Another tire question / suggestion request

Fishrising

Sorry for another tire question/suggestion thread, but I am at wits end and in analysis paralysis with all the info I've read.

Here is what I have:
*2011 JKU Sahara
*RK 1.75" BB LT kit installed (pucks)
*Rubicon wheels and tires installed
*Spidertrax 1.5" spacers on a shelf

Here are my goals/guidelines:
*Mildly more aggressive appearance than stock, but still noticeably different
*Slight gain in underbelly clearance for more clearance while driving down rutted farm roads and woods trails for hunting and fishing
*Not do anything to my suspension and other related components, other than I what already have with the BB
*Maintain the best road/highway comfort I can as this is my DD
*I do not rack crawl
*Keep Rubicon wheels
*I do drive it to VT from CT to ski nearly every other weekend in the winter regardless of weather (150 highway miles each way)
*I do drive it to Cape Cod (beach) from CT to every other weekend in the summer when the weather is sunny, but rarely drive it on the beach (150 highway miles each way)
*I am not for or against using the spacers I have

Tires I Have narrowed it down to:
*255/80R17 (33.1"x10.04") Cooper ST or ST MAXX
*285/75R17 (33.8"x11.2") Toyo Open Country AT2
*34"x10.5"R17 BFG AT T/A KO2

So, given the above information, what are your thoughts on the 3 tires/sizes I have listed above? What would you choose? Why? Do you have any other thoughts on how to meet my objectives (per goals/guidelines)?

My initial reaction is to go with the 255s, then the 34s, then the 285s...

Mine:
jeep011.jpg

Versus a 2015 Willys:
jeep012.jpg

Versus a 2014 Rubicon:
jeep013.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Fishrising

I've got 3.73s (automatic tranny) and Rancho RS7000MTs if that matters. I'll also look at the 285/70 size (Duratracs). There were on my slightly longer list, but I will give them more consideration.

Last edited:

noroad

I love nitto trail grapplers! they last very well, but duratrac's last very long and are amazing in the snow!

hhunter050

I love my coopers This is my second set on the jeep. I know you can't see them to well but I have 15k miles on them in that picture

Attachments

• 1440703850238.jpg
    1440703850238.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 222

A.J.

Sorry for another tire question/suggestion thread, but I am at wits end and in analysis paralysis with all the info I've read.

Here is what I have:
*2011 JKU Sahara

*Slight gain in underbelly clearance for more clearance while driving down rutted farm roads and woods trails for hunting and fishing
*Not do anything to my suspension and other related components, other than I what already have with the BB
*I do not rack crawl
*Keep Rubicon wheels
*I do drive it to VT from CT to ski nearly every other weekend in the winter regardless of weather (150 highway miles each way)
*I do drive it to Cape Cod (beach) from CT to every other weekend in the summer when the weather is sunny, but rarely drive it on the beach (150 highway miles each way)

So, given the above information, what are your thoughts on the 3 tires/sizes I have listed above? What would you choose? Why? Do you have any other thoughts on how to meet my objectives (per goals/guidelines)?

I have run just about every Toyo tire ever made over the years. With the sizes you have listed and stated goal I think the AT2 is a great choice. They are just enough bigger to give you the look you want and will do a fine job for your driving mix. I also like the KM2 a lot. It is also a great tire for what you do and will probably be the best riding tire of the three. Cooper tires have changed the most in my opinion over the past few years, but I think they are a little step down from the other two in terms of highway ride and snowy weather. I think you will be very happy with any of the three.......for awhile. Sorry to say, but you bought a Jeep, and with that you will eventually want to upgrade it and go "just a little bigger" as time goes on. You think you have control of your addiction, but you don't. It is growing in you right now.

dagdag

Here is what I have:
*2011 JKU Sahara

*I do not rack crawl
*Keep Rubicon wheels

I have run just about every Toyo tire ever made over the years. With the sizes you have listed and stated goal I think the AT2 is a great choice. They are just enough bigger to give you the look you want and will do a fine job for your driving mix. I also like the KM2 a lot. It is also a great tire for what you do and will probably be the best riding tire of the three. Cooper tires have changed the most in my opinion over the past few years, but I think they are a little step down from the other two in terms of highway ride and snowy weather. I think you will be very happy with any of the three.......for awhile. Sorry to say, but you bought a Jeep, and with that you will eventually want to upgrade it and go "just a little bigger" as time goes on. You think you have control of your addiction, but you don't. It is growing in you right now.

I have heard only good things about the BFG T/A KO2.

