of "Wow! These ride much smoother!" I was right back at noticing bumps and harshness like I did before. So while they ARE an improvement, eventually you'll get used to them, and start noticing crappy roads just like you did before.

So after a few days of getting used to them, I started noticing harsh spots in their performance and I dialed the compression and rebound levels down.

That made bumps a lot softer, but also handling became soft. The Jeep now leans in corners, squats in the rear when I accelerate, and rises in the front. It's a more comfortable straight line ride, but much worse in corners, clover leafs, sweeping turns etc...

Welcome to WAL?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom