Roof Rack

zchurch

I have a 2003 TJ and I'm thinking for what I like to do out doors hunting, camping, general/moderate trails, and rescue people's vehicles in need a roof rack is necessary. I just would like some tips on if they are worth the money put into them for the extra room or is it just a big hit to the wallet. I am on a budget so the price of the smittybuilt one is what I will probably get. I know smittybuilt isn't the best but all this has to do is hold gear. Any tips or experience is appropriated.

Ben E

I had a friend who bought out a large amount of stock from an offroad company that closed, to include roof racks. He had like 10 of them behind his house that he could never sell so he gave me one that I was going to lengthen from TJ size to LJ size. Then I realized "wait dude, if you put that on you're not going to fit in the garage anymore". Scrapped that project right there. I would love to have the extra gear capacity for Colorado trips, but it's more important to be able to keep my Jeep out of the elements during the winter... Just one thing to consider.

Anyway, I don't think you could go wrong with any brand, they're all pretty much accomplishing the same thing. What I would be worried about between a low dollar and a high dollar option is the quality of the powercoat/other finish. I am not a fan of fighting rust here in the midwest. That being said, I don't think you could go wrong with Smittybilt if you keep your eye on the paint.

Top Bottom