2001 tj

Pokie

hi everyone on Wayalife!

im looking for some directions towards what to do with my diffs...

i currently have a 2001 TJ with what i believe to have Dana 30 (front) & 35 (rear) please correct me if i am wrong,
lots of people are telling me to buy lockers - but heard lots of people welding them....

questions purposed, which is better, which is safer (haha...) which is better on fuel (haha...) and which is better for hauling, going threw deep snow and mud?!?!?

hope you guys can help me out! :D

Moabbnd

I'd leave the rear open if you plan on keeping the d35. A selectable locker up front will be nice to have for the snow so you have the ability to turn it off when you need 4wd. Honestly, I'd want selectable lockers front and rear you if need both. Otherwise a selectable up front and a truetrac rear would be a good setup, but make sure you address that d35 before you do anything to the rear end

Last edited:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
X2 on the d35, I broke mine in my 99 TJ twice and it just had the Trac Loc that it came with.

David1tontj

hi everyone on Wayalife!

im looking for some directions towards what to do with my diffs...

i currently have a 2001 TJ with what i believe to have Dana 30 (front) & 35 (rear) please correct me if i am wrong,
lots of people are telling me to buy lockers - but heard lots of people welding them....

questions purposed, which is better, which is safer (haha...) which is better on fuel (haha...) and which is better for hauling, going threw deep snow and mud?!?!?

hope you guys can help me out! :D

Post a pic of your rear axle cover.

BlackBandit

Axle lockers rock. I got a rubicon so it came with em. Me and my buddy put a sticker over the axle locker switch saying Tank mode. Because it has saved my ass soo many times in mud and rocks and even deep sand.

David1tontj

Axle lockers rock. I got a rubicon so it came with em. Me and my buddy put a sticker over the axle locker switch saying Tank mode. Because it has saved my ass soo many times in mud and rocks and even deep sand.

Yes they are great. One of the single best improvements you can make.

But-

If you lock a bad axle, it turns that "tank mode" switch into a "self destruct" switch. Despite knowing better, I had to try it for myself and installed an ARB air locker in a Dana 35..... First time I got in a spot where I needed it, flipped it on, and within seconds had a broken axle. [emoji107]🏻

Op- that's why I want to see a pic of your axle- I wouldn't invest any money in a Dana 35..

Top Bottom