NEW Painless Performance Trail Rocker Option!

dillard09

Well guys I wanted to give my review of the Trail Rocker.
So I have an 08 JK, so I purchased the 57002. When I recieved it in the mail I quickly opened it. The relay center is very well built, the wire are labeled for easy wiring, and they are plenty long enough to possible reach the rear bumper.
So upon install is where I ran into a problem. I could not get the relay center to line up on the battery mount bracket. Of course this was on Sat and Painless is closed. So I sent a message on Wayalife to Painless Performance about my issues and within minutes I had a response back. AWESOME! Andrew from Painless wanted me to snap a few pics of the bracket on the Trail Rocker and of my battery mount. So I did and sent them over. He was actually on the road traveling and would not be in the office till Tuesday. We sent a couple more email back and forth and by 10am Tuesday morning I had the trail rocker installed.
So the first issue was the bracket was missing a hole for mounting it to the battery tray. Andrew said they could send the correct bracket or I could just drill the hole. Easy fix by mocking it and drilling a hole in the proper place. Done.
Second issue is I have a Interstate battery that is taller than the stock. So the relay center actually hits the negative post on the battery. I was able to installed the negative terminal and the relay center and pull it down snug on top of the negative post. Andrew said as long as it did not come in contact with the positive that there should be no issue.
So after that the install went smooth and easy.
I now have my 20" light bar and 2 A pillars hooked up to one switch and it works flawless.
I do have to say that the Trail Rocker is a very solidly built product and would buy again. Now the customer service is above and beyond superior there at Painless.
Thanks again Andrew and Painless for your time and help. You guys are AWESOME!

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Well guys I wanted to give my review of the Trail Rocker.
So I have an 08 JK, so I purchased the 57002. When I recieved it in the mail I quickly opened it. The relay center is very well built, the wire are labeled for easy wiring, and they are plenty long enough to possible reach the rear bumper.
So upon install is where I ran into a problem. I could not get the relay center to line up on the battery mount bracket. Of course this was on Sat and Painless is closed. So I sent a message on Wayalife to Painless Performance about my issues and within minutes I had a response back. AWESOME! Andrew from Painless wanted me to snap a few pics of the bracket on the Trail Rocker and of my battery mount. So I did and sent them over. He was actually on the road traveling and would not be in the office till Tuesday. We sent a couple more email back and forth and by 10am Tuesday morning I had the trail rocker installed.
So the first issue was the bracket was missing a hole for mounting it to the battery tray. Andrew said they could send the correct bracket or I could just drill the hole. Easy fix by mocking it and drilling a hole in the proper place. Done.
Second issue is I have a Interstate battery that is taller than the stock. So the relay center actually hits the negative post on the battery. I was able to installed the negative terminal and the relay center and pull it down snug on top of the negative post. Andrew said as long as it did not come in contact with the positive that there should be no issue.
So after that the install went smooth and easy.
I now have my 20" light bar and 2 A pillars hooked up to one switch and it works flawless.
I do have to say that the Trail Rocker is a very solidly built product and would buy again. Now the customer service is above and beyond superior there at Painless.
Thanks again Andrew and Painless for your time and help. You guys are AWESOME!

Awesome review may need to add to my build list
Thank you for sharing

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Figured I'd bump this thread. Any word on the custom switch covers availability? If I have to get them from OTRATTW what rocker do I need? They have a Contura II and III, Contura V, Contura XIV option.

Last edited:

coop9779

I ordered the contura XIV for mine. They look just like the ones on the trail rocker so they should fit.... I'll let you know as soon as they show up

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I ordered the contura XIV for mine. They look just like the ones on the trail rocker so they should fit.... I'll let you know as soon as they show up

I noticed the same thing. The Contura XIV appear to be the same as the Trail Rocker switches, just want to be sure before I order.

Figured I'd bump this thread. Any word on the custom switch covers availability? If I have to get them from OTRATTW what rocker do I need? They have a Contura II and III, Contura V, Contura XIV option.

We are still working towards the custom covers, but they are currently delayed. The Contura XIV from OTRATTW will definitely work for you.

Any word on the overhead switch panels?

The boxes are built and powder coated, we are just waiting for some tooling to properly crimp the connectors we went with. Since we made the box as compact as possible we had to use a different style insulated connector.

The boxes are built and powder coated, we are just waiting for some tooling to properly crimp the connectors we went with. Since we made the box as compact as possible we had to use a different style insulated connector.

Any spy pics? I'm in no hurry as I'm still waiting on my jeep but pics are always awesome. thanks for the reply :thumb::thumb:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I've been running a trail rocker since last fall. It was my first mod so I didn't have to cut any factory wiring. Install went great. The only problem was finding what to power with it so I could get rid of the giant roll of wire under the hood. I went with OTRATTW contura custom switch covers- they fit right on.

It would be cool to have a different color than white LED- but I think the whole switch would need to be swapped out. Any idea what model number switches they are?

The right side double rocker switch- I'd love to figure out how to wire my winch to it. Obviously the switch would have to be swapped to a momentary switch version of the rocker. Another problem is I think warn switches the grounds too so I don't know how to tackle that project yet.

Bluewillys

Any word on when this will be ready for the standard? I like the product and hooking it up to 4 switches on my a pillar seems like under utilizing it

WJCO

Meme King
Question for Painless Performance: I figured I'd post this here rather than start a new thread. I'm planning on running 0 gauge cable to the back of my WJ (about 25 feet) and creating an auxiliary power port back there for a welder and a compressor. I've looked at two of your terminals (pictured below). Would either of these work ok as far as handling the heat/amperage for a welder? Or do you have any other suggestions? The only reason I'm doing it this way is because I have no room left under my hood for the welder or compressor.

764-40106.jpg

80116.jpg

Dubaibentzen

Any news on the release of the overhead panel?
The website still says:

P/N 57006
2007-16 Jeep Wrangler JK Trail Rocker Accessory Control System (Overhead Panel)

Coming Soon!

The setup looks super easy, and I cant wait to get one :thumb:

Mr.Incredible

I have a question as well that maybe any of you that have one can answer. Is it possible to set up any of the switches ign. or batt. or is it one or the other?

DRTYRAT30

I have one I just installed. I think you're asking if you can have the unit powered up with an ignition or key on? Yes you can. It gives you the option for constant powered from battery or power activated from the ignition.

DRTYRAT30

It's configured so once the ignition is turned on there is power to all switches. You can always add inline switched to kill power to individual switches. If you do a search of trail rocker instructions it explains it in detail.

I have mine wired to constant power without keyed ignition and will add a inline power kill switch to my frt&rear e-locker switches. To prevent accidental engagement at speed.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I have a question as well that maybe any of you that have one can answer. Is it possible to set up any of the switches ign. or batt. or is it one or the other?

There is a few extra optional steps in the installation manual that allows you to install the Trail Rocker with key on power. What ever way you choose ( key on power or direct key off battery power) will apply to all of the switches. There isn't a way to wire individual switches different ways. I have mine installed with key off direct battery power. If you wanted a safety to prevent engaging lockers you could just pull the ARB air compressor relay, or just pull the fuses out of the Trail Rocker box for those switches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom