Pull Pal

Who has a pull pal? Ever used one? Would you spend the money for one?

The first rule of wheeling....go with someone else (at least two rigs). But, what happens when your both stuck or your on Pritchett Canyon trail and you break your front driveshaft u-joints and you don't want to keep your group from having a great day on the trail. You tell them to go ahead and you turn back. You need four wheel drive to get over a few of the obstacles and you pull out your pull pal and winch to get down the trail.

Who has one and do you ever use it/would you spend the money on another?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Pull pal wouldn't really work on Pritchett.

They are massive and take up a ton of space.

Probably only benefit would be in the African desert.

Pull pal wouldn't really work on Pritchett.

They are massive and take up a ton of space.

I watched a guy use it on that very trail in those very instances.....Thats why I used that example.

They used to be HUGE!! The new one is really pretty small and could be attached to a Hi-lift or mount onto a Hi-lift mount like the one EVO makes. The "shovel" is easy on/off.

In snow or mud without a tree or other winch point, it may come in handy.

ttfhell

I watched a guy use it on that very trail in those very instances.....Thats why I used that example.

They used to be HUGE!! The new one is really pretty small and could be attached to a Hi-lift or mount onto a Hi-lift mount like the one EVO makes. The "shovel" is easy on/off.

In snow or mud without a tree or other winch point, it may come in handy.

Where on Pritchett would you need to do this? I remember just about everything being down hill if you had to turn around. I thought about buying one once but I've got away with a tree saver and a winch.

Where on Pritchett would you need to do this? I remember just about everything being down hill if you had to turn around. I thought about buying one once but I've got away with a tree saver and a winch.

He has much bigger problems. Broken axle shaft in the rear and drive line in the front. He needed to winch the whole way out. I thought it was stupid.... Not one rig turned around with him..... We broke a front shaft on rocker knocker and came back out and helped him out...

I totally agree with you and that's how I roll too. Just feeding the thought box.

ttfhell

He has much bigger problems. Broken axle shaft in the rear and drive line in the front. He needed to winch the whole way out. I thought it was stupid.... Not one rig turned around with him..... We broke a front shaft on rocker knocker and came back out and helped him out...

I totally agree with you and that's how I roll too. Just feeding the thought box.

Those are the fuckers you never wheel again with. Karma lol

WJCO

Meme King
I'm glad someone brought this up. I too was looking at one, but truthfully don't want to pay 300+ for something I won't use. Anybody have one and have experience with it? Smittybuilt makes a smaller and cheaper version called the WASP. I like the price but also, most of the time you pay for what you get .................

I'm glad someone brought this up. I too was looking at one, but truthfully don't want to pay 300+ for something I won't use. Anybody have one and have experience with it? Smittybuilt makes a smaller and cheaper version called the WASP. I like the price but also, most of the time you pay for what you get .................

Smittybuilt=shittybuilt!!!!! No way. It's like a winch, why put your life in danger.

David1tontj

Are you saying that you also left them? Until you yourself were broken and had to go out? ...Hmmmm..

Anyway- not ideal, and not quick- but you can always bury your spare tire with the winch hook attached to it.. I have never had to do this, but always have it in the back of my head.

Even in desert conditions, I have been able to winch to small bushes, and often, you only need a little tug. So far, so good, and I hope my luck doesn't run out, although it's not much of a problem now up here in the pnw!

Are you saying that you also left them? Until you yourself were broken and had to go out? ...Hmmmm..

Anyway- not ideal, and not quick- but you can always bury your spare tire with the winch hook attached to it.. I have never had to do this, but always have it in the back of my head.

Even in desert conditions, I have been able to winch to small bushes, and often, you only need a little tug. So far, so good, and I hope my luck doesn't run out, although it's not much of a problem now up here in the pnw!

Hahahah.... Nope! Found his group first on the way out then him. Sorry if I made it sound that way. He was insistent that we go on ahead. NO way though..... He was super appreciative once we had him back to the trail head. His group showed up about the same time to the trail head from the other side..... A holes!

David1tontj

Hahahah.... Nope! Found his group first on the way out then him. Sorry if I made it sound that way. He was insistent that we go on ahead. NO way though..... He was super appreciative once we had him back to the trail head. His group showed up about the same time to the trail head from the other side..... A holes!

Happy to hear that! I didn't think that's what happened, but it wasn't too clear. I just don't understand people like that!

Wardell

I'd add the Australian outback, Alaska and the Canadian Territories to the list too. Maybe a few other places where people wheel in predominantly sandy or boggy areas too. It's still a short list of places they might be useful.

Aspenkid, I'm planning to get a land anchor of some sort, but it's pretty far down the list of things to buy. Up here, there are large areas of soft muskeg where there either aren't many trees or their growth is too stunted and small to winch off of. Mind you, as long as you travel with a few other vehicles and aren't dumb enough to get everyone stuck at once (or leave somebody behind - I get what you're saying, but I'd be more of the mind of keeping everyone together rather than have two broken Jeeps trying to limp their way back), you can either winch off or be winched by another vehicle, or you can simply tow each other out. That's no different than anywhere else really.

There are really only two different designs for land anchors on the market that I've seen: the Pull-Pal that you mentioned (which AEV and I think a few other companies makes a version of) and the Portable Rescue Tree (aka "PRT," which both ARB and Smittybilt make a version of). Both were designed by entrepreneurs, and I'm pretty sure they licensed them to the bigger companies. I haven't decided which design I think is better. The PRT looks like it would fold down smaller, but with the Pull-Pal you just have to pull off the spade, and you should be able to mount the rest of it wherever you could fit a hi-lift jack. Otherwise, they look just as effective at biting into the ground.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'd add the Australian outback, Alaska and the Canadian Territories to the list too. Maybe a few other places where people wheel in predominantly sandy or boggy areas too. It's still a short list of places they might be useful.

Aspenkid, I'm planning to get a land anchor of some sort, but it's pretty far down the list of things to buy. Up here, there are large areas of soft muskeg where there either aren't many trees or their growth is too stunted and small to winch off of. Mind you, as long as you travel with a few other vehicles and aren't dumb enough to get everyone stuck at once (or leave somebody behind - I get what you're saying, but I'd be more of the mind of keeping everyone together rather than have two broken Jeeps trying to limp their way back), you can either winch off or be winched by another vehicle, or you can simply tow each other out. That's no different than anywhere else really.

I consider all that the African desert since nobody goes there. :blah:

Kidding of course. I do agree with you on those places.

WJCO

Meme King
I have no experience myself on Smittybuilt, I just noticed the price. I bought the Warn winch for the reason you mentioned above though. Willing to pay more money to do it right the first time.

Top Bottom