On Board air compressor vs tank style air

WJCO

Meme King
Mine was leaking around one of the manifold fittings, where the orange plastic disconnect clip was. It was like the clip was partially released. The compressor would cycle more than it should have. Luckily it was caught right after install. I just manipulated the line and clip and got it to stop leaking. You could always spray soapy water and look for bubbles if it's a really small leak as well.

WJCO

Meme King
Thread revival!!

Anyone else had issues with their ARB overheating? One person mentions this earlier in the thread and I've heard it elsewhere as well. That's kind of a showstopper for me if the long term plan is to not only air up tires but also lockers from this. If it overheats on me the moment I need lockers, that's no good. Only an issue if mounted in the engine bay perhaps?

I've ran mine for 15 minutes straight with no overheating. Also, you have electric lockers currently. Are you planning on axle swaps?

GraniteCrystal

I've ran mine for 15 minutes straight with no overheating. Also, you have electric lockers currently. Are you planning on axle swaps?
Eventually, yes. Probably 3-5 years out but I'd like to plan for the future.

Only downside to PowerTank seems to be that you need to refill it periodically. I'm thinking I'd rather deal with that periodic inconvenience at home rather than a large inconvenience on the trail if the ARB overheats.

WJCO

Meme King

Only downside to PowerTank seems to be that you need to refill it periodically. I'm thinking I'd rather deal with that periodic inconvenience at home rather than a large inconvenience on the trail if the ARB overheats.

Once the locker is engaged, the compressor shuts off. As long as there is constant air in the line (no leaks) then the compressor does nothing. Once air is released (when you turn off the locker), the compressor still won't come on until you turn on the locker again, and then the compressor kicks on for 2 seconds. The only chance of overheating would be during airing up, which isn't likely, and worst case, you can just drive slow to a gas station and fill up.

Here's a video of how long the compressor runs when locker is first engaged:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Depending on the size of your tires, you end up needing to fill it more than you'd think. Also, it's harder to offer up air to those around you who are in need of it. Of course, there's the size of the damn tank that you need to find a home for inside your Jeep too. Sure you can run air tools off of it but not for very long - trust me, I've tried. PowerTanks are great in airing up tires fast but honestly, that's about it... or, in my opinion anyway.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Thread revival!!

Anyone else had issues with their ARB overheating? One person mentions this earlier in the thread and I've heard it elsewhere as well. That's kind of a showstopper for me if the long term plan is to not only air up tires but also lockers from this. If it overheats on me the moment I need lockers, that's no good. Only an issue if mounted in the engine bay perhaps?

Depending on the size of your tires, you end up needing to fill it more than you'd think. Also, it's harder to offer up air to those around you who are in need of it. Of course, there's the size of the damn tank that you need to find a home for inside your Jeep too. Sure you can run air tools off of it but not for very long - trust me, I've tried. PowerTanks are great in airing up tires fast but honestly, that's about it... or, in my opinion anyway.

I've never had issues with my ARB overheating. I was going to mount a fitting on the front bumper with the compressor under the hood, but after reading more into it, ARB recommends (if using an under the hood installation) to keep your hood up while using it to allow it to vent better. Also, like Eddie said, the PowerTank is nice for speed but that's about it. I think they're big and bulky, and you have to limit how many people you can let air up after a trail run... because there's always that guy who airs down and has no way to air back up.

GraniteCrystal

because there's always that guy who airs down and has no way to air back up.

That'd be me right now :)

Ever seen an ARB overheat? Got to imagine Nevada would be a good place for it to happen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ever seen an ARB overheat? Got to imagine Nevada would be a good place for it to happen.

While I do have an ARB on both Moby and Rubicat, I pretty much use my WARN PowerPlant exclusively to air up. That being said, I did run an ARB on Nemo, our old 2009 JKU X and I did run one on my old TJ for airing up and no, I can't say that I ever had them overheat on me. As mentioned, I always aired up with the hood open and engine running though.

benatc1

Hooked

I have never seen one over hear- I'm sure Eddie has seen a lot more off roaring in general than but. But I really don't think it's going to be an inconvenience for you like you think- unless you have a leak of course

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
GraniteCrystal, just so you know... Dynatrac is giving a free compressor with the purchase of air lockers right now.

Wink wink ;) ;) ;)

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Another issue you don't hear about much is that CO2 bleeds through rubber so you'd have to keep an eye on your tire pressure.

jeeeep

Hooked

only time I've ever seen one overheat the guy shut the hood because he didn't like the noise.

but, he was able to fill up his and helped out another fellow Jeeper before it overheated

Mine was leaking around one of the manifold fittings, where the orange plastic disconnect clip was. It was like the clip was partially released. The compressor would cycle more than it should have. Luckily it was caught right after install. I just manipulated the line and clip and got it to stop leaking. You could always spray soapy water and look for bubbles if it's a really small leak as well.

Spraying soapy water is exactly how I found the leak on my ARB single. Was just a fitting that retorqued with some loctite and haven't had an issue since.

papa11

ive got a powerplant 12, it works great yes it ran 1800.00 but i love it. so do most of my friends who like to use my winch to air up after a run..the only negative is the winch sits up high on the bumper i currently have....

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

I'll have to check mine. I must have a leak. Pretty sure it was kicking on when I tested my locker.

Top Bottom