FYI on Aftermarket parts for Connecticut Jeepers, in case you didn't know......

WJCO

Meme King
From: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/BA/2015SB-00099-R01-BA.htm

stating:

"NEW CAR DEALER NOTICE ON WARRANTY

This bill requires new car dealers to deliver to the purchaser of a new vehicle, at the time of sale, the following written statement in at least 10-point boldface type:

"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 USC 2301 et seq. , makes it illegal for motor vehicle manufacturers or dealers to void a motor vehicle warranty or deny coverage under the motor vehicle warranty simply because an aftermarket or recycled part was installed or used on the vehicle or simply because someone other than the dealer performed service on the vehicle. It is illegal for a manufacturer or dealer to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. If it turns out that an aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The Federal Trade Commission requires the manufacturer or dealer to show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage. "

Under the bill, an “aftermarket part” is one made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or original equipment manufacturer and a “recycled part” is a part made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse.

The bill does not specify any penalties for failing to provide the notice."

mackey

I am going to print this and give it to my local Strealership after they try to screw with me again.

WJCO

Meme King
I think it's a good law, however, may not work with extended warranties as your contract is between you and them, as opposed to factory warranties being with the manufacturer or dealer. I think more states will start doing these things.

WJCO

Meme King
Someone in another forum pointed out that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act has been around since 1975, however, I couldn't really find any direct langauge in it about aftermarket parts, a lot of this is implied and would have to be fought over in court. Connecticut did a good thing by putting the language right in the faces of the dealer when they sell a car.

WJCO

Meme King
Maybe, maybe not. I think it's a good piece of ammunition to bring to the attention of the service manager though and basically say, "Can you please prove to me that my modification caused this part to fail." Of course, obviously any of this could be fought over, and taken to court levels too.

Wardell

As stated, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act isn't new at all. All this sounds like is that dealers in Connecticut are now required to tell you about the MM Act when they sell you the vehicle. That won't stop them from trying to blame any little defect on any aftermarket part you've installed, no matter how specious their explanation is. If they aren't a mod friendly dealer or you just don't have a good customer relationship with them, they could use any flimsy excuse to deny you warranty work and you'd pretty much have to take them to court. They would be betting that won't be worth the time or money for you.

You might want to read about Eddie's bad warranty experiences - it can be surprising the things they will could try to get away with. I'd been saying some of the same things as you guys before he posted this up here.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...WILL-VOID-Your-Warranty-if-You-Lift-Your-Jeep

Top Bottom