Im looking to put in a CB Radio on my JKU whats a good recommendation?

Wombat

I have a Cobra 75 with the unit in the dash, and the controls on the handset. Did not to clutter up the cab, just personal taste.

Dyerjk

Same here. Cobra 75 with Bracketron mic mount. Clean and out of the way. Plenty loud and plenty of range for a group run.

Jk909

I was going to go with the Cobra 29 LX LE, mainly because I liked the additional NOAA capability, I've been researching mounting methods, but after posting your Midland 75-822, and I noticed it too had weather functions, well, we have a new winner!

I intend to use it only for group outings (as I can see a HUGE increase in fun-factor with a CB) shootin' the shiznit while caravanning to location, as well as listening in to instruction (and banter) while on the trail! :thumb:

So range really shouldn't be an issue, as I cant really see a need of more than a mile. So while the little rubber duck BNC antenna will probably do, I'll carry an optional firestik and tire rack mount as well. Or maybe even a temp magnet mount just to throw on the hood...*shrug* And it can easily be thrown in the center console when not in use, or brought in the house. I like the cigarette lighter power too.

I also like the added feature that if your rig is stuck or you need to get out (over-turned for example) you can bring your CB out with you if need be.

Also, I've had a few pretty well-tuned Midlands in my day. So not going Cobra ( tried and true brand!) should be just fine as well.

So thanks Jk909 for the heads-up! :thumb:

No problem man. I leave mine in my center console. There's a port in there to plug it in too. As far as range goes I've never had an issue

09blackruby

I have the midland 75-822. I didn't want to run power the the battery and have a big ass box in my jeep when I only use it on the trails. It plugs in to the cigarette lighter so all you need to mount is a firestik antenna on the back and your good to go. It also comes with a battery pack so you can get out and spot people with it. It's a neat little combo. View attachment 161530

I'm really leaning towards this cb. From your experience, is the vehicle mounted antenna necessary or does the unit get good enough reception by itself. I'm not apposed to getting the extra antenna just trying to gage its range with the small antenna it comes with on the unit. I'm new to the cb world. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jk909

I'm really leaning towards this cb. From your experience, is the vehicle mounted antenna necessary or does the unit get good enough reception by itself. I'm not apposed to getting the extra antenna just trying to gage its range with the small antenna it comes with on the unit. I'm new to the cb world. Thanks in advance.

To be honest I've only used it with the little antenna when I'm in my work truck to check the weather report which I have never had a problem hearing. Being inside a vehicle you probably wouldn't be able to pick anything up past a 1/4 mile. Outside the vehicle is would work a lot farther. You can get a firestik like I did or one of those magnet mount antennas. With that there isn't much difference from any other cb that puts out four watts.

rinkishjk

Here's my new radio I just installed. I replaced a galaxy 929 with this 959, and also added the gear keeper.
I also did a lot of work to my system with grounding, ground plane and tuning. Seems to work awesome so far!

Attachments

• 1440523219709.jpg
    1440523219709.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 337

09blackruby

To be honest I've only used it with the little antenna when I'm in my work truck to check the weather report which I have never had a problem hearing. Being inside a vehicle you probably wouldn't be able to pick anything up past a 1/4 mile. Outside the vehicle is would work a lot farther. You can get a firestik like I did or one of those magnet mount antennas. With that there isn't much difference from any other cb that puts out four watts.

Thanks for the response. I'm probably going to end up going the route you did with the 3ft Firestick. It's between this cb and the Cobra 75. Leaning more towards the Midland.

Jk909

Thanks for the response. I'm probably going to end up going the route you did with the 3ft Firestick. It's between this cb and the Cobra 75. Leaning more towards the Midland.

Cozdude has had great experience with his cobra 75 which I considered purchasing but I liked the fact that I didn't have to run power to it, I could use it in multiple vehicles and use it outside of the jeep with the battery pack. Either way I think you'll be happy. Amazon has it for 80$

09blackruby

Cozdude has had great experience with his cobra 75 which I considered purchasing but I liked the fact that I didn't have to run power to it, I could use it in multiple vehicles and use it outside of the jeep with the battery pack. Either way I think you'll be happy. Amazon has it for 80$

Awesome. For every reason you just mentioned is why I'm leaning towards it. Thanks again.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Here's my new radio I just installed. I replaced a galaxy 929 with this 959, and also added the gear keeper.
I also did a lot of work to my system with grounding, ground plane and tuning. Seems to work awesome so far!

