WARN 9.5 Powerplant and synthetic rope

Weeeee

I am planning to pickup the Warn powerplant 9.5 but want to switch the rope out with synthetic. Has anyone found a good replacement 125' rope for this?

WJCO

Meme King
I have a Zeon and use the 100' Spydura.

My dad has a Warn xd9000 but has Smittybuilt rope. He consulted with a trusted 4x4 guy in our area that says the Smittybuilt was cheaper, that's all. His Warn originally came with steel. Both of us have limited use on our ropes but so far have held up fine.

I have a Zeon and use the 100' Spydura.

My dad has a Warn xd9000 but has Smittybuilt rope. He consulted with a trusted 4x4 guy in our area that says the Smittybuilt was cheaper, that's all. His Warn originally came with steel. Both of us have limited use on our ropes but so far have held up fine.

Smittybilt offers a host of synthetic rope. 11/32" for 8k pounds, 25/64" for 10k pounds, and 7/16" for 12k pounds. I know for a fact that the Smitty line doesn't hold up to UV as well as The Spydura, which is 3/8". The rope diameter is important because it will decide how much length the spool can hold and it also needs to match compatibility on snatch-blocks.

I like Spydura or the Aramid lines like the ones here -> http://www.jeepswag.com/shop/shop/synthetic-winch-line-rope/aramid-heat-proof-synthetic-winch-rope/

ClarksAdventures

I am planning to pickup the Warn powerplant 9.5 but want to switch the rope out with synthetic. Has anyone found a good replacement 125' rope for this?

Just a thought. I was going to get the 9.5, but then realized you can upgrade to the 12 for only about $60. Seems like a good deal for an extra 2500lbs of pulling power.

Just a thought. I was going to get the 9.5, but then realized you can upgrade to the 12 for only about $60. Seems like a good deal for an extra 2500lbs of pulling power.

I believe it's 15 pounds heavier as well (which is likely due to the gearbox as the motor is the same). It also pulls slightly more current across the load range. The biggest reason I wouldn't go this way is the loss in cable. In order to pull 12k the line needs to be up-sized and it is bigger.

Sorry for the hijack. I have the warn powerplant hd. So everyone agrees that the warn spydura is the way to go. 80 or 100 feet? Any online discounts?

daverawr

Sorry for the hijack. I have the warn powerplant hd. So everyone agrees that the warn spydura is the way to go. 80 or 100 feet? Any online discounts?

I would say longer is better. Never know when you may need that extra 20feet. Could be a make or break it in some sticky situations.

Weeeee

The power plant comes with 125' or steel cable, I was asking if anyone found 125' of synthetic and so far no one has. I have a winch with 80' and have often needed just a little more so the 125' seems like heaven to me.

The only thing I can find is Masterpull Superline 5/16" x 125' for around $500

The power plant comes with 125' or steel cable, I was asking if anyone found 125' of synthetic and so far no one has. I have a winch with 80' and have often needed just a little more so the 125' seems like heaven to me.

The only thing I can find is Masterpull Superline 5/16" x 125' for around $500

The link I provided on post #4 has 125' as a standard length. :thinking:

Remember a winch runs better with more line out. I personally would keep it between 80-100' and have some extension lines for when the extra length is needed.

Weeeee

The link I provided on post #4 has 125' as a standard length. :thinking:

Remember a winch runs better with more line out. I personally would keep it between 80-100' and have some extension lines for when the extra length is needed.

The power plant will only fit 125 of 5/16 or 100 of 3/8, seems like that may be the most cost effective way, 100ft + an extension. The Superline has a higher break strength using 5/16 over the standard 3/8 but you pay for it.

80 ft has been too short for me on many occasions, the extra 20 feet should help.

JeepJeep75

What method of rope-to-drum attachment are you guys using? The end of my synthetic line just has a copper crimp. So I took a 1 inch wide piece of tie down strap, put a knot in it, slipped the crimp through the knot, then poked a hole in the ends of the strap and bolted that to the drum. Maybe I over complicated it. Seems to work though. Line doesn't slip on the drum.

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds like you did ok. I've seen guys use tape, zip ties, etc. For the PowerPlant, I didn't find any instructions on Warn's website for synthetic rope attachment for this winch. I have seen several other winches that have a bore on the side of the drum to secure the rope/cable with a provided screw. REGARDLESS, once you get around 6 coils of rope on the drum, the way the rope is attached to the drum does nothing. The friction of the rope coils on the drum are what give the security. So as long as it's not moving, it's fine. I prefer not to run mine down past the first row of coils if I can help it.

What method of rope-to-drum attachment are you guys using? The end of my synthetic line just has a copper crimp. So I took a 1 inch wide piece of tie down strap, put a knot in it, slipped the crimp through the knot, then poked a hole in the ends of the strap and bolted that to the drum. Maybe I over complicated it. Seems to work though. Line doesn't slip on the drum.

Top Bottom