Largest tire and lift for 2000 TJ 2.5..

Giley's Jeep

Own above Jeep...Wanting to upgrade tire size suspension. Advice on best options without losing on road and off road performance..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can run a set of 31x10.50's without any issues. With the addition of a 1" body lift, you can run a set of 32's.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
You can run a set of 31x10.50's without any issues. With the addition of a 1" body lift, you can run a set of 32's.

You probably wouldn't want to go much more than that with the smaller engine, unless you regear, I'd assume.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
I own a YJ with the 2.5L and the stock 4.10s. Suspension is different so I won't comment on that but I have ran 33s and 35s. My first set of tires were 33x12.5x15 Baja Claws. I never used 5th gear. 60mph was my limit. Not the limit of the jeep but the limit I set. It was about 2500 RPM at ~60mph. My jeep is not a race car and that speed limit was just fine for me driving around town. 14.5 MPG was about the best I got. That was with an electric fan and a 4.0 throttle body.

I was hesitant about rock crawling because of the small engine and the tire size. But once I put it in 4Lo the damn thing went everywhere with little persuasion. I'm sure it wouldn't be a good combo for mud/sand but crawling was decent. It gave me enough confidence to purchase 35s. Acceleration was a little worse but not terrible. My mileage dropped to about 13.3 MPG. I haven't crawled with it yet. It's not a race car. If you can accept that then you will be happier. Good luck.

Moabbnd

After owning a 2.5L 5spd TJ with the stock 4.10s, I suggest not running anything above 31s if you want to keep a little highway power. I went from 235/75r15 to 32x11.5r15 to 33.12.50r15 and finally 35x12.50r17 with the stock gears. 32 and up fell flat on its face. It is doable to run 33s, but you'll hate it. Especially 35s....

You could add an Old Man Emu lift for good ride and keep it lower. Or an H&R 1" lift for good coils and add nice shocks. This'll allow for good clearance with 31, and you'll have a good riding suspension

Last edited:
Top Bottom