CB Help!

Hobolobo

I'm installing a Cobra 29 for an upcoming trip and I'm having problems getting my SWR reading below a 3. While I adjust grounds, I was wondering if my coax might be an issue. The only 18' coax that they had in stock was a co-phase (2 ended) coax. Can I run a single antenna on this cable without any issues?

chipper

I don't think you can. You'll mess up your radio talking on it with your swr's very high. Try a 21 ft coax, that's what's recommend by most cb shops. Easier to set low swr's.

Bkgerman

I run a single fiberglass of the back take the tip off and remove a quarter of a turn at a time this will bring swr down

Hobolobo

I don't think you can. You'll mess up your radio talking on it with your swr's very high. Try a 21 ft coax, that's what's recommend by most cb shops. Easier to set low swr's.

I'm not using it yet, just trying to get the swr down before i have to. I may try a 21' if nothing else is working.

chipper

Not sure if my antenna is tunable. I'll give it a shot though as long as it wont wiggle loose.

If it's a fiberglass one. Take the rubber tip off. Some have a tunable screw. Others you have to trim the wire with a pair of snips. Little at a time. If you have a steel whip. Take the whip out and Trim off the bottom. Little at a time.

chipper

Its a 3' firestick. No screw, so I just trim a lil fiberglass off the top?

You have to take the rubber tip off the top. Look for the wire that's wrapped around the fiberglass stick. That's what you need to trim. When your SWR's are where you want them. Put the rubber tip back on.

Before you "trim" your antenna make sure it is too long NOT to short.

If the SWR on channel 40 is higher than that on channel 1, your antenna is too long.
If the SWR on channel 1 is higher than that on channel 40, your antenna is too short.

Good Luck :beer:

rinkishjk

U cannot use a co phased coax for a single antenna. Also make sure your plastic washer on the stud mount are in the correct place to isolate the antenna.

BDSJEEP

I'm installing a Cobra 29 for an upcoming trip and I'm having problems getting my SWR reading below a 3. While I adjust grounds, I was wondering if my coax might be an issue. The only 18' coax that they had in stock was a co-phase (2 ended) coax. Can I run a single antenna on this cable without any issues?

No, you can not, the coax resistance is different for co phased. Just replace your coax to the proper 50 ohm and be done with it.

Top Bottom