On Board air compressor vs tank style air

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to have a PowerPlant but can't seem to find one for under $1,650. Do they occasionally go on sale for $1,250 or something / any tips on how to get one for that price?

You can find them used from time to time but really, for what all you get, I personally find the price tag to be worth it.

Have you run any power tools off the Powerplant itself? Im thinking about adding a spare air tank but I don't know if I need it...

I have or should I say, have tried but it's kind of useless unless you have a tank to help it along.

Does anyone make a tank that can be filled from an ARB compressor? I know it would be slow but extra air could be helpful.

Viair makes all kinds of tanks and in different sizes that you can make work.

SevenSlotSpartan

If you're gonna follow me up 70 in Colorado. No

Lol

:cheesy: lol yeah the 3.8 struggles on the highway for sure. I mean i only have 33s but i can feel everything working so hard with stock gearing and drivetrain components :idontknow:

This is what I chose to go with on both of my current JK's. I have run an ARB under the hood in the past on one of my other JK's and was happy with it but still prefer the PowerPlant.

Hey Eddie so with all the hardcore trails you guys do out west, i take it the PowerPlant holds up well? I know down here we don't have the hardest of technical trails but the mud can get a little thick :thumb: I'm really starting to love this option considering it is pretty affordable for what you get and it takes two projects and turns them into one :wings:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie so with all the hardcore trails you guys do out west, i take it the PowerPlant holds up well? I know down here we don't have the hardest of technical trails but the mud can get a little thick :thumb: I'm really starting to love this option considering it is pretty affordable for what you get and it takes two projects and turns them into one :wings:

Well, what I can tell you is that we're still running the same PowerPlant on Moby that we installed way back in 2007. If you've seen any of our videos, you'll have an idea of just how well it's done for us over the years.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
What size would be good for mostly airing up tires, I have the mid size ARB not the twin and don't run air tools but would like the ability to if need be?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What size would be good for mostly airing up tires, I have the mid size ARB not the twin and don't run air tools but would like the ability to if need be?

Bigger is always better but finding a place to mount it will be enough of a challenge that it more than anything will determine the size you ultimately go with.

resqman911

I went with a tank strictly for the cost. My entire tank set-up cost me right at $300 with mounting bracket, I have refilled my 35's and my cousins 37's twice now ( 16 tires ) and still have Co2 in the tank, and I pay $10 to refill. Its fast and quiet. I just couldn't justify $700 for the ARB twin. I got the tank and had $400 left over to spend on other things.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I know most tanks are made better now, and usually alum. I would be worried about mounting one inside the jeep since there is no trunk. I have done many air ride installs in cars and have seen a few horror stories of when a tank decides to blow. Its rare for sure, but can happen and I would rather want at least seats or something blocking it.

SevenSlotSpartan

Well, what I can tell you is that we're still running the same PowerPlant on Moby that we installed way back in 2007. If you've seen any of our videos, you'll have an idea of just how well it's done for us over the years.

Wow no idea that's been the same winch!! But yes the videos are pretty much the reason i started looking around on Wayalife and ultimately the reason i joined! So with your experience Eddie do you think running the PowerPlant with potentially a tank just as a back up or for emergencies is a good route to go? I mean im looking at a Warn winch any ways but if i can get it all tied into one system that sounds great to me!

SevenSlotSpartan

I went with a tank strictly for the cost. My entire tank set-up cost me right at $300 with mounting bracket, I have refilled my 35's and my cousins 37's twice now ( 16 tires ) and still have Co2 in the tank, and I pay $10 to refill. Its fast and quiet. I just couldn't justify $700 for the ARB twin. I got the tank and had $400 left over to spend on other things.

Hey resqman what tank do you have? Is it a Powertank by chance? I'm looking at one of those, the ARB twin from northridge... Also considering the PowerPlant to put it all together.

resqman911

No I got the Smittybilt CompAir. I know guys on here hate on anything Smittybilt, but we are talking about a tank and regulator. I took a chance and so far very happy. No issues at all and for $250 it was a value.

t8er

Will a soft top still work with the way you have the tank mounted? I'm trying to figure out by looking at it if it will fit with my soft top.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441214343.761427.jpg

Not the best shot. It will fit with a traditional soft top but if you run a slant back top you'll need to make a bracket or buy one from powertank. You can also floor mount it but it needs to be at a 45* angle to work properly. I'll try to take another shot tonight.

tharb5111

View attachment 163226

Not the best shot. It will fit with a traditional soft top but if you run a slant back top you'll need to make a bracket or buy one from powertank. You can also floor mount it but it needs to be at a 45* angle to work properly. I'll try to take another shot tonight.

Thanks. I was curious if the top would still fold up and down with the tank on the bar like you have it. So this answers that. Thank you. And great looking Jeep btw.

t8er

Thanks. I was curious if the top would still fold up and down with the tank on the bar like you have it. So this answers that. Thank you. And great looking Jeep btw.

A smaller tank will you'll just have to space it out. My 15lb tank is just a touch to large.

Top Bottom