New rim won't fit

elray

When I got my Jeep it had 5x5.5 rims on it but was still rocking the old stock 5x4.5 rim on the spare. I've done some searching on how to make the new matching rim I just got fit but the only kind of results I'm getting is for an adapter; just like the ones I have on my four wheels now. However I don't want to buy a whole new adapter for something that doesn't have to be precise. So I'm looking for your input or ideas on how to achieve this. I've been considering cutting the bolts off the spare tire carrier and rewelding them back on in the right spot, but that would cause my new spare tire to just barely not fit under the middle brake light... So I'd need a spacer to push out the rim about an inch anyway. At any rate, I hope this makes sense, let me know what you guys think.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How does a 100lb tire and wheel not need to have precise mounting when it's hanging off the back of your jeep?

I'm sure bungy cords will hold it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I think one of the company's will sell one adapter but I would just buy wheels in the correct bolt pattern.

dillard09

That's what Im thinking. Just buy an adapter, get your right wheel bolt pattern, and get that needed space you need. Win, Win, Win.

A.J.

When I got my Jeep it had 5x5.5 rims on it but was still rocking the old stock 5x4.5 rim on the spare. I've done some searching on how to make the new matching rim I just got fit but the only kind of results I'm getting is for an adapter; just like the ones I have on my four wheels now. However I don't want to buy a whole new adapter for something that doesn't have to be precise. So I'm looking for your input or ideas on how to achieve this. I've been considering cutting the bolts off the spare tire carrier and rewelding them back on in the right spot, but that would cause my new spare tire to just barely not fit under the middle brake light... So I'd need a spacer to push out the rim about an inch anyway. At any rate, I hope this makes sense, let me know what you guys think.

So you have a TJ (5on4.5) with adapters to 5on5.5 but your spare tire carrier is 5on4.5. You bought another 5on5.5 wheel to match and need to alter the spare tire carrier so it will bolt on plus the new wheel offset is such that you need an inch more clearance to bolt it on. Ok easy then. Get a short piece of box steel. Drill two holes on one side for the carrier (5on4.5) and two holes on the other side 5on5.5 for the wheel. If your carrier has three holes just use this for the bottom two and a long bolt for the top one.

If you can weld it is even easier for you. Only have to drill 2 holes. Seems like a pretty obvious solution if you have done any welding.

Last edited:

elray

So you have a TJ (5on4.5) with adapters to 5on5.5 but your spare tire carrier is 5on4.5. You bought another 5on5.5 wheel to match and need to alter the spare tire carrier so it will bolt on plus the new wheel offset is such that you need an inch more clearance to bolt it on. Ok easy then. Get a short piece of box steel. Drill two holes on one side for the carrier (5on4.5) and two holes on the other side 5on5.5 for the wheel. If your carrier has three holes just use this for the bottom two and a long bolt for the top one.

If you can weld it is even easier for you. Only have to drill 2 holes. Seems like a pretty obvious solution if you have done any welding.

That's very useful and thanks for understanding what I'm asking. I apologize for my original post not making enough sense for others. Using some box steel never occurred to me and I was thinking I'd have to get some aluminum machined to fit. Thanks again.

thardy

Banned
That's very useful and thanks for understanding what I'm asking. I apologize for my original post not making enough sense for others. Using some box steel never occurred to me and I was thinking I'd have to get some aluminum machined to fit. Thanks again.

It's still not the best idea. The best idea would be to run the correct wheels, spacer on the tire carrier or buying a new bumper and tire carrier that you can have the needed bolt pattern on.

elray

With a butt load of expendable income, I'm sure there are numerous ways and examples of doing things "better". But as I've stated, I'm trying to get out of buying a "whole new adapter" and one could conclude that funds are an issue. But thank you for your insight.

JAGS

Hooked
So spend some money on some steel and waste a shit ton of time half adding some fab work? Meanwhile the folks behind must trust 100% in your work vs having a wheel fly off.

OR, spend $125 on a proven pair of wheel adapters/spacer that you can bolt right up.

Why is there even any discussion??? If you can't afford $125, you bought the wrong fucking vehicle!!! No offense of course.

Last edited:

thardy

Banned
With a butt load of expendable income, I'm sure there are numerous ways and examples of doing things "better". But as I've stated, I'm trying to get out of buying a "whole new adapter" and one could conclude that funds are an issue. But thank you for your insight.

If you want the cheapest option, take the carrier off, remove the rear seat, and stick your spare in the back. THAT is your cheapest option and probably the safest option. I understand that cost is a concern but when safety is involved, cheap is not the first thing that comes to mind.

elray

I appreciate all your responses. I'm wondering though, is it really "unsafe" to make a bracket/adapter if you us strong equipment and good strong welds? I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

Also, I should add, I'm a single parent with two toddlers, so taking the back seat out is not an option.

ChaosNein

it is good to see that additional respones have made this much more entertaining...

dont be cheap, buy a spacer. EVERYONE behind you will beglad you did.

David1tontj

I appreciate all your responses. I'm wondering though, is it really "unsafe" to make a bracket/adapter if you us strong equipment and good strong welds? I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.

Also, I should add, I'm a single parent with two toddlers, so taking the back seat out is not an option.

In my opinion, no, it is not unsafe to make a bracket IF YOU HAVE THE SKILLS/EQUIPMENT TO DO SO.

BUT, if you are asking how to make the said bracket, it implies that you don't know what you are doing, or are not confident in your fabrication skills, which means that YES, I BELIEVE IT IS THEN UNSAFE to make a bracket.

The $25 adapter that MOABBND posted seems about as cheap as making a bracket, but a whole lot easier.

elray

I agree, and thanks for finding that. I looked on ebay but could only find sets, and the only single I could find was over $80 with shipping.

Top Bottom