Buster3479

About the happiest on road my Jeep has ever been was with a small 0.5" spring lift, and 285/70/17 Duratracs. From there I've built up, and sacrificed a bit of on-road driving ease every step of the way. Just my opinion.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Answered your question over on JK-Forum, but just in case:

If you want something a little more aggressive that still gives decent on-road performance and wears well, look into the Toyo Open Country RT. Run them on my '14 Ram 1500 5.7L and have zero complaints over the last 7500 miles that I've put on them. Not as aggressive as a true M/T but more so than an A/T tire and have a 45k mile treadwear warranty. I run them in 33x12.50-18. They are a little on the heavy side, though, as they're a 3-ply tire I believe and because they're Toyo, a little costly. Maybe look into the Nitto Exo Grappler, too, as I believe it's a very similar tire. Same rubber compound, though.

JakeJK

Here is what I have:
*2011 JKU Sahara

*I do not rack crawl
*Keep Rubicon wheels

Mine:
jeep011.jpg

Versus a 2015 Willys:
jeep012.jpg

Versus a 2014 Rubicon:
jeep013.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I'm going BFG all I've heard is great things about them

Zstairlessone

When I lived in the mountains in Colorado, out by Steamboat, I ran BFG ATs. Tried other tires, but the original AT just worked. Great in all types of snow (and slush) and great in the warm months off road. I just put a set of 275/70-17 KO2s on my DD (a mostly stock Rubicon). 2 things, they are smaller than the KM2s I have on my other Jeep but look just right, and I didn't have to adjust the steering stops, install wheel spacers, or put on a lift to run them. Road manners seem even better than the original KOs and with more siping I expect snow driving to be improved as well.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Here is what I have:
*2011 JKU Sahara

*I do not rack crawl
*Keep Rubicon wheels

Thanks in advance!

So that we're on the same page, when it comes to sizing tires with lift kits, you NEED to be working off the equivalent of an "ADVERTISED" tire measured in inches and NOT the "actual" size. In other words, a 34x10.50 tire will have an actual measurement closer to 32" meaning that a 285/75 will actually measure a lot taller than it. In fact, it will measure closer to what an advertised 35" tire will be.

JakeJK

So that we're on the same page, when it comes to sizing tires with lift kits, you NEED to be working off the equivalent of an "ADVERTISED" tire measured in inches and NOT the "actual" size. In other words, a 34x10.50 tire will have an actual measurement closer to 32" meaning that a 285/75 will actually measure a lot taller than it. In fact, it will measure closer to what an advertised 35" tire will be.

I thought that the advertised size gets smaller no matter whether it's in metric or US? I feel like the tire will shrink after mounting with either measurement because they cannot predict the weight of the vehicle they are going on therefore they must be measure when not on a vehicle(the metric ones) wouldn't this cause the same effect as the advertised 35 inch tire only being 33 inches when mounted?

Edit: just saw who posted this LOL you definitely know what you're talking about ignore everything I just said haha

JakeJK

So going from my stock SRAs to 35x12.5r17s in only going to get a 1.5 inch bigger tire? And only 0.75 inches of clearance?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! You really need to stop obsessing over numbers. Take a tape measure and find out for yourself just how tall (or short) your factory tires really are. This will help give you A better perspective on things.

JakeJK

LOL!! You really need to stop obsessing over numbers. Take a tape measure and find out for yourself just how tall (or short) your factory tires really are. This will help give you A better perspective on things.

Haha that's a good idea I'll go do that lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only time "actual" tire size matters is when you're calibrating your speedo. Otherwise, when it comes to things like lifts, manufacturers and people in the know will ALWAYS refer to "advertised" size (which is always smaller) when it comes to tires. When it comes to metric tires, you need to compare them to their inch size advertised equivalent.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Wouldn't "advertised size" usually be larger than actual size? My 37x12.50 measured a little over 36.5" inflated to 30 psi.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't "advertised size" usually be larger than actual size? My 37x12.50 measured a little over 36.5" inflated to 30 psi.

Measure from the center of your wheel to the ground and x2. Tell me that you still get 36.5". Most every 37" tire I have seen has an actual measurement closer to 35". But hey, what do I know.

JakeJK

Measure from the center of your wheel to the ground and x2. Tell me that you still get 36.5". Most every 37" tire I have seen has an actual measurement closer to 35". But hey, what do I know.

I didn't think to measure like that, that makes a lot of sense considering only the bottom side of the tire is being compressed at any given time

Top Bottom