1999 XJ 4D 4WD Auto ready for trail project

TeamFaust

My brother is relocating out of country and has a great XJ that I was going to take from him as a new trail rig project. However, just too much going on right now so the timing for taking on a new project just isn't good for me right now. I am so bummed as this is a perfect Cherokee for what I was looking to do. So my loss may be someone else's gain and I'm helping my brother sell it so thought I'd float a feeler here... might as well make it available to our community first before the usual outlets.

Here is what it is:

1999 Cherokee XJ Sport Black -- stock and runs great and has been his wife's daily driver.
- 4 Door
- 4WD - SelecTrac (2H, 4H P-T, 4H F-T, N, 4L)
- Auto Trans
- Power Windows
- Power Locks
- Power Steering
- Tilt Wheel
- AC (blows nice and cold)
- Roof Rack
- Tinted Windows
- Sony AM/FM/CD with AUX USBs (one rear mounted & one on face)
- 237,000 miles

The Good:
1) Drive Train runs great -- although it does have some miles on it the drive train runs solid, about 25k miles ago he had a bunch of stuff worked on major items included:
distributor rebuilt, freeze plugs replaced, radiator hoses, belts, plugs, other misc. Just passed smog no problem in June 2015.
2) Interior is complete and all in very good condition (except for headliner, see below), no cracks in dash.
3) Exterior overall in pretty good condition (there are some issues mentioned below) -- see pics
4) Rear Bumper and plastic side Bumper Caps are like new as they had a minor rear-end where a compact slid under back. Structure all okay but replacement/repairs to bumper, bumper caps and new tailpipe section of exhaust. back end is like new -- see pics

The Not So Good:
1) He had an aftermarket sunroof installed years ago which developed a small leak in heavy rain, not a huge deal out here but his make shift headliner replacement (some type of gray felt -- he's not a car guy) needs to be pulled out and replaced as it has gone through a few wet/dry cycles. My plan was to take it all out and either remove or permanently seal the sunroof and either replace with proper headliner or bed-line the roof interior.
2) Minor passenger side fender and front door damage, missing both fender flares on this side -- see pics, As I understand it they clipped a parking lot pole. My plan was to cut the fenders anyway so wasn't overly concerned.
3) Although all of the power windows work, they only operate from the driver's master control panel, not at the individual door switches. Haven't had a chance to chase this down yet but thinking it is a simple electrical connection issue somewhere in the loop.
4) Tires need to be replaced

Even with it's "not so good's" given the distributor and other engine work not too long ago it is a solid platform for someone to make into a daily drivable great trail rig and I'm thinking $2,000.

Any thoughts from guys that may know this market a lot better than me?

1999 XJ 4D Sport driver.JPG 1999 XJ 4D Sport passenger.JPG 1999 XJ 4D Sport rear plate delete.jpg 1999 XJ 4D Sport sunroof.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom