Question about Fuel Carries, pros and cons

WJCO

Meme King
I know a lot of you guys have extra fuel tanks on your rigs. I think that will be my next in the future mod but I will only use it on longer trips or to help out a fellow Jeeper. I like the way the rotopax looks and slim design, but not sure I want to spend that kind of money for something I probably won't use that much. I also am looking at a basic Jerry can and can probably build the mount myself or buy a cheaper one.

Any suggestions from you guys that have run these for a long time. Pros? Cons? I have a roof rack and thought about mounting it there, but also don't want to deal with extra wind noise or an even further drop in mpg. Any brands that work great or brands to stay away from. I have a DIY spare tire carrier and have no issues welding on to that if I have to. And is it really worth buying a locking system for it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, here in America, it's really hard to run out of fuel so long as you plan ahead. The only reason why you would need to carry extra fuel is if you're intentionally planning to skip gas stops that would otherwise prevent you from needing it. While I do have the means to carry extra fuel, I really prefer not to as it's just more weight to carry and more times than not, I still end up not needing it. Based on what you're saying, you probably don't even need one.

That being said, if you are still wanting something, the Rotopax is what I would recommend if only because it'll give you the most mounting options.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
:twocents:I am nervous about carrying outboard fuel. Was on a trail run with a hot rodded CJ5 who decided to haul ass up a sand wash. He tucked a front tire and flipped onto the steel jerry cans mounted on the rear carrier. There were either two or three full rolls. It happened so fast and there was so much dust it was hard to tell. No one was really hurt and they got out very fast (full cage and 3 point harnesses) but after the fire the CJ was almost unrecognizable. I've been a chickenshit about external fuel ever since. But hey, that's just me.:twocents:

WJCO

Meme King
Gotcha. Good call. Thanks for the personal experience feedback.

Honestly, here in America, it's really hard to run out of fuel so long as you plan ahead. The only reason why you would need to carry extra fuel is if you're intentionally planning to skip gas stops that would otherwise prevent you from needing it. While I do have the means to carry extra fuel, I really prefer not to as it's just more weight to carry and more times than not, I still end up not needing it. Based on what you're saying, you probably don't even need one.

That being said, if you are still wanting something, the Rotopax is what I would recommend if only because it'll give you the most mounting options.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, you see something like that, and I bet it makes you think twice. Thanks for the heads up.

:twocents:I am nervous about carrying outboard fuel. Was on a trail run with a hot rodded CJ5 who decided to haul ass up a sand wash. He tucked a front tire and flipped onto the steel jerry cans mounted on the rear carrier. There were either two or three full rolls. It happened so fast and there was so much dust it was hard to tell. No one was really hurt and they got out very fast (full cage and 3 point harnesses) but after the fire the CJ was almost unrecognizable. I've been a chickenshit about external fuel ever since. But hey, that's just me.:twocents:

t8er

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442337408.340172.jpg

I have 2 jerry cans in an ORFAB carrier. I keep one tank full and just use it once every two weeks. I've wheeled with both tanks full before and never had to use them. I've wheeled for 10-12 hours in a day and as long as I started off full I was ok. I would still recommend it because like most things I've found that you're prepared when someone else isn't.

WJCO

Meme King
Gotcha. Good words. I've definitely a preparedness kind of guy as far as that aspect goes. I like the setup you have. Looks like you're not too far from me. We just did Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats not too long ago. You familiar with that trail?

View attachment 165063

I have 2 jerry cans in an ORFAB carrier. I keep one tank full and just use it once every two weeks. I've wheeled with both tanks full before and never had to use them. I've wheeled for 10-12 hours in a day and as long as I started off full I was ok. I would still recommend it because like most things I've found that you're prepared when someone else isn't.

BDSJEEP

I'm just a beginner here and just tryna' figure things out myself, but found this thread interesting.

One perspective that comes to my mind is rotopax are probably more "family-friendly". Where a full 5 gal Jerry can is going to weigh upwards of 40 pounds or more, a couple 2 gal pax are most likely in the 10-15 pound each range. Easier to handle and maneuver, especially when you're in a bad mood from running out of gas.

...additionally, they sell "blemished" ones for close to half price if cost is a big factor.

Just thought I'd throw my perspective out there.

Hope it helps.

WJCO

Meme King
Yep. Agreed. I've even looked at the 4 gallon Rotopax. I'm still tossing the idea around in my head of whether I should even do it. Like Eddie said, rarely needed. I also camp year-round and am going to start carrying a small chainsaw for camping in the winter just to save some time cutting firewood. That is another reason I'm considering extra fuel as well, so I don't have to leave fuel in the chainsaw inside the vehicle.

I'm just a beginner here and just tryna' figure things out myself, but found this thread interesting.

One perspective that comes to my mind is rotopax are probably more "family-friendly". Where a full 5 gal Jerry can is going to weigh upwards of 40 pounds or more, a couple 2 gal pax are most likely in the 10-15 pound each range. Easier to handle and maneuver, especially when you're in a bad mood from running out of gas.

...additionally, they sell "blemished" ones for close to half price if cost is a big factor.

Just thought I'd throw my perspective out there.

Hope it helps.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have the AEV fuel caddy and can say that the Rotopax would be much easier to remove when not needed.when I'm traveling I only keep about 8 gallons in it and I have had to use it a couple of times, once during a longer than expected offroad excursion and another on a trip home. I made my nornal fuel stops but I hit such a strong headwind my mileage dropped considerably and i ran out of gas before my next gas stop, i was very happy to have the extra fuel.
also didn't help that I had done all my planning based on the 35s I used to run and now I have 37s, lesson learned

naysjp

Caught the Bug
View attachment 165063

This is a great choice for a carrier. No noise, the jerry can stays in place and you can use whatever bumper you wish. I had this on my TJ and plan on having it on my JK

t8er

Gotcha. Good words. I've definitely a preparedness kind of guy as far as that aspect goes. I like the setup you have. Looks like you're not too far from me. We just did Middle St Vrain/Coney Flats not too long ago. You familiar with that trail?

I live off Lincoln and 25. It's the ORFAB tire carrier. It's a good setup but not the easiest to adjust. I've hit ledges and so far no issues. I did MSV/Coney August 29th. The thing I like about the jerry cans is they hold more than the rotopax. ORFAB also makes a rotopax version. If I wasn't running this id probably run the EVO carrier.

Top Bottom