Tire Shopping, need some advice...

rich67

Caught the Bug
Alright everyone, I am looking for some new tires for my '13 JKU. I am going to be installing a Teraflex leveling kit (1.75" front and 1" rear) and will be using the stock 17" rim. I am looking for a 33x12.5 tire (also I am running spacers) that offers some great traction in the mud, but is still road-friendly. I was looking at the General Grabber, but they are pretty pricey and have received poor reviews on wet pavement. My driving is primarily on pavement, but I off road a good amount in sand and mud. I also make a yearly trip out west to places like Sedona and Moab (but don't do anything crazy). Just wondering what everyone's input is on the Nitto's, the Duratracs, or some of the other makes out there. :beer:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You really can't go wrong with ether the trail grapplers or the duratrecs. The exo grappler is just like the duratrec as well

JakeJK

Alright everyone, I am looking for some new tires for my '13 JKU. I am going to be installing a Teraflex leveling kit (1.75" front and 1" rear) and will be using the stock 17" rim. I am looking for a 33x12.5 tire (also I am running spacers) that offers some great traction in the mud, but is still road-friendly. I was looking at the General Grabber, but they are pretty pricey and have received poor reviews on wet pavement. My driving is primarily on pavement, but I off road a good amount in sand and mud. I also make a yearly trip out west to places like Sedona and Moab (but don't do anything crazy). Just wondering what everyone's input is on the Nitto's, the Duratracs, or some of the other makes out there. :beer:

Toyo open country mts

TCMguy

I've got a 2008 JK X model; this year I added full armour on the bottom, 1.5 inch spacers and a 2.5 inch suspension lift and 33 inch duratracs. I'm very happy with the duratracs although the piggy bank is empty until October as far as off-roading trips go but so far on pavement and gravel they have done well and are relatively quiet on the highway. I'll let you know how they do on the trail but I've seen other rigs with them and they appear to do fine.

USMC Wrangler

I'm running the BFG KM2's in 255/80R17. BFG shows they measure 33.3" unmounted by 10" wide. I run mine between 32-35 and my programmer has the speedo dialed in using 32.25". They have been great for me in rain, but the paved roads nearby are a pea gravel and tar combo. I'm running the EVO Leveling kit for reference. These are Load E tires, but they do not seem harsh to me. Good luck deciding! :yup:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440273738.237160.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378523.534314.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439378594.548702.jpg

Edited to add...the road noise is barely noticeable with the hard top on. Only seems slightly more with windows down and/or top off.

Last edited:

Shantz

Love my Mickey MTZ's... fairly quiet for the tread, great handling on the road, awesome grip on the trail.

ITLL GO

Hey I have the Nittos in 35" by 12.5 with 17" methods. I love them! They are pretty quite on the road, which surprised me. So far been great on in the rain and gravel. However they do toss larger rocks up your jeep, so did my stock rubicon KM's. I love the look of the Km2's but gotta say the Nittos are better looking in person. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440458367.717000.jpg

BlackHawk08jk

The nitto trail grappler is a great on road tire and great off road. The are quite for a mud tire as well. I also really like the toyo mt, but they are a little more expensive. The road wear is really good on them though. They do great off road though. The mudd grappler is great off road and they handle and wear decent, but they are noisy.

Clark Griswold

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1440463479.382493.jpg
I have been very pleased with my BFG AT K02's. They are 32.25 tall by I think 9 wide at 36psi, they have been great for me in mud, sand, snow and wet pavement. Just air down for optimum performance. These things are ultra quiet on the highway even after 40k miles and they look like they easily have another 30k or more miles left in them.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I'm running the BFG KM2's in 255/80R17. BFG shows they measure 33.3" unmounted by 10" wide. I run mine between 32-35 and my programmer has the speedo dialed in using 32.25". They have been great for me in rain, but the paved roads nearby are a pea gravel and tar combo. I'm running the EVO Leveling kit for reference. These are Load E tires, but they do not seem harsh to me. Good luck deciding! :yup:

View attachment 161518

View attachment 161519

View attachment 161520

Edited to add...the road noise is barely noticeable with the hard top on. Only seems slightly more with windows down and/or top off.

I second USMC Wrangler.
The KM2s rule especially in the sand and mud. They are terrible in the snow. I'm going back to them this fall once I've worn out my MTRs.

Ghost*JK

I’ve got the TeraFlex performance leveling kit and Pro Comp 17 x 8 – running BFG 285/75R17 Muds.
Depending on the tire shop, you should be able to get these mounted on a factory wheel.

Top Bottom