Tires cracked from running them at 30PSI?

jorgelrod

Hooked
I have some Durun tires that are almost at the year mark, I've run them for 12K+ miles and they started to crack, went to the store I bought them from and they sent me to the supplier which told me that they were cracked due to running them at 30psi and running them lower on the trails, that since they are 10 ply they need to be run at 40+PSI. I personally don't think that is why but wanted to run it by the forum for some expert advice. Needles to say, I'm going back to Cooper on my next set.

They all look like this
IMG_9312.JPG IMG_9315.JPG

jorgelrod

Hooked
I was told they were made by cooper, I only bought them because there was a shortage of Cooper tires when it came time to change tires, needless to say I am regretting not waiting the extra month it took for the coopers to be back in stock

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Probably shitty rubber from a shitty brand. I would run them until you need new ones and don't buy those again.

srosario

na, i wouldnt worry, just run them to the last minute, shit u should see mines after a fender bender, and im still driving them 2000 miles later. missing chunks, you could see the white thread on the sidewall.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I'd have to agree, shitty rubber there. I run my tires at 27 psi and have never had anything like that. My advice would be always buy good, name brand tired. No matter how many cool mods you do to your rig, your tires are the only thing contacting the ground and in my opinion the most important bit of safety equipment you can modify. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

srosario

i though i had shitty tires, running federal mt. i run them at 22psi and so far 12k miles and still good, there just getting louder and louder.

jeeeep

Hooked
I was told they were made by cooper, I only bought them because there was a shortage of Cooper tires when it came time to change tires, needless to say I am regretting not waiting the extra month it took for the coopers to be back in stock

durum tires are not made by cooper, they're made by a Chinese company with a similar name of a Chinese company that cooper has ownership interest in.

10 ply do require a higher minimum air pressure and the Jeep is pretty light to run a 10 ply on

Last edited:

rsmwrangler

Nothing to do with psi, just bad rubber, I've ran Cooper before, and I doubt Cooper will make such a shitty tire, Cooper is made in USA, it's a small company, but their products are really good.

AZ45

The cracking from the low air pressure is very possible on a 10 ply tire. A 10ply tire has stiff sidewalls(without getting too technical) because they are designed to carry much higher loads. Whats happening is the tire is flexing way more than it was designed to, which creating the cracks. The stiff side wall may be an advantage in your application because the sidewall is more durable, but its a disadvantage when it comes to grip. Also a tire that is run under-inflated will produce more heat which is usually the cause of most failures that many would call "blow outs".

I've never heard of the brand your talking about, but Cooper Tires are a quality product. Cooper also owns the Mickey Thompson brand which may have something that more suits your needs.

I don't work for a tire manufacturer, but I'm on an off road guy and have been the tire biz since my tires were 20" on a Schwinn.

Bustedback

Every tire shop that sells off brand tires claim they're made by Cooper...at least that what it sounds in their broken English.

AZ45

Every tire shop that sells off brand tires claim they're made by Cooper...at least that what it sounds in their broken English.

Yes, that's pretty common. Most of the majors private label tire, unfortunately the guys at the point of sale rarely know the where they really come from because whatever tire they are selling isn't supposed to be represented as the major brand. Just because its made by(or claimed to be) Cooper, Toyo, Michelin ect. it doesnt mean its the same tire that the major is selling under their label. Its more than likely an older version or a tire engineered to a specific price point. Its not uncommon that a no name tire being sold for 100.00 has more profit built into than a major brand being sold at 150.00..so they're is motivation to sell the brand X. Why else would you ever be talked into spending less money on a tire?

That said, a 100.00 tire may be as good of a value as the 150.00 tire. not better...but it was 100.00 so you spent less and got less. Its like HF tools, they're a good value for the most part.

rinkishjk

My procomp mud terrains did this, my nitto tg's have not. It could also be due to the "age" of ur tires... How long they sat on the shelf or in a warehouse and the rubber dried out. All tires have a born on date...

Top Bottom