Eaton e locker questions

tharb5111

Can't seem to find info in pdf from eaton nor a Google search. So hopefully someone running the Eaton elock can help me out.

1. To engage locker I must be in either 4 lo or 4 hi correct? Or is it only to be engaged while in 4 lo?

I know the manual said to only engage it at speeds less than 5 mph so I assumed this means 4 lo? But it also said max speed while engaged is 20mph. So this could mean engaging it in 4 hi is fine? Probably doesn't matter just thought I'd ask.

2. What happens if the switch is accidentally left engaged while switching back into 2wd? For example I forget to disengage locker but shift from 4 hi back into regular 2wd?

Just want to know what I'm doing so I don't trash the new locker and the pdf is very vague about these possibilities?

3. Also noticed when disengaging the locker it didn't seem to want to unlock until I slowed turned slightly then put it in neutral. Then it disengaged. Is that normal disengagement behavior?

Locker is brand new. And I'm in need of training here.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ant's JK

I had an e locker on my older jk, you can engage it in 2wd too I used to use it all the time in the winter in 2wd and for the speeds I always came to a complete stop before engaging it just because I wanted to be on the safe side. You can switch between 4lo 4 high or 2wd with it engaged. As for it being stuck till you switched to neutral it takes a sec or 2 to disengage some times does not seem like an issue

Last edited:

bsimon187

You can engage it whenever. Just make sure you are not full throttle with one wheel stuck. It takes it a couple secs to fully disengage switching to neutral won't help it.

tharb5111

I am glad it's that simple to use. Figured I was over thinking it. Did you guys like your eaton elockers? I researched aLot and feel I made a good decision. My other option was aussie locker in front but I liked the 4 pin dana 30 locker that's on/ off with a button for my newer jeep. Maybe after the locker dies I may consider the Aussie. Thanks again for info fellas.

bsimon187

The eatons are good lockers. I would buy them again. Had them in my 30 and rear 44 and now have them in my rear 60 and front 44. I waited for the 4 pinion before I bought it for my 30.

tharb5111

Ya I heard the d30 four pin was pretty solid. That's why I went with it up front and kept my factory command trac in the rear. Seems pretty solid combo for the light wheelin on trails I do. Planning on attending hidden falls wal noob run in October so I'm sure it will give me a chance to test my setup a bit more.

Installed 4.56 gears and synergy d30 c gussets and sleeves and control arm skids as well. I like the feel of the 4.56 with my 32s. Huge torque jump. At some point I'll get around to installing my lift and add my 35s, both of which are just sitting in the garage waiting to be installed when I get the time and energy.

tharb5111

The eatons are good lockers. I would buy them again. Had them in my 30 and rear 44 and now have them in my rear 60 and front 44. I waited for the 4 pinion before I bought it for my 30.

Btw I really like the pic of your jk half doors. Are those rugged ridge ones that eddie runs on moby?

tharb5111

No- they are bestops. Made of fabric. Super light and easy to take on and off.

Cool. Really like the look. I may do this. Like the price too. Heard they flap a bit on highway but at that price and the fact I don't do too much highway makes them appealing. Looks great on your Jeep.

bsimon187

Cool. Really like the look. I may do this. Like the price too. Heard they flap a bit on highway but at that price and the fact I don't do too much highway makes them appealing. Looks great on your Jeep.

If you install them right they don't flap. They are adjustable and you need to make sure you adjust them to fit your door. Takes a few minutes, and then you are good to go.

tharb5111

If you install them right they don't flap. They are adjustable and you need to make sure you adjust them to fit your door. Takes a few minutes, and then you are good to go.

Good to hear. Sounds pretty easy and I like how light weight it is. I am really digging the look. :thumbup:

Top Bottom