Now that's a nice radio! :thumb:

JudeinPa

That is exactly what i want to do, did you use the mounting bracket it came with the cb?, Did you wire it directly to your 12v cigarette output?, or did you buy a universal plug and play 12v connector that goes underneath the dash?

View attachment 161498

I just purchased the same plug & play cable from Quadratec. Now to remove half of the dash to install it! I admit I am a little nervous about that.

Spaulding

I just finished installing mine last week. Went with a Uniden 510XL on a Quadratec removable console mount, very nicely made I might add. I wanted to go with a full size radio, but I liked the console mount and with the full size I figured I'd lose too much passenger seat adjustment. Also used the Cooltech Ultramount with a 3' Firefly. Would of preferred a 4' but I've got a low garage door and didn't want to be thwacking it every time I pulled in or out. Have an SWR of 1.3-1.4 and seems to work OK so far. I ran my power directly to the battery for right now, hopefully I wont forget to shut it off. I was told it's possible to get engine noise,etc, if you wire it too a switched wire, and the best results are with it wired direct. Does anyone who used that Quadratec console wiring harness have any issues?
cb.jpg cb1.jpg cb2.jpg

JudeinPa

I installed the Quadratec plug & play harness today and it was a very easy install. I haven't tested for any engine noise as I still need to purchase a removable console mount and antenna. I have a Cobra 29 Night watch CB that I purchased years ago but worked well and will see if it takes up too much room with the passenger seat travel.

jkruiser

I have the midland 75-822. I didn't want to run power the the battery and have a big ass box in my jeep when I only use it on the trails. It plugs in to the cigarette lighter so all you need to mount is a firestik antenna on the back and your good to go. It also comes with a battery pack so you can get out and spot people with it. It's a neat little combo. View attachment 161530

Got the same setup and very happy with it! Just throw it in the glove when not in use...

canadianjku

Here's my Cobra 29 LX LE in the Tuffy overhead console I mentioned earlier in the thread.

6211370016_5a646ea47b_b.jpg

6211369838_3dae6e6a04_b.jpg

This looks great. Where are the wires coming out though?

REKLESS-RED

I was going to go with the Cobra 29 LX LE, mainly because I liked the additional NOAA capability, I've been researching mounting methods, but after posting your Midland 75-822, and I noticed it too had weather functions, well, we have a new winner!

I intend to use it only for group outings (as I can see a HUGE increase in fun-factor with a CB) shootin' the shiznit while caravanning to location, as well as listening in to instruction (and banter) while on the trail! :thumb:

So range really shouldn't be an issue, as I cant really see a need of more than a mile. So while the little rubber duck BNC antenna will probably do, I'll carry an optional firestik and tire rack mount as well. Or maybe even a temp magnet mount just to throw on the hood...*shrug* And it can easily be thrown in the center console when not in use, or brought in the house. I like the cigarette lighter power too.

I also like the added feature that if your rig is stuck or you need to get out (over-turned for example) you can bring your CB out with you if need be.

Also, I've had a few pretty well-tuned Midlands in my day. So not going Cobra ( tried and true brand!) should be just fine as well.

So thanks Jk909 for the heads-up! :thumb:

Great choice! I have the same cb. Works great, just tune your firestik and you won't have any issues. I mounted mine with a cell phone mount that cost a dollar. I'll post a pick when I get back to the house.

tharb5111

Great choice! I have the same cb. Works great, just tune your firestik and you won't have any issues. I mounted mine with a cell phone mount that cost a dollar. I'll post a pick when I get back to the house.

Midland cb with noaa weather works great. Easy to tune and small enough to fit nicely on dash. firestick with spring mount. Love it. You won't be disappointed.

Attachments

• 1440950032437.jpg
    1440950032437.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 1440950082938.jpg
    1440950082938.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 237

09blackruby

Glad I could help

Ended up purchasing the Midland off Amazon. CB has arrived but, I'm still waiting for the 3ft firestik and coax. I should have it all installed soon although, I won't really have a chance to test it till the Oct Rausch trip I plan on attending. Should I expect to have to do any antenna tuning or should I be good to go?

Top Bottom