ABS, ESP/BAS, Traction Control Lights

TwistedJK

Hey guys, my luck with the jeep here over the last few weeks doesn't seem to be getting any better (first with the tranny/transfer case linkages, and now this). The jeep started out by just showing the traction control light and it would slow down/ hesitate for the first 30-50 feet or so, then it would drive normally. If the jeep sat for more than a few hours or so this problem would re-occur. After researching I deduced it was possibly a bad wheel speed sensor. With the help of this forum I found Eddies write-up on how to pull engine codes by turning the ignition on and off three times. I received a code (U1417) that stated left wheel signal. I have replaced both the front and rear sensors.

The jeep no longer hesitates as if the brakes are being applied. However, now all these lights are staying on. Where-as before they would turn off after driving 30-50 feet. I have disconnected the battery twice for more than 30 minutes to see if it would reset the computer, but it still does it. Again, no problem with the jeep, it just displays these warning lights. Oh, and because of it, will not allow me to use the cruise control. So far, since i replaced the rear sensor this morning, the lights have stayed on right after turning on the vehicle. I just arrived home after being out for a few hours, and the lights did not turn on until I was about half-way home (approximately 2-3 miles into driving). I've read that many people have this problem and it seems most have never found a solution, even with bypassing the original wiring and using new wires directly to the pcm.

I have adjusted the drag link to make sure the steering wheel is centered, however, if it's a finicky as I've read about, I'll check it again and make some small adjustments if needed.

Oh, and using the start/off ignition method to see if the code is still there, it's not showing anything anymore. Even with a scanner at the local Autozone (which theirs reads ABS codes, or so they say).

Could it possibly be from inside the front hub or where the rear sensor is housed? Also, with these lights staying on is it going to affect the jeep negatively as far as drive-ability if I continue to use it?

Only good news I've received so far about the JK is that my Northridge package with EVO shackle mounts and tramp stamp have arrived lol. I'm also no electrical guru either.

I apologize up front if this topic has been beaten to death too.

USMC Wrangler

I believe I read in a similar thread that it will take a long time for the system to reset after replacing the wheel sensors. Just off the top of my head. :twocents:

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
I've read somewhere if all 3 lights are one, it could mean there is a problem with the clock spring in the steering wheel.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm having same issue. I just threw in a new set of Dynatracs front and rear. Sensors were working fine before swap. Only 15k miles on the old ones.
Used my reprogrammer to adjust all new parameters and now I get this. For a short term fix I found if I turn the stability assist off as soon as I start it up, I'm ok and I don't get the traction control
overacting. This only works if the lights aren't already lit. If they are I have to wait until they go off and hit the button and then I'm ok. Annoying as hell. Also, this first happened when I drove it to the alignment shop. Wheel was very close to center but they did adjust slightly. No effect on lights. Still came on. Drove 500 miles since hoping it would reset but nothing. Curious to see how your visit goes Shadow...

bigbootysuperduty

I reset mine by:
Ignition off
Turn steering wheel left to lock
Then right to lock,
Straighten wheel,
Start and drive normally.
Lights go off after reaching 3rd gear.

I had ABS, Traction control, and airbag lights on, and used this after re entering my steering wheel.

Ddays

Hooked
It's worth a try but sounds like a video game move.... how the hell did you figure that one out?

bigbootysuperduty

It's worth a try but sounds like a video game move.... how the hell did you figure that one out?

Well my dash was lit up like a Christmas tree, and I did some web wheeling to find what I could do to fix it. I picked the jeep up with some issues, and am getting them worked out.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You most likely have a bad/faulty wheel speed sensor. Disconnect one of your front sensors (the clip is behind the shock tower) and see if your problem goes away.

Doesn't matter which side you disconnect since disconnecting one will turn the system off.

TwistedJK

Going to try the steering wheel option first. If that doesn't I'll unplug one of the sensors again, but man their a pain in the ass to get too lol.

bonedaddy

Going to try the steering wheel option first. If that doesn't I'll unplug one of the sensors again, but man their a pain in the ass to get too lol.

your jeep hates you ... that's my diagnosis ... she's obviously not a fan of the term "Tramp" ... ;)

I do like the Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Start method... ;)

Top Bottom